Thread: Kodiak bear aged @ 5

Default Kodiak bear aged @ 5

Just received a letter from kodiak fish & game that the bear i harvested in the fall of 07. Had a skull that green scored 26.81 was aged by a lab @ approximately 5 years old. Sound about right?

Default age

i would assume brown bear grow faster than our interior grizzlys, but i killed a good bear a few years ago that was 21 years old, most of the teeth were worn or gone and the bio. that first looked at it guessed its age at over 30. then a hunter i had last fall killed an obvious young boar with a skull as large as the bear i killed?? So im not really sure how age and skull size relate after a few years.

Default Big head

I killed a 5 year old 8 1/2 footer with a 25 1/2" skull, and a 9 year old 9 1/2 footer with a 26 1/2" skull, both in SW. That bear was growing a pretty good melon. What did he square? I'm surprised they sent you a letter. I had to contact F&G to find the ages of mine. I've killed to big blackies (6'9" and 7') on POW and have never received their ages, I'd love to know. I guess I'll have to call Ketchican. Good job shooting a big headed bear.

He squared 9ft 10".:d i was also surprized when i received the notice in the mail today. THE FINAL SCORE OF THE SKULL WAS 26 10/16

Default Nice!

That sounds like an awesome bear. Did you have him rugged or lifesized? how about some pix? Here's a pic of my big one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will be doing lifesize.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey 10PTBUCK,

Just got my letter also, 9 yrs old and 27.19 on the noggin. Got it in 2007. Amazing how fast those bears grow. Congrats on your bear.

That's a nice bear, I really like the white claws. How come you look so happy?

Talking Day 15

Alot of joy when it finally comes together on day 15 & about 13 days of rain. :d

I killed a nice bear in Kodiak too in oct.2008....karluk area....squared 8'9" and was said to be 5 years old as well, a sow it was.....skull was 24 3/4"...the only bear we saw for 10 days while deer hunting...except for one really small boar that waited for my buddy to leave his deer kill...funny thing is ive seen some really BIG bears on the kenai peninsula....a friend of mine drew a tag for unit 7 awhile back and he killed a 9'6" boar that they told him was 26 years old, almost no hind claws left..killed him off of a dead moose... he gave us the slip 4 times before we finally outsmarted him just about dark...he didnt get that big and old by being stupid for sure...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

shot in 07 and just recieved letter? that explains a lot i was wondering when mine would come... last springs bears i was given the option of being notified when i tagged them.... i have been waiting so i guess i have almost a year to go yet
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    That's a nice bear, I really like the white claws. How come you look so happy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PTBUCK View Post
    Alot of joy when it finally comes together on day 15 & about 13 days of rain. :d

LOL i kinda figured it was he didn't jump up and say BOO! when you walked up on him
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by 10PTBUCK View Post
    He squared 9ft 10".:d i was also surprized when i received the notice in the mail today. THE FINAL SCORE OF THE SKULL WAS 26 10/16
    IIRC, the grizz I shot that squared 9'6" that scored the same as yours was 16 years old. I'm guessing genetics has more to do with it than anything...

shot a 10' on kodiak last spring that was 6 years old, bear before that was 9'11" that was about 10, a 10.5 footer was aged at 12, the nine eleven had a skull about the same size as the ten and a half....
    bears are like people...all grow different speeds and shapes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

With that said I hope I find one that has no discipline what so ever. One that visits the Country Buffett on a dialy basis and has border line learning disabled.

I have aged ungulates by taking a dremel tool and sectioning a tooth (cut cross-wise) and then looking at it under a microscope at the local his school. Teeth grow like and tree and have annual rings the same way. I believe you can do the same with bears. It is fun knowing how old a critter is and where they have potentially traveled. Enjoy. J.

I shot a brown Bear out of Dillingham in spring '07. He was 11 years old and squared 9'4" with a skull of 25 14/16. The other hunter in camp got a 17yo bear that squared the same but the skull was 28" and a bit.