Thread: Longbow builders

Default Longbow builders

Is there anyone local you guys would recommend to build a good stick bow for me? I am starting out in the stickbow world and I want to get a good one. I have a PSE recurve now but a bud of mine shot it a couple of times and was pretty negative. He hated it. He claims I'll be alot better off getting a GOOD one built. Looking for some advice.
    Thanks Kevin

Kevin

You might be better off getting a good used custom bow. One strait from the bowyer can be very pricey and in some cases you wont get it for up to 18 months. There are also tons of really good vintage bows on the market, you should be able to get a variety of Bear, Pearson or Darton bows that will out shoot any production bow made today and preform as well as many custom bows for less than $300, a "good" custom bow will start at $900. If your local and would like to shoot a few classics I would be glad to meet you at the archers den so you can shoot a few of mine.

A word of caution, the world of traditional archery is full of really great people and more than a few snobbish bone heads. Lots of folks will tell you your bow stinks unless it's..... custom, a bear, a black widow, made from all natural materials, is newer than 40 years, is older than 40 years, wasn't made during a full moon.......you get the idea. Take all opinions for what they are worth and do what works best for you. BTW I've shot a few of the lower end PSE bows and for the money they aren't that bad and will serve the average beginner well for several years, and the best shooting bow in my collection cost me $60!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I see your in Chugiack Drop me a PM.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I agree with Rick there are a lot of good used bows around.And just because your bud don't like to shoot your bow doesn't mean that it is no good. There are also a lot of good bow makers out there. I have one custom built bow that I think is great. Made by Dan Toelke in Montana. Took about four weeks to get it after I ordered it. I don't think that you could get better service or a better bow for the price anywhere than I did from him. Here is his web site it has his different bows and price lists. http://montanabows.com