Thread: recommendations on pack spinning rod

Default recommendations on pack spinning rod

I'm looking for recommendations on a 3 or 4 piece spinning rod that I can pack along during back country trips. I have a 4 piece fly rod, but there are times where I'd just rather be using a spinning rod. However, I haven't done much looking into what's available. I'm not looking to go ultra-light weight, but not so heavy that it takes all the fun out of fighting grayling either. I'm not so much worried about a reel, just the rod. I've seen the telescopic rod set-ups but am looking to go a little more high quality than those.

thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Jeff

I build my own rods and one I built was a 7 pc 4 wt fly blank tied as a spinning rod. It worked quite well for dollies and bows on the Kenai.
    For your application I think a 4 or 5 wt would work nicely. This blank from Batson would do the trick as well.

ModelColorLengthSectionsLine Wt.Lure Wt.ButtTipActionPowerBlank Wt.MSRPSB720-4Clear Gloss6'0"44-8lb.1/16 - 5/16oz.0.4354.5FastLight1.40 oz.$38.19

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/ind...131&Itemid=188

Default St. Croix Tidemasters

My wife and I have both caried these our last 2 years up. Not only do are they good to pack in with, they will fit in a duffle bag, saving us an extra baggage charge on airlines. St. Croix also has a pretty decent warranty, and you can buy replacment tip sections for $ 30.00 when you do something stupid with the rod. Don't ask me why I know that. Cabelas carries these but I am sure there are others.

Head to the Sportsman's Whor.... (ahem) ....Warehouse, and look around. I can't remember the brand that I have, but I have a little 4 pc. spinning rod I picked up from there and I'm definitely happy with it.

I also have a little spinning rod & reel that packs up super small that I got at Sportsman Warehouse. Its not of SUPER high quality but it packs up in to a its small case that also has a spot for several lures and whatnot. I've been using it for the past 3 years or so on backpacking and fourwheelin trips and really like it and have got more lakers and grayling on it than I can remember. I think its called the "Mini-spin" but they also make the same thing in a push button reel setup called the "mini-cast". Anyways worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I also have a little spinning rod & reel that packs up super small that I got at Sportsman Warehouse. Its not of SUPER high quality but it packs up in to a its small case that also has a spot for several lures and whatnot. I've been using it for the past 3 years or so on backpacking and fourwheelin trips and really like it and have got more lakers and grayling on it than I can remember. I think its called the "Mini-spin" but they also make the same thing in a push button reel setup called the "mini-cast". Anyways worth a look.

Sounds like the little Diawa pack rod.
    They have been around forever.

Default Second vote for the tide masters from St. Croix

I've had the three piece seven footer in medium light since 2001 and love it...caught hundreds of fish in five states with it. Great sensitivity, great warranty, great company....but I'm a bit biased, I'm a Wisconsin boy.

They aren't cheap, but something that works great usually isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Sounds like the little Diawa pack rod.
    They have been around forever.

Thats them!!!

Nothing fancy about them by anymeans, but very effective none the less. And only like $27 to boot!!

I'm sure the St. Croix are nice, when I am out backpacking usually the hunting and scouting comes first and the fishing is always the after thought so I can't really justify the cost. But there are many that are WAY more into fishing than me, in which case that would a perfect setup.

I am not sure you should dicount the telescoping rods for trout and greyling. I have had one for about 20 years now, and have caught hundreds of fish on it. They are quick to deploy and easy to cary.

I had one of those telescoping rods. It worked well untill I was fishing at Cambell Point Lake and caught one of those 5lb broodstock arctic char that they put in it. I stripped the drag on the reel. The rod was ok though. It was a lot of fun and it was worth runining the reel.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Here's a handy dandy little 'pack rod'....

...which folds up nicely into a neat little carrying case:

I have a couple of TFO 7ft 3 piece rods (medium action) that work great. Same warranty as their fly rods. The rod retails for around $100 I believe.

Default eagle Claw

Eagle claw has a little yellow pole that I have carried for a long time have used it for grayling and even caught some silvers on it. They also make a more light weight rod it's a little black one and they had it at Mountain view sports I haven't used it but I'm happy with it's big brother.

I was looking for one a little sturdier then the el-cheapo and found a Ugly stick pack rod when I was in Seward last year for $50 (sure you can find it cheaper some where else). It is a 4 piece medium weight spinning rod. I like it alot and I think you could drag any freshwater fish in alaska with if you had to but still enjoy fishing for trout and grayling. Good Luck.

Sorry to pull up such an old post, but can't help myself.

The wife and I take float trips in Alaska each year and while I fly fish, she mostly spin fishes. Flying up from NC makes it tough to carry fishing gear. We went the pack rod way ourselves. Started off with some cheaper stuff, broke it, so we spent some money on some better rods. Sounds like that is what you are after. We found the Cabelas XML rods. They are incredible. They come in spinning and casting and a few different lengths/actions. Can't suggest them highly enough. Link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

WW Grigg makes a nice travel rod. One in a heavy weight and one lighter. Usually find them at SW