Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To RV or Not!

Default To RV or Not!

I posted this several days ago on the Alaska Fly Fishing site and got no responses so I am going to try here and see if anyone has any input...

My Wife and I will be making our third trip to Alaska in mid August. The previous years we have gone up the Parks Hiway and then down to the Kenai. The first year we rented an RV and last year we stayed in cabins/motels. This year in addition to the Parks/Kenai, we are planning a trip to the Tangle Lakes area. This is a new area for us.

My question is would your choice be an RV or cabins/motels for the Tangle Lakes area (and possibly Valdez)? I know each accommodation has its pluses and minuses, but on my part it is hard to make this decision since I have never been in that region. Your comments and opinion would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

the lodge up there is pretty nice and not very expensive and they give you a canoe to use. Probably cost the same as an RV
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by docbob View Post
    I posted this several days ago on the Alaska Fly Fishing site and got no responses so I am going to try here and see if anyone has any input...

My Wife and I will be making our third trip to Alaska in mid August. The previous years we have gone up the Parks Hiway and then down to the Kenai. The first year we rented an RV and last year we stayed in cabins/motels. This year in addition to the Parks/Kenai, we are planning a trip to the Tangle Lakes area. This is a new area for us.

My question is would your choice be an RV or cabins/motels for the Tangle Lakes area (and possibly Valdez)? I know each accommodation has its pluses and minuses, but on my part it is hard to make this decision since I have never been in that region. Your comments and opinion would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
    I would recommend an RV. Seing that you will be driving to multiple locations, you may stop and fish at a certain river and if the fishing is good, you might not want to leave. An RV allows you to stay close to, if not on the river you might be fishing. If you aren't fishing, then definently stay at the various lodges, as they have hot showers and most likely hot food.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

We drove the denali highway late last fall and tangle lakes inn was closed and for sale. Double-check that it will be open this summer before you plan your trip! Also, member DenaliHub has opened the lodge at mile 68 on the Denali Hwy. The views are spectacular! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

I vote for an RV, but make sure they allow you to take it on the Denali Hwy. Most of it is gravel and some companies won't allow their RV's off of the pavement.

I would vote for the RV also....The way it is on the Denali hwy, you can be in a thunderstorm all day and 10 miles down the road the weather is fine. Nothing like "moving camp" the easy way.

Not to sure about an RV on the Denali highway. I was under the impression our previous govenor (Murkoski) did away with D.O.T. funding for maintaining this road.

If this continues to be true, there is no way no how I would attempt to cross this road with an RV. I did it once in a 28 footer about 7 years so when the road was still being maintained and it was a nightmare.
    Perhaps someone here has either driven or attemtped to driven this road in the last year or so and can offer an opinion.
    Tennessee

I've driven the Denali in the fall and it can be rougher than a corn cob, I couldn't imagine driving it in an rv. Last year we took our rv up there on the 4th of July and it was rough driving but we only went about 20 miles down the dirt part then camped at the trailhead. There's no way I'd drive the Denali, if you want to go to the Tangles i'd go via the Glenn, the Richardson then turn left at Paxson. It's a bit longer of a drive but worth it in my opinion.

The Denali is as good if not better now that it was before. it is still "maintained" pretty well. I would take an RV accross it anytime. I have pulled my pop up accross it quite a few times. Tangle lakes lodge is closed but I believe the tangle river in inn still open. Stop in the Maclaren River Lodge and see susie and allen also. Just about every creek on the highway as graying too. Plenty of huge pullouts to pull over and spend the evening in. Tangle Lakes is worth staying at for a night and chasing grayling all over the river. Take your time crossing it. Id make it a 2 days run. to pretty to rush. Im sure there are a couple of rough areas as there always has been. Just plan on taking a nice slow drive and enjoy the rode and you will have no problems at all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for your input. No way would I take an RV down the Denali. To rough for an old man like me. We will be driving or RVing around the long way thru Glennallen. I am interested in what you have to say about staying at Tangle River Inn vs Rving. Keep it coming... Thanks! Any comments about Valdez during this time period?

If your in an RV stay at the tangle river wayside. The Inn is nice but camp at the way side. Your paved all the way there less the last 1/2 to the campground. There is easy access to the river right off the road to catch grayling. The sites are nice with pits and Tables. Bathrooms are clean and there is a host there all summer. You can go up to the in for drinks or dinner if you desire. A short 1/2 mile drive to where the lake empties into the river is day use but small grayling are all over there to fish with easy access for small kids to adults with limited mobility. (not saying you are just puttiing it in perspective) June and I stay there every year and we got married on the deck of the lodge that is closed now over looking the lake. RV and relax

Silver fishing in valdez should be hot and heavy then too. One of the Mods or member from here lives there and can give you a ton of info. Guys help me out Im having brain lock on his name.

I pretty sure it is Daveinthebush
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Hey Doc

I would rent a pickup camper and drive slowly all the way to cantwell. your coming to Alaska to escape the city life and see the wilderness.
    Life is not arriving at the grave all slick and pretty. It's skidding in sideways all used up and "yelling" what a ride. Go for it.

Default RV

We have done both and enjoyed the RV much more. We have made some great friends (locals) by staying in the RV.

Default Roland

Roland
    Great Post!!!!!

Default Tangle Lakes

Fish Alaska online has a section on this topic and might help you decide.

Another vote for the RV.

Now go look these guys up. You won't regret it.

http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yes, we rented from them two years ago and will do so again...

Thumbs up RV for sure

I have RV'd (if that is a word; should be if it isn't :?) the Denali on several occasions and had most excellent trips. If the road is rough, slow down, take your time. That's the beauty of having the RV.. if it gets dark, find a wide spot in the road and set up camp.

The road to Tangle Lakes is paved from Paxon (I believe, or very close if not all the way as I recall; I always drove in from Cantwell). There are many, many places to stop, fish, enjoy the scenery, pick blueberries, fish, enjoy the scenery along the way.

I always spent a few days at Clearwater creek and have never shared the bank with anyone outside of my party! It is a great place with some excellent fishing. There are other lakes and streams along the way with great fishing.

And then, if you are planning to run to Valdez, having the freedom of an RV just takes all of the stress out of where are you going to stay and having to be at any particular place at any particular time.

Do check with the rental company regarding the rules.

Enjoy

Another vote for the RV. Eventhough you will be regretting it every time you hit the gas station.

RV, but like you said no, no, no to going across the Denali from Cantwell in one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast