Thread: Is a Ruger M77 300 win mag a good gun?

Default Is a Ruger M77 300 win mag a good gun?

I just bought a ruger m77 300 win mag for $475 with barrel sights already. It has a red but pad and white ruger imblem under the grip. Was this a good deal? The gun is in great shape. the serial starts with 75-. I dont know a lot about gun but my buddy said ruger's are good guns.

Absolutely it is, I owned one until about a year ago and it was a good game getter. Dropped all I shot with it, a 300Win Mag is a great cartridge and the Ruger is a great rifle. Plus you need to get that one, if it is in good shape that would be cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Yes

It is a good gun and you weren't ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by krgentrup View Post
    I just bought a ruger m77 300 win mag for $475 with barrel sights already. It has a red but pad and white ruger imblem under the grip. Was this a good deal? The gun is in great shape. the serial starts with 75-. I dont know a lot about gun but my buddy said ruger's are good guns.
    Absolutely. Our son-on-law would do a Charelton Heston "cold dead fingers" routine with his, before he ever parted with it. Last gun he would ever let go, as a matter of fact. And your price was fine.

I've seen and handled this rifle and for a rifle made in 82 it is in fantastic shape. Wood is in very good condition and so is the bluing plus it came with open sights. I believe this is the Ruger M77 RS and from what i've seen for prices, he's right inline with what they are going for these days.

Yeah, you got a good deal. Now find yourself a good Leupold and you'll have a great setup.

Thumbs up

I think you bought a good gun.

I looked specifically for a Ruger 77RS in 300WM for about a year, and finally did buy one just last year. Since Ruger does'nt put sights on the newer Mark II's or Hawkeyes I went to the used market.

300 Win Mag is most likely the very best all-round cartridge for North America!

The Ruger 77 is one of the best, if not the very best all-round hunting rifle on the current market!

Excellent buy!

i have one in .338 win mag and love it, i dont remember what i paid for it... i bought it in 96 or 97.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Those Rugers are built like a tank, reliable, and most shoot reasonably good from the factory. The only thing I don't like about them is the weight.

I also have a Ruger M77 in .338. Probably my favorite was M77 in .243 that I sold in Montana to come to AK, regret selling that one. You will not be disappointed with the .300 WM. You can purchase, or handload a wide range of ammunition for various applications. Enjoy.
    NRA Lifetime Member

I have a Ruger Express 77 in .30-06 and it is the BEST gun in my safe... Shoots well, just 2 things I would recommend to do (as with any other gun): get a good trigger job from a gunsmith and glass bed the stock with a free floating barrel - works superb...

here is mine, with a Titanium made scope mount on it:
    http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/webs...er_express.jpg

www.titanium-gunworks.com

Klaus