Thread: Kotzebue,Float Hunt. What do you Think?? Caribou

Cool Kotzebue Caribou Float Trip Caribou,Anyone done it??

1. We are planning a float hunt down the Kugururok or the Kelly river down to the Notak area.Has anyone done this trip or do you know anyone who has.
    Also has anyone used Walt at Back Country Rental, or went on one of his caribou hunt float trips.
    Is there anyone els in Kotzebue that rents rafts.Never hurts to have options.
    You all have been a great help,I thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by QDM4SURE; 02-11-2009 at 08:47. Reason: Stand out more.

Fun Float. Took me about 6 days, but only saw a few Caribou, but we werent hunting then, and in no hurry.
    I think Walt hisself rents rafts, give 'em a call. I dont know of any others, at the moment.

good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I did the trip in '03, and had the trip of a lifetime. Four people in our party scored two book caribou, two 55" plus moose and one 8 1/2 foot griz.
    The trip is not for the faint of heart. The Kugururok is a very mild river, but the Noatak is a tricky one. Several different channels around every bend with different depths. Our trip was about 70 miles, and we did most of our killing at the first camp.
    It took 3 1/2 days to reach the village of Noatak, floating 8 to 10 hours a day.
    Have fun!!!! You will want to do it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Fun Float. Took me about 6 days, but only saw a few Caribou, but we werent hunting then, and in no hurry.
    I think Walt hisself rents rafts, give 'em a call. I dont know of any others, at the moment.

good luck.
    What time of the year did you float,we are looking at around Sept 10th through the 20th or so.We are bow hunters,is it flat tundra or will we have some cover.Im not sure when moose season is,but one of our crew wants to hunt a moose.

Thumbs up Question to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Lovhntn View Post
    I did the trip in '03, and had the trip of a lifetime. Four people in our party scored two book caribou, two 55" plus moose and one 8 1/2 foot griz.
    The trip is not for the faint of heart. The Kugururok is a very mild river, but the Noatak is a tricky one. Several different channels around every bend with different depths. Our trip was about 70 miles, and we did most of our killing at the first camp.
    It took 3 1/2 days to reach the village of Noatak, floating 8 to 10 hours a day.
    Have fun!!!! You will want to do it every year.
    What time of the year did you float.Where did you start the float.Did you rent gear?Did you get dropped by air taxi, how far was the flight?
    ok,more then one question

Default options

haven't floated it but have hunted the drainages your looking at... Walt is a stand up guy, he'll treat you right...

do you already have your air taxi booked?? if not you may be outta luck for this season...

Greg

In 05, Me and my freind Koji, were dropped off up the Kelly by a friend, Gene, in his Super Cub, one at a time. We used a folding Kayak of mine, and saw quite a few Caribou, as well as a dozen or so Moose. We just didint have room.

It was mid August, just when the stars are out in the dusky night.Plenty of Bears walking the banks for the Chums that were there. We ate Char galore, as well as scoring quite a few Mallards one day. Lots afun, and the water was a bit high then too , with rains at night.

Gravle and sand make up most of the rivers ground.
    Theres a lot of willows and treestands in the river,with old sloughs and medows/lakes.... but up away from the river it pans out to rolling tundra, to the hills.
    The river is braided and fairly shallow, and if you cant hunt, you can certainly fish.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We flew in from Kotz on Sept. 10 via air taxi and landed about 15 mi. up the Kug. Started hunting the next day and killed the two caribou. The second day we killed a nice 60" moose and a griz.
    After waiting another two days for the pilot to bring the rest of our gear and food, we started floating on the 4th day. Made it to just below the Kelly by 11:00 pm. Killed the second moose the next morning, and started floating around 3:30 pm. Traveled until around 11:00 again, and made camp. We left at daylight and arrived in Noatak the next day around 7:00 pm. It is a workout floating the Noatak with a load. We had three rafts, all 16 footers, loaded with meat antlers and gear. The weather was great, around 40 to 45 during the day, and down to about 15 at night. We owned all our own gear. If I made the trip again I think I would have the air service drop us and pick us up also. This would allow more time to enjoy the country and rest up between packing and hunting.