Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 358Win Hawkeye Is Here - Range Report Starts Soon

Default 358Win Hawkeye Is Here - Range Report Starts Soon

Well it is finally here and some pictures of the rifle. I will start the range report this afternoon or tomorrow if weather permits me to do so. Well, it begins, the story of Mr. Magic. Sure hope I name this thing right.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well it is not an Weatherby Accumark or Custom but it is what it is for work 300yds and under. The velocities were not where I want them but I am not at max loads yet since this is the first time I have ever load for the 358Win.

I got fair accuracy for a hunting rifle but I will change charges and primers going to Fed 215 instead of 210. WW748 to slow as is IMR4895 and accuracy was not that good. I will be going to up my charges and get close to max with IMR4320, Accurate 2495 and Varget.

1. Varget

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

2.IMR4320

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

3. Accurate 2495

Group size .946"
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Mmmm

Like you say, respectable but not great. I'm assuming that was a 200 grain bullet?

Don't know if you have gotten there yet or not, but check on bullet jump to the rifling. Mine are all sensitive to that, and as a general rule of thumb with 200's, accuracy improves as you edge toward max.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Like you say, respectable but not great. I'm assuming that was a 200 grain bullet?

Don't know if you have gotten there yet or not, but check on bullet jump to the rifling. Mine are all sensitive to that, and as a general rule of thumb with 200's, accuracy improves as you edge toward max.
    Those were 225gr Sierra's and I have some 225gr Partitions on the way. I will find the load. If I could get one under an inch for the first time loading this cartridge and just got the rifle, I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ... I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
    Hmmmmm... wonder how TSX's might do?

Those were 225gr Sierra's and I have some 225gr Partitions on the way. I will find the load. If I could get one under an inch for the first time loading this cartridge and just got the rifle, I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
    BTW-

How do you like that 1.5x5? Is the balance of the rifle with it onboard as appealing to you as it is to me?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    BTW-

How do you like that 1.5x5? Is the balance of the rifle with it onboard as appealing to you as it is to me?
    I love the balance and feel of this Hawkeye with the 1.5-5, Ruger has done a good job on this rifle's ergonomics and the Leupold is perfect for this set up. This will be a very easy rifle to throw up and be right on my target real quick and will be easy to use when I spot and stalk.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Hmmmmm... wonder how TSX's might do?

I feel from my experience that the TSX in this cal at these slower velocities is not what I want. If I wanted to poke a rod through game I would use it with this cartridge but I want something that will open up and like the Partition shed some of the front and the back half will do the rest. This is my preference with this cartridge and only my opinion.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm using 48.5gr of IMR 4320 using CCI 200 primers and Sierra 225gr bullets. I have the ruger hawkeye with the synthetic stock.

Hmmm....virtually every single target you showed of your former Weatherby's was better than the best of that Ruger. Not trying to rain on your parade, but, oh well. Looks like some work ahead of you. Start by bedding everything and getting the barrel floated.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Leupold 1.5X5

I've owned and hunted with these extensively for many years, both US and Africa.

The one issue that always bugged me (other than a 20MM objective) was that the barrel was visible through the scope at lower power settings (below say 3 X or so).

Never tried a 1.75X6. Can anyone comment if this "barrel in the scope" phenomenom happens with this model?

i have been using aa2015 with 200gr rem core-locks with satisfactory results.....and have taken deer and elk with it. great bullet expansion AND penetration. all told 7 head of game, one shot kills.

my load is cci 200 primer with remington brass 42.1 gr aa2015 + 200gr rem bullet = 2519fps-2528fps. this load is safe and accurate in my rifle (browning blr) but you should start lower and work up.

happy trails.
    jh

Well, as God is my witness (and I know what He says about all liars). I just shot one of the best groups of my life if not the best with an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win.

The trigger on this New Ruger Hawkeye is absolutely great as good as the one on my Mark V Custom. In fact it out shot my Mark V Custom.

I will post the worst group today which was with Varget at 2491fps and one that represents other groups and powders I use today and then the best group using 46.5grs of Accurate 2495 with 215 Fed primers (that do make a difference) and Winchester brass with the 225gr Sierra HPBT and OAL was 2.7695" moving 2392fps

This was 2495 using 46grs, I started to write the wrong thing on this target.

Best three shot group and I will let you subtract the bore

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The 220 grain Speer semi-sptizers that have the little flat point are really accurate for some reason. Since they are a flat base, they would not be the best choice for super long shots, but in real life hunting situations a 200 yard shot is pretty far.

51.5 grains of IMR 4895 and a 220 grain Speer will go 2,500 fps. I think that bullet wuld perform pretty good between 1900 fps and 2500 fps.

41 grains of H4198 should do about the same thing with a 220.

With your Sierra 225s have you tried any IMR 4320? 48.5 grains of that with a standard primer, loaded at 2.765 inch COL.

With my Rugers, they seem to get much better after 100 rounds.
    Plus my 350 Rem Mag needed a lttle re-crowning on the muzzle.

I have some 225 grain Nosler accubond boat-tails that would be interesting to try in your 358 Win. They are a little too long for the 350 Rem Mag so you can't get a lot of powder in the case, but they sure as fire are accurate.

Maybe your rifling twist would like the 200s going as fast as possible...??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well, as God is my witness (and I know what He says about all liars). I just shot one of the best groups of my life if not the best with an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win.

The trigger on this New Ruger Hawkeye is absolutely great as good as the one on my Mark V Custom. In fact it out shot my Mark V Custom.

I will post the worst group today which was with Varget at 2491fps and one that represents other groups and powders I use today and then the best group using 46.5grs of Accurate 2495 with 215 Fed primers (that do make a difference) and Winchester brass with the 225gr Sierra HPBT and OAL was 2.7695" moving 2392fps

This was 2495 using 46grs, I started to write the wrong thing on this target.

Best three shot group and I will let you subtract the bore

bt: wow!!!!!! can't argue with results.........great shooting, and thanks for the pics.
    jh

nice. kind of makes me want to get one, only problem is i dont reload and i only have 1 box of winchester 358 sitting on the shelf. maybe 35 whelen.

Yeah, that is one cool group and what an exciting morning. I really worked hard last night to make sure my reloads were the best I could do and I also worked hard making sure that I had proper shooting technique and consistent position from shot to shot. I can't say enough about he trigger on this Ruger. I was totally blown away yesterday and today with how nice it is. It is so much fun to shoot a rifle that is not suppose to shoot like a custom and then to be able to do it. Yep, God gave me another good morning and fun with my new rifle and loads. This will be fun to use next fall in those creek bottoms that bump up against those pine thickets for sure.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You know that having stacked firewood in a winter photo that is not covered with 3 feet of snow,,, is just not right....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast