Thread: Orvis Helios Rod

Default Orvis Helios Rod

Any reviews on this rod yet?

Default Prrrrrrr.

Has received outstadning recieves by the Field and Stream. Have yet to try one. Might want to shoot an email to Mr. Allerd Ouzel Outfitters or Brain Craft from Alaska Sportsman's Lodge

http://www.ouzel.com/articles/floating_ak_salmon.pdf

http://www.fishasl.com/kvichak/

both are Orvis Endorse and use them exclusively they should be able to provide you with an outstanding answer to your question.

I have fished other Orivse products over the years and they back their products IMO and have done wonders in the advancement of the sport to inlcude creating quality fly rods.

Just food for thought.

Orvis Arcticle on the Field and Stream Report

http://www.orvis.com/detail.asp?subject=718&index=47

Tight Lines and best wishes.

P.S. I am sure their are Loomis and Sage fans that will have a different opinion but when your dropping 700 bucks on a fly rod at that point they all offer just about the same features and it really comes down to what one likes to fish with.

Blue Moose

I have not cast the helios yet but the Zero G before the helios was probably the worst rod I have ever cast that cost more than $50.

Quite frankly I wouldn't fish orvis rods unless they paid me too.

Their reels are decent though and so are their lines but I have yet to cast an orvis rod that I like. I'll buy from folks who don't make dog beds fancy watches and womens golf clothes thank you very much, and for $700 I'd rather have a scott, loomis, sage, winston, 4 TFOs, 4 Echos, or a trip somewhere. Heck I'd rather have a cabelas rod, cabelas rods aren't great but the beat orvis hands down at every price point.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The reason I ask this question as I have an opportunity to get the rod for just under $300.00

So I wonder if it is worth the gamble. This is my first fly rod purchase by the way.

Default Wow & lol

So what your saying P.M is that you do not care for Orvis Fly Rods :-)

I will give a different O on the subject not that I wish to start a forum fight.

I have been fishing Orvis Products for over 20 years and have no issues with them although I have yet to cast the rod you had mentioned or the one 357 asked about.

I have also fished Sage, Scott, Loomis, TFO etc... and as most people who know me I fish mainly rods I make. That being said if someone were giving me a fly rod I would more than likley go with the Scott however again it comes own to personal preference and casting styles.

I would suggest that being it's your first fly rod $300.00 is a large investment that being said it is a great deal and I am sure you would like it. Might want to go down to the fly shop in Wasilla and try out what they have on hand then compare it with the Orvis to make sure it is what you wish to handle for the next several years.

Moose-O

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    The reason I ask this question as I have an opportunity to get the rod for just under $300.00

So I wonder if it is worth the gamble. This is my first fly rod purchase by the way.

I have cast several helios's. These are extremely light and very well made top end rods. Remember it comes in different actions (mid-flex and tip-flex, perhaps one other action) and that is a consideration depending on the weight, as well as how it is lined (or overlined, as needed). Some of the 4's felt more like 5's, and I preferred the mid over the tip flex myself; but the 7 was very nice in the 9'6" as well. You will never find one for $300 anywhere - including e-bay.

Yes, it is worth the gamble; in fact, it is an absolute steal/phenomenal deal. Even a decent deal as a used/fairly new rod (if has warranty card). If it is the weight and flex you want; and you like the taper/action of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post

I have also fished Sage, Scott, Loomis, TFO etc... and as most people who know me I fish mainly rods I make. That being said if someone were giving me a fly rod I would more than likley go with the Scott however again it comes own to personal preference and casting styles.
    Yep. Scott rods are the best I have ever used. Money well spent if you ask me. I have some S3, S3S, A2, and E2, Scott rods. All are great rods. My 6 weight Scott E2 is my favorite rod though.

I could be wrong, but I believe all Orvis rods are made overseas and get the Orvis label slapped on them here in the US. And the high prices to go with that name. I have owned a few and was not impressed at all. But that is just my experience. I am sure others would say different.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This 3/7/08 post on another website says the following:

"our rods that are made in the united states are Orvis Bamboo rods, Zero Gravity Helios Rods, Zero Gravity Rods, Superfine rods, and the TLS Power Matrix Rods. I hope this helps you. If you have anymore questions or concerns please contact me back.

Sincerely,
    Blair Grimes
    Orvis Rod & Tackle
    info@orvis.com
    1-800-548-9548 "

Good to hear some of them are still made in the USA. The older I get, the more it matters.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.