Thread: Hamilton 211 to 212 swap?

Default Hamilton 211 to 212 swap?

I have shop space with an overhead crane and I was wondering if anyone had experance changing out a 211 to a 212 jet? Is this project worth saving some money and doing it myself or should this be left to the pro's?

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Will

Default swap

I have been wondering the same thing. Will a 212 fit the same intake and stern cut out as the 211. I think I wil give Hough a call. I think they are just called Hamiton Jet now

Talking 212

Willster33 I have a TJ with the 212 and was playing around with different impellers, which meant several questions. I called Hamilton and talked with a Bart and I could not of asked for better info and assistance. I bet if you call them they can answer all your questions and offer advice. Their number is 1-800-423-3509 Also there is a man in Grangeville Idaho that I have had rebuild the impeller for my 212. It made a world of difference in the performance. This guy is also very helpful and will talk to you on the phone to help out with problems. Intermountian Machine. Roy Schumacher
    1-208-983-0240 Good luck

From what I understand you will have to have some aluminum fab work done on the transom and maybe the hull around the intake grate for it to fit.

Talking 212

Willster33 Thought/question why do you want to go to the 212? What kind of a boat do you have. May be if you talk with Roy he could rework your 211 and give you better performance, without changing the pump. Let us know what you come up with.

Smile More weight

I have a 1996 24' USCOLA with a new KEM 496ho with 420 hp. I hunted the Dulbi River last fall and I could not get on step with the excess weight I was carrying. After selling some fuel and burning food, tarps and other stuff we made it home. The 21" North River we were hunting with had a KEM 6.0 with the 212 and he could hall lots of weight so I am looking to upgrade my jet. I had A1 prop tune up my jet last spring and I only ran salt water with it so I think my jet was still in good shape when we headed out. I was bummed with the performance I had. The boat will fly when loaded lightly and I have lots of power now but I need the extra push. I talked with a shop and they told me that we would have to widen the intake and rework the transom to make it work but he told me I would not be disappointed. I have a friend who is an excellent welder and a shop to work in but I donít know how hard it will be to align everything correctly.
    Will

I think if you call Hamilton they will tell you what kind of problems you might have with the change over.

Will you should talk with Hamilton and sport drifter on here, with the weight of your boat you might need to go up to a Hamilton 241, that will push some weight!

Default 212 v 241

I just talked with Steve @ Hamilton and he told me that the 212 jet would work for my boat application allowing me to lift roughly seven thousand lbs and that the 241 would add another two thousand pounds lifting capacity to that. He also told me that I would need to fill in and then cut out new intake and transom holes. The 212 is around 6k and the 241 is around 14k so the 212 wins that debate at least for me and my budget. Steve mentioned that there is a spline sp? Connecting the jet to the engine allowing for some difference in alignment. So now I need to decide if I can get this done before fishing season and hunting starts.
    Will

Talking 212

Keep us posted on your project.

Will you might want to check craigslist down in the states for a used 212 they pop up every now and then for around $3,000. Good luck and keep us posted on the project.

There is a drive shaft between the motor and jet that will allow a certain amount of misalignment between the motor and jet unit.

Default 212 swap

The 212 will work fine and the new style JT nozzle will be a huge difference. The 241 is all out moose hunting jet, had one in a 24ft Wooldridge 6ft bottom. The 212 will haul what HJ says, a friend had 7,850 lbs in water in drums for a test in the lake before he went hunting. The boat was 25 long with a 7ft bottom and a 6.0. Wooldridge Sport Drifter he had to run 3650 - 3850 is WOT. The jet is verry important to get the alignment correct, and the rear transom degree may have to be corrected depending on what your boat is. A box can easily be made to get this right and welded in the transom without changing the whole thing. I would have Charley over at the old Sea State One/ Peregrine marine building do it or someone that installs jets regularly. You should be able to sell the 211 easily try calling Ray Shipman in Cordova he may know someone looking.

Well I have been doing a little looking around and have made some calls and this is what I have found. The HJ212 is around $5,800. before you add the $750.0 stomp grate and a $3,000. Scott trim. The HJ213 is $10,000. but is saltwater ready with hydraulic reverse and the same load carrying as the 212. The Scott 852 pump is $9,500. but you need a hydraulic pump for there trim function and it is easy $11,000. to $12,000. with all the features. I also found the Doen pump to be a very nice pump but is $11,000. to start and the add on stuff will push it well over $13,000 to $14,000. I think from all that I have seen the Scott pump is the one I would like to have in my boat but it is hard to part with another $10,000. Not to mention my wife is starting to hate this boat. All this for a little more load carrying ability.
    Will

Default Error

I found my note I made myself and I miss spoke saying the Scott was 10+K but now I found the note again and 9,500. gets you set up with this 852 pump. So not as bad as I was remembering but still a bit more then the 212 and less then the Doen pump and the HJ213 or HJ241 jet pumps.
    All in all the Scott is the one I think I would like.
    Will

Is there anyone out there that has experience with the Scott 852 pump? I would love some feedback from someone with knowledge. Thanks
    Will