Thread: Browning .22 auto vs Marlin 39A

Default Browning .22 auto vs Marlin 39A

I'm thinking about upgrading my .22....the two that I have in mind are the Browning .22 autoloader and the Marlin model 39A lever action. I'd be using it mostly for offhand practice. No doubt both are well made rifles--I know the Marlin is quite a bit heavier,so probably would have better "hang"-- but I wonder which is more accurate? And I especially wonder which has a better trigger? Any opinions or experiences with these guns?

Default Thread....

Finally got the thread to load up properly....any help with the .22 question appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading my .22....the two that I have in mind are the Browning .22 autoloader and the Marlin model 39A lever action. I'd be using it mostly for offhand practice. No doubt both are well made rifles--I know the Marlin is quite a bit heavier,so probably would have better "hang"-- but I wonder which is more accurate? And I especially wonder which has a better trigger? Any opinions or experiences with these guns?
    It boils down a lot to the individual rifle. I've seen examples of both that shot like crazy, but also examples of both that didn't.

As for triggers, out of the box most of the Browning triggers beat Marlins hands down. I never felt the need to work on a Browning trigger, but I've become quite good at dressing up Marlin triggers----- out of necessity.

As for offhand, don't get either. Buy a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22 and get a replacement trigger. You'll have the best trigger and good offhand balance. Barring that, the Marlin will have more barrel weight than the Browning. The Brownings tend to be fairly butt-heavy.

I have shot both and own a Browning. I have found it it easy to shoot and very accurate. It will make you a fine rifle if you choose to get one.

Default Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmaverick View Post
    I have shot both and own a Browning. I have found it it easy to shoot and very accurate. It will make you a fine rifle if you choose to get one.
    Thanks guys....so,why do you prefer the Browning over the Marlin?

The Browning is lightweight, packs easily, and shoots well. Even the sights, were easy to use with my old eyes. The trigger pull is crisp and reasonably light. The Browning ejects the shells straight down rather than to the right, which is nice for use southpaws. It has been very dependable and takes all types of ammo without objection. I have had (and still have) a number of other .22's, but always tend to grab the Browning first. It has been a fun piece. I picked it up at an auction and was immediately approached by two others who offered to buy it, if I became interested in selling. After shooting it, I have never really considered their offers.

Both are fun little guns.Only draw back on the Browning is sometimes the stock quaility ain't there and the stock brakes.Both are good quaility guns and its just up to you to decide if your prefer L/A or S/A.

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input guys....the Browning sounds great...and yet here's the Marlin with a little more heft for offhand steadiness...but then there's the trigger....hmmmm....I'm still undecided. Decisions,decisions....I guess I'll need to sleep on it a while longer

Default I own both...

and which one I have in my hands depends a lot on what mood I'm in at the time.
    I've cut Marlins down to the same or shorter length than the Brownings, they will take down, also, so very small packages can be made out of either one. I'm NOT a big fan of the Micro-Groove rifling, but it does very well in the .22's I've used with it.
    If I'm bored, I can fiddle with the Browning, trying to make it tight and stay that way, but in the end, just figure a bit of slop between the barrel and receiver after awhile is 'par for the course'.
    If I want or need a rifle that 'hangs' better, I've got bolt guns that do that better than either of the rifles you mention, but between the two rifles I believe I prefer the Marlin.
    Semi-auto rifles and handguns are fun, and for the most part reliable, BUT, it's nice to be able to pull the hammer back and get a second chance at making a stubborn round go off, or using less powerful ammunition and having absolutely reliable feed, firing and ejection....
    Aftermarket sights, and especially scope mounting advantage definitely goes to the Marlin. I managed to find one of the cantilever scope bases that actually brings the scope back far enough to be useable on the Browning, but it was "spendy"....like right at $100 for the Talley rings and base with the Browning Buckmark logo on it.
    If it makes any difference, and these days it's starting to, for me,...the Marlin still says "Made in the U.S.A." on it, the Browning says "Made in Japan", and any profit made from the Browning when it leaves Miroku goes to the bank accounts owned by that there one Belgian company.....
    In the end, get what you want, but I find simpler is better. BTW, I STILL love the little Browning!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 02-13-2009 at 06:27. Reason: .

get both, works for me!

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I think you all have good points. It's probably as BrownBear stated....it comes down to the individual rifle. As for sights,I'd be using the open sights. American made vs foreign made....most all my guns are American made,and in general,I prefer to buy American--but an occasional Browning would be nice too I guess the main thing I'd want from the gun is good accuracy,a good trigger pull (which makes all the difference with offhand shooting)....something which would therefore lend confidence,to give good,beneficial offhand practice. Both would be nice Pricey though.

Default One other option...

is to combine both rifles!
    When's the last time you picked up one of the little BL22's? I've got one of these, also, it shoots as well as the Marlin, and much better than the SA22. Ya don't have to push the lever into the next county to cycle the action. Slick, smooth, accurate, and has the Browning logo on it. Last time I checked, it's also in the same price range as either of your other choices......
    Other rifles that I'd consider if I had the bucks would be a good Winchester 9422 or the octagon barreled Henry, though I'm not in love with the coated alloy receiver.

Default my experiences

I have shot both. Didn't like the Browning. Did like the Marlin and am considering buying one. The Browning is just too light and not balanced correctly for me to shoot well offhand. Plus somehow the bottom eject always ended up throwing hot brass directly against my bare arm--not too pleasant.

I can't recall the triggers, accuracy, etc. although I don't remember either being too bad.

If those are the 2 choices, my vote goes to the Marlin.