Thread: Help with the 7mm-08

Default Help with the 7mm-08

I've have a 7mm-08 in Remington Model 7 and want to do some reloading for it. My 9 year old is ready for her first bear this spring and I want to reload some bullets for her. That last time I used this rifle I had some winchester power points that my older daughter used on a black bear and the bullet blew up on the bears shoulder and we lost it.

I am looking at loading some barnes tsx in it. Not sure of what grain yet. Any help of suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I've have a 7mm-08 in Remington Model 7 and want to do some reloading for it. My 9 year old is ready for her first bear this spring and I want to reload some bullets for her. That last time I used this rifle I had some winchester power points that my older daughter used on a black bear and the bullet blew up on the bears shoulder and we lost it.

I am looking at loading some barnes tsx in it. Not sure of what grain yet. Any help of suggestions would be appreciated.
    140 grain Nosler Partitions and near-max with Winchester 748. For plinking use the Hornady 139 grain spire point over approximately the same powder charge. I can't imagine anything else being "better."

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post

Use 140gr Nosler Accubond or Partition instead of the TSX in your 7mm08, especially if your daughter is going to do the shooting. You don't need a black bear hooking it out of sight, wounded with your daughter there. Of course I could be over reacting but I do not believe the velocity nor the TSX in the 7mm08 is a good match for a quick kill on a black bear. Others will say it is but at least I gave my 2 cents worth.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile perfect

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    140 grain Nosler Partitions and near-max with Winchester 748. For plinking use the Hornady 139 grain spire point over approximately the same powder charge. I can't imagine anything else being "better."
    that is as good as it get's. Love that caliber. Ever shot a brwnbear with it???

Default Try Varget

Both of mine shoot a max load of Varget under the 140 and 150 Partion good. I think the 140 would be good for her. I think Federal makes a factory 140 Partion load.

Thumbs up 7-08 good medicine

I load a specific load of a speer 160 grain mag tip w/ win 760. This is my short range( lets say 5 feet to 200 yards ) killer for the BIG animals. I have harvested a couple of bears the biggest being 7'2" squared over bait w/ this load & will gander to say the max distance anyone of those bears traveled after being hit is 15 feet.... I also like the 145g grand slam w/ varget or 760. If you have a short barrel use the varget, the 760 is a slower burning powder & you may not get a complete burn w/ it... I like my "little" 7mm-08 so much I have 2 of them & take alot of heat in camp until I arrive back all bloody....

Default 7mm-08 good stuff

I love that round let me turn you on to something Horndy 139gr spire pt. boat tail with varget give it a try!

Your initial idea of using a TSX in the 7-08 is a good one. I load 120gr TSX's in my 7-08 with RL-15 powder (3050 fps). This is my first and only choice for a hunting bullet in this caliber. The TSX shoots like crazy and puts animals down fast. A friend of mine killed a nice black bear last year with a 120gr TSX. I have friends in SE that use this bullet/cartridge combo quite a bit on deer, black bears, and even moose.

For practice loads, the Hornady 120gr V-max or Nosler 120gr Balistic Tips provide cheaper shooting at the range. I've had good accuracy with RL-15 and Varget, but RL-15 is a fine-grained powder and meters much better than Varget.

As for shot placement on bears, I like to take out a set of wheels on the first shot. I don't like bears running away, even a short distance, so I try and take out the shoulders on the first shot. If you can get BOTH shoulders on a broadside shot, that's ideal. Follow up shots can be directed towards the heart/lung area, at the hunter's discretion, but I always try and anchor the animal with the first shot. The 120 TSX is plenty tough and holds together well when aiming for shoulder bones.

Good luck to you and your daughter!

Ok...for those of us who don't reload, what is a decent factory round for 7mm-08? My wife shoots one and will be chasing goats with it in the fall, and my nephew will be using one for his spring black bear. So far I've just had her shooting Remington Core-lokt in 140gr. I know it's not considered to be a "premium" bullet, but I have killed almost all of my animals with core-lokt bullets in other calibers. Is there something else factory-loaded that I should be considering?

Default 7mm08

I really like this caliber, it probably one of the best all around cal. out there. and for youngsters there is nothing better. I bought my daughter one also. She is 15 but quite small, still she shoots the nosler 160 just fine. I do think the barnes bullets in lighter weight are worth considering though. you will get less recoil and still get good penetration.

Brian, I have no idea what's offered in factory ammo for the 7mm-08, but if you want to try your hand at reloading, send me a PM. You're welcome to come over and use my equipment. I'd be happy to show you how to do it.

I've got dies, powder, and primers for the 7-08, so you'll just need to pick up some bullets and bring some empty cases.

Boondocks should have the 120gr TSX's if you want to try them.

Dan - I may take you up on that at some point. Thanks for the offer! What kind of time commitment would I be looking at to load up some bullets? What is a reasonable goal for #'s in a sitting? 20? 50?? (Completely rookie questions, I know...but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to reloading.)

Default Thanks guys!

Thanks to all who posted. My 9 year old is shooting it. I can reload, but would have to go buy the dies, casings, and bullets. If I can find some factory ammo that has a good bullet in it, I will probably by a box, if not, I will order what I need and get some loaded up before spring.

northway - If you find something good in factory ammo, let me know. I'll do likewise.

Brian, a couple of hours should be enough. We'll get some test loads done up the first time around. We'll put together 20-40 rounds, depending on how many combinations you'd like to try.

Then, after you've shot your test loads at the range, we can assemble more of the most accurate loads on your second visit. We can make up a bunch to last you a while.

Default Brian

Sure thing. I will do some looking when I get into town. I will let you know what I find.

I would use 154gr Hornady flat base spire point using RL-15 and cci 200 primer. My buddy son used a 7mm-08 last yr with this load and one shot kill on a moose. Now for a Goat I would use the 139gr Hornady or better yet the 140gr Nosler ballistic tip... The std Hornady interlock bullets are some of the best bullets. I think their is no need for the barnes tsx or whatever it is. I also like the good Ol Partition as well I have killed plenty of elk using the partition... But for Goat, sheep and bear I would use the Hornady interlocks.

Default Core Lokt

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Ok...for those of us who don't reload, what is a decent factory round for 7mm-08? My wife shoots one and will be chasing goats with it in the fall, and my nephew will be using one for his spring black bear. So far I've just had her shooting Remington Core-lokt in 140gr. I know it's not considered to be a "premium" bullet, but I have killed almost all of my animals with core-lokt bullets in other calibers. Is there something else factory-loaded that I should be considering?
    If it shoots good in her rifle I would just stick with it.