Thread: Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight, Worth the money?

Default Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight, Worth the money?

I am shopping for a lightweight hunting rifle in a medium sized caliber and i was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the weatherby. It sure looks and feels nice but how much accuracy is sacrificed with the super light contour barrel? I tried searching the net for reviews but couldnt find much. Is it really worth $300 more than the kimber or double the rugers/remingtons. Any input will be appreciated.

I'll relate my experience although others on here might have different ones they'd share.

I wanted a MkV ULW in the worst way and was steadily saving money for a purchase. A friend of mine acquired one in a trade or some sort with the intent of making himself a sheep rifle. In short- that rifle wouldn't shoot for beans. 5-6" groups, even when shot slow with plenty of cooling between shots. He tinkered and handloaded and never did get that rifle to shoot right. He gave up on it and traded it off and got something else. Weatherby would likely have made it right if he had sent it back but he didn't bother.

I cooled off on getting one after that experience and hearing some others with similar tales of finicky rifles and apparently random accuracy. I don't think its systemic but I've heard of quite a few at this point. At the price point (about $1700 IIRC) you should get a much better chance of reliable accuracy. I've heard of a few that shot acceptably but I think you should hear of a few more.

Of course your mileage may vary but I think you can get a better rifle for less money than a Weatherby (Kimber Montana, Remington Mountain Rifle among several others) and a substantially better rifle for just a little more money (Nosler, H&S, Remington Custom Shop among others). Just my opinion... They are in a weird price point- far too expensive to be a "common" rifle and not too much cheaper than a "custom" rifle. A guy could get a Kimber Montana and a Leupold VX III and still be under the out of the box cost with about the same weight and probably a better chance of having a real shooter...

If thats what you want and you have an affinity for a MkV I say it'd be alright as long as your prepared for what may prove a long road to acceptable shooting.

I don't know if the light barrel has much to do with it or not. I've had several light barreled rifles that shot really well at this point. Sorry for the long winded discourse but I've been in your shoes.

Here's my .02 worth. I wanted and purchased one a few years back in 280 Remington. I was never quite satisfied with the accuracy of factory loads, 1.25-1.75 inches at 100 yards. Not bad for a factory gun with factory ammo but not what I was looking for either. I couldn't get my handloads worked out either. Bullets, powders, primers, seating depth etc. Nothing worked. I sold it to a friend and he has done nothing but rave about it every time I see him. He's happy, I'm happy. One thing that I noticed is that it was VERY heat sensitive. I'm not talking plenty of time between groups sensitive, I'm talking about plenty of time between SHOTS sensitive. That made a day at the range an all day affair.

I would like to get another just because I like the feel of the gun, the looks and the weight. There are other options out there like the Kimber but I appear to be hung up on the Roy. "Maybe the next one will shoot" That's what I keep telling myself but it's hard to part with that much cash when I have a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM sitting here that is plenty light, sub MOA with factory ammo and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Buy it, Weatherby's shoot great!

Steelhead, I've been thinking about posting the exact same question. If you do decide to buy one, let me know how it shoots for you. I can't imagine it would shoot very bad. Weatherby doesn't guarantee their rifles for no reason. I've looked at some of the others like the Kimber and the Browning A-bolt Ti. The Weatherby really isn't a bad buy from what I can tell when you compare price to weight. For example, the only Kimbers that weigh less than the Weatherby (non-magnum) are the short action, .308 family rifles. If you want a long action or WSM, they weigh more than the Weatherby. Now, the Browning Ti weighs slightly less than the Weatherby, but costs more. Then there are the Tikkas and the Remington Mtn rifles, that cost significantly less, but weigh significantly (12+ ounces) more.

So I'm in the same boat as you, undecided. I guess it depends on how big my tax refund is...

Default Weatherby

You need to make sure that you follow the instructions on remounting the stock to the barrel. You have to alternate which screw you tighten and to a certain torque setting. You have to play around with the torque on the last setting to get the best out of it, but when you do it will shoot great. If you don't do this, it will shoot like crap.
    Yes the barrel does get hot after a few shoots and they start shooting higher.
    I think the Weatherby Mark V is the best quality, dollar for dollar, factory rifle a person can buy.

Default Go buy a tikka

and you will be happy. They are super accurate and more than "light" enough for sheep. I have a .300wsm in the t3 and it is simply a great rifle. 1" groups at 100 yards. A tack driver for sure.

Thumbs up Tikka T3 LITE is truly what it says it is (& more 4 less)

Precisely... Yep go with the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic!!! Plenty lightweight, No worries on Accuracy, No special tweaking w/ gun or loads. No question in my mind, out in the field, about factory accuracy guaranty, or on 100 yard print (& for '$' paper ) here. Very few if none of the other manufacturers (or even many customs) mentioned so far really compare based on what you'll consistently receive straight out of the box for your $$$s spent and range performance.

