Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS156 Crescent Lake

Default DS156 Crescent Lake

looking for any information about GMU 7, Crescent Lake, for Dall Sheep.

I am familiar with the area, have biked the trail, and fished Crescent Lake - Just unfamiliar with the Number and size of sheep in the area.

Default Crescent

My advice would be to fly the area first maybe out of Moose Pass. The question will be if there even is a legal ram in the area. And if there is plan on being in there a few days early to camp on him. Because if there is a legal ram several other people will be on him on opening day.

Default Ds 156

I would pass on it, I drew that tag a few years ago and hunted ten days, without seeing a legal animal.

Default Draw the tag...fly it...hunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith13 View Post
    I would pass on it, I drew that tag a few years ago and hunted ten days, without seeing a legal animal.
    I accompanied a lucky draw winner a couple of years ago who flew the area first. We hiked in from the Carter Lake side, climbed to the icefield, spotted a nice ram, waited him out until he fed, nice close shot, beautiful ram. Spotted others. 1 1/2 day hike in...2 day out. You drew the tag now plan the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    I accompanied a lucky draw winner a couple of years ago who flew the area first. We hiked in from the Carter Lake side, climbed to the icefield, spotted a nice ram, waited him out until he fed, nice close shot, beautiful ram. Spotted others. 1 1/2 day hike in...2 day out. You drew the tag now plan the hunt.

...hike in from the other end....not the Carter Lake side...

....I would go in the Quartz Creek end, not the Carter Lake side-

-less people, best access to the rams...-but then; you have to find them...

Default no trees

Do you have access to a boat or someone who can drop you on kenai lake ? I`ve drawn this permit twice and have found a good access point from the lake.It`s pretty vertical but fast with minimal alders.

I live in cooper landing and finally drew this tag last fall. Shot a 40" ram. Lots of info for ya if you want to send me a message with your phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Maddness View Post
    I live in cooper landing and finally drew this tag last fall. Shot a 40" ram. Lots of info for ya if you want to send me a message with your phone number.
    The thread is several years OLD. Unlikely they are still scouting, but maybe.

Makes me wonder how No Trees did, though.

How'd the hunt turn out???
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Hadn't checked this account in years....and Wyo2AK I know your response is now 2 years old, but I'll reply anyways.

I had a great time hunting. I biked in from Quartz side one weekend. I hiked in from Carter Lake another. Boated across Kenai Lake for a couple of days, and eventually flew in.

I saw a ton of animals - plenty of goats, several bear, tons of sheep. During a fly over the area I saw probably 15 Rams of various size.

I was able to put a couple of stalks on a couple of different Rams, even had my cross hairs on one at 75 yards waiting for my hunting partner to say "shoot"...but we couldn't be certain it was a full curl. I think that one was legal, but didnt want to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Makes me wonder how No Trees did, though.

How'd the hunt turn out???

Here were three Rams I saw - I watched them for probably an hour, butting heads, etc. Great trip.Image 051.jpg

Ha! Thanks for the reply!!
    Glad you had a good hunt and got to spend some time observing sheep. That's a great picture as well.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I am looking for any information on the DS156 permit, I have a great river boat and I am curious about an access point on Kenai lake. any help would be appreciated.

I drew a ewe permit for that area the first year it went to drawing, and was successful. I called the biologist in charge and he gave me some good info on access from the lake. I suggest you give that a try, if you need more info after that, shoot me a PM ...err you can't, I see you have 1 post, well post here after your conversation with the biologist.

And, are you familiar with Kenai lake?

Yes, I saw rams btw. I woke to three of them 150 yards uphill from my bivy the first morning.

Quote Originally Posted by wttmrgn View Post
    I am looking for any information on the DS156 permit, I have a great river boat and I am curious about an access point on Kenai lake. any help would be appreciated.
    If you are going to access the area via Kenai Lake, Snug Harbor Road along the southwest side of Kenai lake is a great place to spot from. You go take a look from there and you will see what access routes there are, and can also do some sheep spotting.

Image 006.jpg
    This pic was taken from Snug Harbor Road - watched these sheep (in middle of picture) for a couple hours a couple of days.
    Image 082.jpg
    And here were two of the three I spotted - about 400 yards away.

I also accessed the area several other ways. Kenai Lake access would be my number #2 choice....

I know a fella that drew that last year, they saw no legal rams on their trip. They talked to the bio AFTER their trip and were told no legal rams have been taken from there in several years. I would highly recommend paying for an aerial scouting trip out of moose pass.

Access from Kenai Lake is steep.

Be very careful on Kenai Lake, it is big and the water can get very rough fairly quickly.

I saw a ram recently that was easily full curl. Not in this particular area, but on the peninsula. It was the first
    Full curl ram i've seen down there.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I know a fella that drew that last year, they saw no legal rams on their trip. They talked to the bio AFTER their trip and were told no legal rams have been taken from there in several years. I would highly recommend paying for an aerial scouting trip out of moose pass.

Access from Kenai Lake is steep.

Be very careful on Kenai Lake, it is big and the water can get very rough fairly quickly.

Flying the area is a great idea. I did so twice before my hunt (with a friend - not with a service). We were able to see plenty of Rams. Here are a couple of the rams we saw from one of our flyovers (i have pictures of 12 more similar rams, but you can only attach 2 pics per post).

Image 019.jpgImage 030.jpg

Once on the mountain, none turned out to be legal (one was super close to legal as I posted about before, but couldn't be sure on it), but we only came across about half of the ones we saw from the air. I was not able to stay up on the mountain as long as I would have liked, but think that if I would have stayed a few more days, chances were decent I would have come across a legal animal.

I wouldn't let previous hunting reports deter you, as you can't be sure how hard (or even if) the previous permit holders hunted the area.

And as far as flying out of moose pass, I highly recommend NOT flying with Scenic Mountain Air. I flew with them, and never will again. We were trying to get a drop off for hunting our caribou permit above skilak lake. Weather was bad for a couple of days so we didnt fly, which is fine. But finally, the pilot/owner asked us if we wanted to try to get in on the third day. We told him that was not our call, that it was his. He said that he could get us in, so we listened to him. After a close call nearly landing with floats on the tundra, we headed back to moose pass without being dropped off. The pilot yelled about taking us in during bad weather and charged us for the flight even though we weren't dropped off. This was on top of his many racist jokes and calling his employees N*****s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast