Thread: different ball diameters

Default different ball diameters

Been looking at some used round ball moulds on track of the wolf, they have 3 different sizes all listed for the 50 cal. .490 .495 and .509 the bigger is obviously the heaviest but it doesnt say by how much? Is the .490 the standard size? I see hornady round balls in stores here are all .490? Also does anyone have any experince hunting with the lee real bullets? are they acurrate? I will be useing them in a pro hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Been looking at some used round ball moulds on track of the wolf, they have 3 different sizes all listed for the 50 cal. .490 .495 and .509 the bigger is obviously the heaviest but it doesnt say by how much? Is the .490 the standard size? I see hornady round balls in stores here are all .490? Also does anyone have any experince hunting with the lee real bullets? are they acurrate? I will be useing them in a pro hunter.
    Round balls are pretty specific to the barrel, with adjustments in patch thickness to compensate. A .490 ball is more or less standard for 50 cal in many brands, along with a .018 or .015 patch. Some folks' rifles shoot better with a .495 ball and thinner patches. I'm betting that a .509 ball is more intended for the oddball 52 caliber barrel floating around.

If possible, mike your barrel to confirm bore diameter, or if it's a pretty standard brand read the manufacturer's reco's. My two 50 cals both do just fine with my own homecast or commercial .490's and .018 pillow ticking patches.

REAL bullets can be dandy, but they absolutely have to be cast from pure lead, or you'll have a dickens of a time getting them to seat in the bore. That top ring on them is groove diameter and "engraves" on the rifling as you seat it. Darned tough to do with harder lead alloys.

You'll find that many cast conicals shoot best with a lubed felt wad between them and the powder. This is especially true for REALs. I'm okay with REALs, but feel that the plains bullet from Lyman is a much better game bullet due to its big flat nose and heavier weight. Lyman molds cost more than Lee, but the improvements in accuracy and game performance over REAL is worthwhile in my book. I don't have it at my fingertips, but if you need a link to the Lyman mold I can provide it.

Default thanks

Thanks brownbear I was kinda confused on the different ball sizes. If you have a link on the lyman mould by all means send it. I wish i could get a more traditional gun but i shoot left hand and blackpowder traditional guns in left hand are a special order only deal here and that might mean a year or more wait, so am going with a new barrel on my thompson. i do have an old 50 cal knight that uses the plastic jackets it shoots real good but the plastic jackets are a pain and i dont like the saftey. Have you hunted with RB much? only thing i ever saw shot with a RB was a bear my son shot. Will the wad over powder help with pellets? A hunter gave me a bunch and when i tried to shoot no excuses with the pellets i couldnt hit a 4+4 piece of plywood at 50 yards so i just gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Thanks brownbear I was kinda confused on the different ball sizes. If you have a link on the lyman mould by all means send it. I wish i could get a more traditional gun but i shoot left hand and blackpowder traditional guns in left hand are a special order only deal here and that might mean a year or more wait, so am going with a new barrel on my thompson. i do have an old 50 cal knight that uses the plastic jackets it shoots real good but the plastic jackets are a pain and i dont like the saftey. Have you hunted with RB much? only thing i ever saw shot with a RB was a bear my son shot. Will the wad over powder help with pellets? A hunter gave me a bunch and when i tried to shoot no excuses with the pellets i couldnt hit a 4+4 piece of plywood at 50 yards so i just gave up.
    Here is a link to the Lyman plains bullet at The Gun Works site. It comes in at 395 grains and is a pure Jimdandy on game.

I'm a lefty too, and while I have no problems with right-handed traditional percussion guns, I refuse to shoot right-handed flinters after a near miss on losing an eye. I've used RBs quite a bit on game and have always been delighted with performance and accuracy.

You say "pellets" do you mean powder pellets? In my 54 cal Knight they performed fine without the felt wad, though it would be the first thing I'd try if they didn't. I was getting 1-2" groups with the plains bullet at 50 yards when I scoped my Knight, though I can't hold that well with open sights. Sounds like a gas leakage problem in your gun, and I'd expect the wad to solve that.

Default pellets

yea they were pyrodex pellets, will try a felt wad over the pellet and try that. Today me and my son tested some of Jim Shockeys gold powder. We shot some through his great plains pistol with round ball, and I loaded up some 45/70 70 powder over the cast 457193 bullet, both guns shot very well (rifle was a marlin guide) Very clean powder! cant wait to shoot this load over a friends chrono. Thanks for the link.