Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trash fish Derby 2009

Default Trash fish Derby 2009

Gathering ideas for an on line fishing contest for forum members. It would involve catching the biggest by length trash fish in several categories. Any interest? I have a sponsor already, Gamakatsu has donated a nice little prize package, and any other sponsors are welcomed. My idea is to have a small entry fee $5-$10, and mail out official measuring tapes. You would have to take a photo using the official tape, and post it here. Post any ideas or suggestions, and show some interest. For species, help me out. We need something that are found in most waters.
    Category 1- Sculpin
    Category 2- Skate
    Category 3- Flounder
    Category 4- ???
    Who's In?

I will gladly defeat you Sign me up

By the way, try greenling for number 4, starfish for 5?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

**** i got my boat for sale. probably wont be able to attend

Thumbs up Count me in...

But greenling and flounder trash? They eat pretty good! Now an Irish lord, that ought to be there, and tomcod for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    **** i got my boat for sale. probably wont be able to attend
    Dont need a boat for this, most of the listed fish can be caught from shore, I wont be using a boat for targeting the derby fish

I might be in for kicks...

How about suckers for freshwater?
    Alaska Blackfish?

Saltwater ideas:

Wolf Eel
    Spiny Dogfish (any other trashy sharks?)

-CS

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    But greenling and flounder trash? They eat pretty good! Now an Irish lord, that ought to be there, and tomcod for sure!
    I'd agree for the most part...how about specifically Arrowtooth Flounder? They're just mush...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    By the way, try greenling for number 4, starfish for 5?
    I like it. Starfish has to be on there for sure, I've caught my share and big ones too..

Yes, we've got spiny dogfish here in Kodiak too. That is a good possibility. Let's keep this going. I will have boat space in Kodiak if anyone wants in. Many of these can be caught from shore anyways. Irish lord is a Sculpin, right? I'm relatively new around here, so I don't know all species that well yet. I do know I can catch some junk though! I'm gonna hit up Garbagefish.com for sponsorship. They got some trash fish "trophy flags" no sea robins here, but we definately got some skates and dogfish! A category could be for wormiest fish or most deformed.

wolf eel....
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Skates are not trash fish! Sauteed in butter and garlic, they are almost identical in taste and texture to halibut cheeks.

I suppose someone better define "trash fish," since not everyone will agree. It's true that skates are actually really good, and they fillet beautifully, but let's face it, most people toss 'em back cause they want halibut.

-mnfish365: Irish Lord does = Sculpin. And welcome to Alaska. I'll probably be over in Kodiak sometime the first week of March for a quick business trip. Can't wait to see it...it'll be my first time there after 35 years in Alaska.

I know skates are tasty, but usually not a targeted species. Most people throw them back. I don't want to offend anyone, but trash fish derby sounds better than incedental catch derby. I havn't caught a wolf eel yet here, are they pretty widespread in Alaska? Maybe I need to hone my eel catching skills. Thanks for the response so far, the derby will go on! Any ideas for how long to run it and what time of the year? I was thinking 2 weeks should be adequate to get some real trophys and post pictures. Maybe do it during July, starting 4th of July weekend?

I'll never forget my first skate. I was fishing for the first time in salt water in my life last August, in one of the small bays in Kodiak. My newfound fishing buddy and I went out in my 10' flat bottom skiff and jigged for Halibut when I hooked something big. Didn't fight like a halibut, just dead weight. When I saw that hog nosed skate come up under my duck boat, I almost wet myself! My buddy figured it was about 70lbs and had to have been 5' long! That was my first fish ever fishing the ocean in a "boat" so they will always bring back that memory.

How bout tomcod?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    How bout tomcod?
    Are those what I was catching near the harbor shorefishing in Homer? I was catching flounder, Irish lord, and these things that looked like cod only small and really wormy. Sounds like they are just about everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    Are those what I was catching near the harbor shorefishing in Homer? I was catching flounder, Irish lord, and these things that looked like cod only small and really wormy. Sounds like they are just about everywhere.
    yea they get to be pretty big too (50#+ I think)

I'm not sure up here what you guys up here call tomcod, but in my past life in California, we'd catch them and they were actually called a white croaker, but nicknamed tomcod. The biggest one I've seen couldn't have been more than a pound and a half. Perhaps you guys are thinking of gray cod? Maybe if you are thinking of a 50 pound tomcod, it is actually a white seabass, which is in the croaker family and have been documented as far north as Juneau. A white seabass should definately not be considered a trash fish, but a rare gem up here and taken care of for the dinner table. Catching a white seabass up here would be like catching an albacore tuna. Rare, yet possible on ocean certain conditions.

I would like to vote for a spiney dogfish or the tomcod (a.k.a. white croaker) or gray cod.

What I call tomcod is actually Pacific Grey Cod I believe

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast