Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studs on SKI-DOO SWT 4 stroke

Default Studs on SKI-DOO SWT 4 stroke

I'm wishing to put studs on my 4 stroke SWT although the dealer says not enough room. I feel that even though there might not be tons of room there is enough. Anyone out there stud your track?

I studded my Skandic SUV this year after problems sliding on ice last year and it have made a world of difference. I built my own tunnel protectors and everything is working fine.

Default tunnel protector

Quote Originally Posted by Unalakleet yooper View Post
    I studded my Skandic SUV this year after problems sliding on ice last year and it have made a world of difference. I built my own tunnel protectors and everything is working fine.
    What did you utilize for your tunnel protector?

I had some 1 1/4 inch strips of plastic around and cut them to width and length. Also, I know it has been talked about before on other chats but I had a sled with screws in the track. They created problems for me coming out and tearing the track. They were installed at a dealership. I am sticking with studs from now on.

Thumbs up Try

If your track can take them Ice Screws are great! We use them on some of the fleet.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    If your track can take them Ice Screws are great! We use them on some of the fleet.

Yes it can take them and thats what I was planning on utilizing with a little red lock tight on each. I just wish to make sure others are doing it without hiting the tunnel or HX. Did you add any protection or just go for it and max out your springs?

Default No Problems!!

We been useing them on one track for 10,000 miles. No problems and did not need protecters! As they are not tall or pointed sharp. They help a lot when pulling drags up icy slopes and on the lakes.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

You don't need Locktite for Kold Kutters. Just set your driver clutch so that you don't spin the screws in the track. They'll hold fine. You can drive the screws using a conventional driver bit holder, just pull out the bit and the screw heads fit the driver perfectly. Very Handy. Ak Snowmobile Salvage has 1/2" and 3/4" Kold Kutters on the shelf in 250 pc bags.

We been useing them on one track for 10,000 miles. No problems and did not need protecters! As they are not tall or pointed sharp. They help a lot when pulling drags up icy slopes and on the lakes.

So, I want to be clear.....we are talking 2008 or 2009 SWT with the 800 Four stroke........???

Just a thought...

Couldn't you use old hyfax for tunnel protectors? Seems like they would work...

Default correct

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    So, I want to be clear.....we are talking 2008 or 2009 SWT with the 800 Four stroke........???
    Yes, my sled is a 2009 800 SWT 4 stroke. After looking it looks like I have about an 1/2" from top of paddel to HX

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Yes, my sled is a 2009 800 SWT 4 stroke. After looking it looks like I have about an 1/2" from top of paddel to HX

No, sorry my question was more to Trail Boss. I just want to know that we are all talking the same years, model, engine.

Smile Yes

You should have no problems! A little Hyfax would work if you are worried.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

You should have no problems! A little Hyfax would work if you are worried.
    Thank you, would it work to just put them on the outer edge of the track....? I have never had studs in a track......?

Thumbs up All over!

Spread them out for best traction. There are stud patten for different amounts of studs.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Default Ice Screws for the SWT

http://www.studboytraction.com/hill_...ice_screws.htm

I Have a 2006 SWT and put ice screws in without tunnel protectors. I have not had a issue because most of the time the tractor like suspension would not let the track touch the tunnel. They work pretty good and you do not need to pull the track to drill holes. I parked on a icy hill pulling about 700 lbs and they held me.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuYentna Dave View Post
    http://www.studboytraction.com/hill_...ice_screws.htm

I Have a 2006 SWT and put ice screws in without tunnel protectors. I have not had a issue because most of the time the tractor like suspension would not let the track touch the tunnel. They work pretty good and you do not need to pull the track to drill holes. I parked on a icy hill pulling about 700 lbs and they held me.
    SuYentna Dave,

Thanks for the responce and confirming they will not hit the HX. Just wondering how tight your track is and what setting your rear shock is set at.

If I,m Wrong here, Dave jump in.. But i believe the stiffness in the rear for a SWT is with the spring preload. There is a blocks on each side that hold the springs up, that can be rotated around for more or less. softness of the ride. I don,t remember the shock was ajustable. I,ll ck. mine next time out..

Yes you can rotate the spring block depending on your load with the spark plug winch, but the only other adjustment is with the tensioner strap screw. The strap allows you to get ski pressure when you have weight on the back end.

Back to the screws in the track...they was worth every penny the time I was coming down icy hill with a load of wood and mama moose decided to step out and say hi.

Default thanks for the info

S-Dave and S-AK,

Thanks for all the information. This past weekend was my first ride on my SWT and I was really impressed with it. I will stud it this week before heading back out this weekend. I just wised to make sure the studs would not hit the HX. Also when riding this weekend I heard the track hit the tunnel a few times thinking seem as though its a new sled I need to tighen it. I was just wondering how tight your track is, 1/2" play up or down on top, or when off the gound should it be a 1/2"?

S-Dave, I clearly understand about them moose. when heading out Monday night about 11:00 PM I just about hit a moose comming off the MTA trail. Very close call and I actually had to stop and check my shorts just to make sure I did not mess myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast