78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whittier

44 56.41%
  • Seward

34 43.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat out of Whittier vs Seward?

Default Boat out of Whittier vs Seward?

I'm thinking about getting a boat this summer and plan to take out the family as much as possible (or as much as they can tolerate). I live in Eagle River and will trailer the boat with me. I know the basics like Whittier is closer but in Seward the launch is better and facilities are better. The main objective is to go out fishing for halibut, salmon and other fish and not have to travel too far (if possible).

So... Whittier vs Seward

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i like to go out of whittier because of the calmer seas. ive been in resurrection bay in some nasty stuff. not saying whittier cant get nasty but to me it seems like theres more places to hole up if need be. ive heard of halibut being caught close. pigot bay, around esther but ive never had any luck for butts near whittier. i had one good take in the western entrance of esther passage but lost it and nothing after that. by the way what kind of boat are you looking for?

Default Both for different things

We camp in the coves out of Whittier early in the summer, do the shrimpin' thing. Then when the silvers start running later in the summer we do more Seward trips. We usually go to Homer if we want halibut anytime in the summer. My thoughts on catching fish; Seward the silvers are consistent -they hit pony and sixty boats will be in an area the size of a football field, you just follow the boats. If you want halibut out of Seward you go to Montague, that's the only "consistent" halibut hole. Homer, it's a matter of hitting a slack tide and somewhere around two hundred feet of water, or follow the charter boat chatter on the radio until you find all the boats. Catching fish out of Whittier is a lark, unless you have knowledge of where and when to go. It's to big of a place with many bays that may or may not hold any fish. Seward and Homer are huge also, but it's open thus giving it's secrets away easier, -see no boats, probably no fish.

This is tough. It all depends on the weather and what going on. If the silvers are running good I will go to Seward. Spring Bear Whitter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whittier is great for the scenery and getting the family out on the water. For fishing find someone that knows how to catch them there, yeah I am still looking for that person!

Default Seward Whittier Whittier Seward

If you want to go fishing, go to Seward or Homer. If you want to go boating, go to Whittier. If you want good halibut out of Whittier, its a 180mile round trip by boat to Montague.

Do a search on this topic. Its been discussed at length before. The previous question as to what kind of boat are you going to buy is very important here. The reality is long distances and potential big water where ever you go.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Whittier hands DOWN. Both Homer and Seward are relatively unprotected from the Gulf as well as very susceptible to day breezes. Whittier has much better scenery, and the fish are there too, you just have to know the holes.

Any dummy can fish out of Seward and Homer. And fight 4' seas on the way home.

Default Boat I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i like to go out of whittier because of the calmer seas. ive been in resurrection bay in some nasty stuff. not saying whittier cant get nasty but to me it seems like theres more places to hole up if need be. ive heard of halibut being caught close. pigot bay, around esther but ive never had any luck for butts near whittier. i had one good take in the western entrance of esther passage but lost it and nothing after that. by the way what kind of boat are you looking for?

I'm looking to get a 24-26' hardtop with cuddy

It's a wash in terms of time and $. Whittier is closer, but by the time you wait for the tunnel, launch and park, you are looking at the same time as going to Seward. And you can either pay to go through the tunnel and get jacked on the Whittier launch and parking fees, or spend more on fuel driving the Seward and back.

I'm also in eagle river and for the last two seasons have been trailering the boat to the sound. In that time we went out of Whittier a dozen times, Seward once and Homer twice.

Whittier is a great spot for running a small boat, as there are hidy holes all over the sound, and countless spots to explore. The downside is, if really want to catch fish, you have to run at least 50 miles to get into spots that will consistantly produce fish, and further out for buts. Yes, you can catch fish closer in, but its not going to be red hot fishing.

Seward will provide good fishing closer to port. But, Reserection bay doesn't have many if any places to hide, and conditions can be such that while you had no problem getting out of the bay, you might have a rough time getting back in. I'd wanted to fish Seward a few times last season, but my schedule and weather didn't cooperate.

Either location makes for a long day trip, and given the expense of taking a boat out, making a weekend of the trip is a much better route to go, it also allows two daily limits of most fish. For weekend trips, I'd definately go with whittier, as you can run 50-80 miles out to the good fishing spots, have most of the day to fish, a nice location to anchor for the night, and another 1/2 day to fish before heading home.

Smile Mostly Seward

Let's see you said family & 24 to 26 foot boat. Seward would be good for the family because there is stuff to do and good services, places to eat and stay over night. In Whittier you have great scenery and little else, i always had to run at least to culross passage and further south to main bay and eschamie lagoon(wrong spelling) to get into decent fishing. With a boat your size the water conditions in reseruction bay will be managable if you get online and check the marine forcast at NOAA. It is a longer drive to seward but you make up the difference in fuel to seward after you pay for the tunnel and higher launch and storage fees at whittier. As of last summer i decided to store the boat in Seward and save a lot of bucks in fuel (19 mpg vs 10 mpg) not to mention wear and tear on the equpimnet and driver.

Just some thoughts, been doing this from eagle river begining in the year 2000 ...

Default Whittier exclusively

I have fished Whittier exclusively for 15 years and have learned that there are honey holes thruout the Sound. The coves provide protection from wind and seas and there always fishing about the Lee side of the islands. I have a condo there and leave at 0400 hrs before the tunnel opens and am around good fishing within 2 hrs. I have no need to go anywhere else.

Thumbs up I voted for Whittier

Because, even though Seward offers better facilities, amenities, and crazy amounts of silvers, it doesn't offer shrimp, multiple coves, waterfalls, wildlife, hospitable beaches, hiking and berry picking. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that water stays flatter in the sound more days than it does in the bay. To each thier own I guess. Let's see.....3 months to go? Maybe a little sooner....
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Whittier hands DOWN. Both Homer and Seward are relatively unprotected from the Gulf as well as very susceptible to day breezes. Whittier has much better scenery, and the fish are there too, you just have to know the holes.

Any dummy can fish out of Seward and Homer. And fight 4' seas on the way home.
    Sounds good...!
    So.... where are these holes..heh....

Smile Paul H

Well Put Paul H. I totally agree with you. I still always seem to go to Whittier. There are some great honey holes out of Whittier, but I had to put in ALOT of time to find them. There is some decent fishing about 30-35 miles out, but that is still quite a run for a smaller vessel. I usually catch fewer halibut than other places, but I seem to catch alot more of the large fish. That is alot of fun, but not always what you want. Plus, how can a guy argue with 15-30 pounds of shrimp tails for a couple days work? That reminds me of what I want for dinner tomorrow!!!!

Default Curise Craigslist In Portland

While Cruising Craigslist in Portland I found what appears to be a decent deal on a boat. It what really makes the difference is the full top, which can cost mega dollars to add up here.

Reply to: sale-1024441671@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2009-02-07, 12:03AM PST
    Last edited by akfishnut; 02-12-2009 at 00:56. Reason: spelling

I had to vote for Seward. The fishing is much better and the town has more amenities. Whittier is definetly closer, but I have a hard time with the tunnel. Last year we got out of the water and hustled to get to the tunnel with 10 minutes to spare. All of the cars got through, a train got through, and some buses got through. The guys pulling boats had to wait an hour for the next tunnel. That and the blasted boat ramp. Seems like there are always a bunch of idiots trying to launch or retrieve a boat. On another trip last year I had to watch while someone tried to retrieve a 30' seasport at low tide and some guys with rental boat refused to get their feet wet while loading. Here was another hour waiting. Have had the same problem waiting in a line of boats fighting the breeze in the harbor trying to get out. I like the scenery out of Whittier better, but Seward has the fish and is much less frustrating for me. I figure this year I'll hit Whittier for the first and last trip of the year, take two trips to Homer and spend the rest of the days in Seward.

Default Whittier vs. Seward

It depends on what your family wants to do. I had a slip in Whittier starting in 1981 and boated there exclusivly after trying Homer and Seward and loved it, but our style of boating has changed over the years. When we boated in Whittier, we'd head out as soon as we got our gear off the train and stayed out for a weekend or a week. Whittier and the Sound offers the best wilderness boating going with plenty of hidey holes to drop the hook at night. Shrimping, crabbing (when there were crabs!) were a bonus. Reds, silvers and an occassional king were available once you found the spots. My family grew up and moved away so things changed. I'm now day boating and the wife likes to putter in the garden so we found Seward to be a good compromise. We have a house there and I can get out after the Silvers and halibut with my buddies and be back home for an evening meal with the wife. Seward has all the services to make life good if you like the shore life. Whittier on the other hand is pretty grim. The ride for halibut is about the same but in more open water and the day chop in Seward can beat you up if you have a small boat and anchorages are open to ocean swells for the most part so if you get used to Whittier's quiet coves, good luck! I've yet to find Reds though that I can get to off the boat so that's one loss - anybody got a spot they'd like to share?

Default Whittier or Seward?

My philosophy on taking out my family is that they are supposed to enjoy THEIR time out on the water. The first year, especially, I would focus on the enjoyment of boating aspect so that you have THEM hooked. Only once they are more seasoned boaters does it pay to try and make more adventurous runs. I don't know how much experience your family has with getting the PI$$ knocked out of them in 3-4ft seas but it wouldn't likely endear you to your wife and kids...just a hunch. My vote, so far, has been to go out of Whittier: we beach camp, stay in cabins, and toodle around sightseeing, fishing or shrimping. My (then) 8y/o and 5y/o had a ball with building a fire, roasting marshmallows, throwing rocks from the beach, pulling shrimp pots (and giving names to the starfish and crabs and octupi that were brought in with the shrimp), catching salmon and "baby" halibut, and whatever else struck their fancy. I've got great pictures and memories--I suspect that they do, too! Certainly the weather can get bad just about anywhere but I have not yet been scared in PWS. There are plenty of places to hide and wait out the weather and I have done so on more than one occasion.

If you're just worried about fish go to the New Sagaya River--they've always got fish. I'm waiting for my kids to mature a more (and to get a bigger boat) until they're ready for more serious fishing adventures. I separate my more serious hunting/fishing adventures to be done with my buddies. They are more willing to suffer discomfort and understand the risks of being out in more inclement weather. My family I have to protect. I don't think that the location is nearly as important as the weather report, the boat's construction and the experience level of the skipper. These three things and a big-picture perspective will serve you better than worrying about which port I like...have a good time and take pictures, in any case.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    ...The main objective is to go out fishing for halibut, salmon and other fish and not have to travel too far (if possible).

So... Whittier vs Seward
    If that's really your main objective, launch from Seward. I launch out of Whittier, but I have different objectives on my trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I like them both. I liked Whittier early in the year, Seward in June and July, and Whittier again around Labor Day. It is hard for me to vote for just one.

Those that are going really far out of Seward to catch halibut don't have too, there are some productive spots out by the islands in 200-250 feet of water. They are not mosters, but it is not a three hour boat ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast