Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Mounts

Default Sheep Mounts

Well, after years and years of walking my ass off, trying to get my beloved ram, I did it this year (3rd year of saying, THIS is the year)!!! Anyway, with the cape at the tannery, and a return time looking at three weeks, I need to be ordering a form. I was hoping some of you sheep hunters with mounts out there, might be willing to post a few pics of them, just so I can get an idea of what I like.

Right now, I am leaning towards a right turn, semi sneak form from McKenzie. Anyway, any pics would be greatly appreciated. **** I can't wait till August 10th!!!!

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a slight left.

Kurt

Talking mount pose

Congrats J.

Hey, when your deciding on a sheep mount form consider:
    1) Where will it be in your trophy room? If the sheep will be in a corner at the far left side of a wall a right side sneak might be a poor choice. A right side of a wall would be great.
    Space can be at premium when a hunter gets lots of critters. Its always nice to be able to plan ahead for the best pose and spot if one can. Plan for that next ram too (assumng you have the "bug") I have a couple of rams that angle slightly to each other. Sometimes when sheep are together on a wall, looking in slightly opposite directions looks great.
    2) Accentuate the highlights of your ram. You have a beauty there, he looks broomed on his right and lamb-tipped on his left? What appeals to you most? If the lamb tipped side really does it for you maybe a slight turn to his right is in order or vise versa.

Btw, your other critters look great too.

fk

Kurt,

What's the details on that bison mount? A delta animal or what? That mount looks awesome. So does that 'bou.

Matt, the Bison is a Delta buff I drew last year. The caribou is a Nelchina, the Ram is a Chugach ram from 1994, 7/8 and 8 yrs old. In those days it was an any sheep hunt.

The Bison was exceptionally dark in color, probably around 4yrs old, but big for it's age...and tender eating.

Kurt

Matt, send me a pm with your email add.

Kurt

Default bison

why are the horns crooked on the bison mount?

Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    why are the horns crooked on the bison mount?
    Too many novice taxidermists do not use a grid background when developing the form. They rely on their eye and instinct. Sort of like the way some line up the crosshairs when mounting a scope to a rifle.

Kurt -- here's a left turn
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

another view
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Awesome!

Romo:

That ram is a beauty! I have 10 months to wait till my first hunt. The more animals I see, the worse it gets! lol

Default Sheep mount

Here's the ram i took in '95, turn to the left.

AKHunter - Wow. I am pretty happy with the sheep success I've had, but if I killed a ram like that I could die a happy sheep hunter. Absolutely phenomenal ram you've got there.

-Brian

Thanks Brian, I am very pleased with my ram and I hope to someday find one for my wife. He taped out at 37 3/4 inches and his bases were 14 1/4, though I'm sure since the last time I measured him he has shrunk some. Brooks Range ram.
    Oh yeah, thats a right turn, not left......my bad.

Default Why are they crooked?, Novice tax...

isnarewolves "why are the horns crooked on the bison mount?"

Akres "Too many novice taxidermists do not use a grid background when developing the form. They rely on their eye and instinct. Sort of like the way some line up the crosshairs when mounting a scope to a rifle."

I didn't want this discussion to take away from the original thread, so didn't respond at that time.

The horn is crooked because that's the way God, or the creator of you're choice made it. I chose to have it mounted as it was rather than create something that wasn't.
    Like people, there are few perfect animals in the real world, why change what is?

This particular animal also had broken it's left front ankle sometime it it's first year, it's skull reflects the imperfect horn, possibly injured at that time? Perhaps it's his femine side, cows horns turn in? It is what it is, and what you see is what you get.

This doesn't mean you can't do it differently, and I wouldn't fault you for it, it's your choice.

I was thrilled to have drawn that tag, even more so that my son and I had the opportunity to do that hunt, that's what counts in my book.

You guys that posted your sheep pictures, congratulations, beautiful Rams!

Kurt

Default +1 KurtS

Kurt, I agree.

Antlers and horns are curved, leaning and twisted due to a variety of reasons, I've heard its often just because the animal carrying them laid his head down on one side predominantly.

I have a mounted whitetail buck that has a rack leaning in on one side...He's all natural in that respect.

Nice Buff!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Well, after years and years of walking my ass off, trying to get my beloved ram, I did it this year (3rd year of saying, THIS is the year)!!! Anyway, with the cape at the tannery, and a return time looking at three weeks, I need to be ordering a form. I was hoping some of you sheep hunters with mounts out there, might be willing to post a few pics of them, just so I can get an idea of what I like.

Right now, I am leaning towards a right turn, semi sneak form from McKenzie. Anyway, any pics would be greatly appreciated. **** I can't wait till August 10th!!!!

J

Beautiful sheep. I am really wanting to bow hunt sheep next year.
    Did you do a walk in hunt or get dropped off?
    Marc Theiler

Awesome pics of great trophies.

Anyone have any pics of euro mounts on sheep or anything else for that matter? I am working on my ram I got this year. Got all the stinky outside work done. Simmered it, soaked the dickens out of it, got the horns off and the skull about as clean as is it gets. As of today it's in the basement. About done degreasing the skull. Might bleach it next week. Any pointers are welcomed.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default crooked horns

Here is an example of a sheep with crooked horns. His right side stayed in close to his head you can barely put a fist between the horn and his jaw. His left side came up higher and grows further out away from the head, you could stick a couple of fist between the jaw and horn. The taxidermist asked about trying to straighten them up, but I wanted to keep it just how he was. Something with a little character.

Default Sheep mounts

Here is a look at my sheep from '04 which is the lower proud look, straight look. My '05 sheep is in a sneak look, the upper one, turned right. I prefer the sneak over the proud look. My '06 sheep will be in the sneak look with head turned left. All forms are from research manikans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast