Thread: Tier II caribou question

Default Tier II caribou question

How many points does it take now to get a permit? I was looking at my points and was curious what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How many points does it take now to get a permit? I was looking at my points and was curious what it takes.
    I don't know.

All I know is I will never draw it under the tier II system. My 25 years in AK and hunting that area for over 20 years will never be enough. How do I know this?? Cause my dad who is 52 years of age and lived in Alaska his whole life and hunted unit 13 for well over 20 years, couldn't even win it when we lived in Cantwell for 10 years.

I still blindly apply and hope someday it will be a normal draw, but I believe it will be shutdown to hunting entirely before they'd give up the tier II subsistance thing.

Sorry Matt I know that didn't answer your question at all, but I had to vent a little I hope you understand.

Matt - The # of points it takes to win varies from year to year based on how many permits they give away. Last year was the most restrictive I have ever seen, with many folks not getting a permit who had always had one in the past. Maybe the Unit 13 bio can shed some light on how the herd is doing and whether they intend to up the # of permits this year. If they did, it would lower the scoring requirement.

Lanche - While I dislike the current system, if herd numbers grow substantially you may find yourself with a permit one day. I won one three years ago, and only have a few more years than you do. I don't expect to win one again anytime soon...but just like you, I'll keep applying every year.

The TierII system as a whole is in dire need of review. I've got almost 30 years in state and won't see a permit for a while. Folks get no points for not hunting the area or depending on the meat, well give me a permit and I will. Understandable the herd can't be opened to a general hunt, the population would drop. If anything add it to the drawing and let the herd grow.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Brian, would you mind explaining the point system to me. Reading the regs and such... you don't really get a good idea. Or maybe I just don't "get' it.

Or if anyone else can explain them, I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Matt - The # of points it takes to win varies from year to year based on how many permits they give away. Last year was the most restrictive I have ever seen, with many folks not getting a permit who had always had one in the past. Maybe the Unit 13 bio can shed some light on how the herd is doing and whether they intend to up the # of permits this year. If they did, it would lower the scoring requirement.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

upinak - For Tier II hunts, points are awarded for where you live (buy majority of groceries and fuel), how many days/year you spend gathering food in the particular unit, how many years you have utilized that game population, and a few others. As such, it is highly unlikely that someone without a long history of using a particular population would win a permit unless the # of harvestable animals grows to the point where it can meet demand. We're a looong way from that point with Unit 13 caribou, as tens of thousands of people would like to have the chance, yet most years they give out 2-3,000 permits.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Folks get no points for not hunting the area or depending on the meat, well give me a permit and I will.
    That's not quite true (as I read it). The question asks how many years you have eaten meat from the population, or would have eaten meat but were unable to because the hunt was canceled or you weren't successful in obtaining a permit. Every year counts, as long as you apply.

Thank Brian, I was wondering about that. It helped clear up a lot of ofther questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    upinak - For Tier II hunts, points are awarded for where you live (buy majority of groceries and fuel), how many days/year you spend gathering food in the particular unit, how many years you have utilized that game population, and a few others. As such, it is highly unlikely that someone without a long history of using a particular population would win a permit unless the # of harvestable animals grows to the point where it can meet demand. We're a looong way from that point with Unit 13 caribou, as tens of thousands of people would like to have the chance, yet most years they give out 2-3,000 permits.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i cant win either... 40 years as res and 30+ years of using unit 13..or trying to .. no good.. my best score was 79
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i cant win either... 40 years as res and 30+ years of using unit 13..or trying to .. no good.. my best score was 79
    HAHA, thanks Vince, now my Pops won't feel so bad. Ya know comfort in numbers

Talking It still happens sometimes...

Two years ago, when they put the $$ restriction on (and then took it off under a court challenge) the stars lined up for me. Shot a nice bull. I had 40 years, 30 in the area, and 60-something points. I'll keep applying, hoping some of you old guys will stop applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    Two years ago, when they put the $$ restriction on (and then took it off under a court challenge) the stars lined up for me. Shot a nice bull. I had 40 years, 30 in the area, and 60-something points. I'll keep applying, hoping some of you old guys will stop applying.
    i was one of the people who won a permit that year then had it taken away when they did the re-draw.