It is not that I do not like the WBY... I think it is one of the coolest lightweight rifles out there and pretty much 'is' a custom gun... it certainly isn't a plain MKV! It is high class, high dollar, high quality no doubt about it. Nevertheless, I've witnessed and heard way too many inconsistencies in the <1" accuracy dept on this rifle... held out on getting one now going back some years ago to when they first came out. I've seen nothing that reveals change, improvement, or says any different today.

Like so many factory and custom guns some will shoot while others will miss the mark on an individuals expectations.

Same goes for the Kimber and Remington TI lightweights from my experience... Excellent rifles indeed, yet have seen several examples and caught earfuls about how cool the rifles are but both having some accuracy or other little issues at an expenditure I'm not willing to throw $$$ at.

Not saying all of 'em, but enough WBY, Remington TI, & Kimber lightweight questions are out there --- so I'll go Tikka or Sako factory lightweight guns over risking $$$, accuracy problems or other issues concerning a lightweight factory rifle. If a $1000-$2500 modern bolt gun can't shoot <.75"@100yrds with a few different suitable loads it's sent packing elsewhere!

Buy it, I have never in 25yrs of owning a Weatherby Mark V had any problem with them shooting great. Just look up my post over the last 2 1/2 years and you will see how Weatherby's shoot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Buy it, I have never in 25yrs of owning a Weatherby Mark V had any problem with them shooting great. Just look up my post over the last 2 1/2 years and you will see how Weatherby's shoot.
    I agree --- very nice guns --- My personal fav. is Dad's... an older West German J.P. Sauer MKV Custom Grade .340. Looks a bit like the Ultramark w/ inlays.

The Accumark is another fine long range shooter in the .30-.378.

The second .22 I purchased with my hard earned and scraped together funds was a Japanese mag fed MKXXII auto. It was a very accurate rifle w/ amenities and wish I still had it... although also would have been a much better gun with a steel receiver.

The ultra-cool-factor Ultra Lightweight (like some other mark V models) is really a "semi-custom" rifle for certain. Very high quality, good components, nicely fitted and finished - no question. I'm really not knocking any quality issues. However, the Ultra Lightweights I've fired and several others I've been around will say it is an honest 1-2" gun and therefore did not quite meet my or their highest expectations/praise. Tho' it did live up to the factory 1 1/2" WBY guarantee... it failed to impress like the Accumark accuracy likely would in most cases right out of the box w/ no tweaking.

At that kind of cost (& they do hold their value) --- excellent fit, fine finish, super quality and all the MK V style-points... the Ultra Lightweight is just not quite the consistent enough performer with respect to <1" accuracy as the stand out feature defining such an asking price tag - in my opinion.

Default Leaning towards the kimber

Thankyou everyone for the replies. Right now i am leaning heavily towards the kimber montana in 7mm-08. Its a little more in price range. As for the tikka's, i know they shoot but i dont like the looks/feel and especially the plastic.

Hi, a bit late with the post (only by years!!!) but just joined....What did you end up purchasing? I bought a Mark V ultralightweight 2506 in 2007 ( I live in New Zealand). I have a VX III on top and had the same problems with accuracy. Rather than mess around too much and waste money I sent to renowned load developer. Had the trigger done, load development, drop charts etc and 100 rounds. Cost another $700 on top of rifle and scope price....was it worth it? I have never looked back. Hunt on a fairly regular basis and it has not once let me down. Stops all NZ deer in their tracks anywhere out to 450yds (shoot about 25 deer/year) and I have not once had to resight it despite some tumbles. With a safe full of other high calibre rifles this is what I always reach for. With some patience this as easily been the most accurate and consistent rifle I have owned, an absolute pleasure to shoot. David

Wby Ultra Lightweight rifles - yup, attractive firearm, ... difficult to get to shoot accurately. I had to work long and hard with multiple bullets and several powders before I could consistently get an '06 and a 338-06 to consistently shoot 5 shoots at 100 yds. into an inch. It took me several hundred rounds but I was eventually successful. As I recall everything finally came together with Varget and I forget the bullet. If anyone really needs to know I can look it up. I have heard rumors of excellent accuracy with these rifles ... but the above has been my experience with two of their chamberings.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Mark V 30-06 standard load of 57grs of IMR4350

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nosler TGR for bout the same price.

I got one in .280 and love it. It's first 3 shot group was <1" with factory 150 gr Core-lokts. It also really likes handloaded 160 gr Nosler Partitions, which is what I shot my ram with last year. I did have a bit more trouble finding a 140 grain load that it liked but eventually found a load with 140 gr Sierra GameKings that shot into .84". My personal opinion is that is plenty good for a hunting rifle. Yes the barrel does heat up quicker than a "standard weight" but that will be true of any lightweight rifle. I'm more than happy with mine, especially after carrying it around for days in the field. I looked at the Kimbers and the Tikkas and various others and the Weatherby is far and away a nicer rifle in my opinion. But that's just what it is, an opinion.