Thread: kodiak hiking

Default kodiak hiking

Ive lived in Kodiak for about 5 years and in that whole time I havent been on any hikes of over 2 day 1 night. I have an idea to hike up to the central ridge on the island and go as far as I can, maybe to one of the villages on the south end and possibly hitchhike(boat) back to town. Has anyone heard of this route being done or anything like it, or am I destined to do short hikes for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    Ive lived in Kodiak for about 5 years and in that whole time I havent been on any hikes of over 2 day 1 night. I have an idea to hike up to the central ridge on the island and go as far as I can, maybe to one of the villages on the south end and possibly hitchhike(boat) back to town. Has anyone heard of this route being done or anything like it, or am I destined to do short hikes for the rest of my life.
    One of the main Hunting Guides on Kodiak has hiked from end to end twice.

Default Be prepared

For rocks, bears, ice, bugs, rain, fog,mud and water crossing. The military tried it durring the war. There is an account of the trip in a book called "Some Time Again" Some young fellows I know made the trek a few years back starting from my place on the south end seems it took about 5 days. One of em lives in town I will PM his name to you.

Thanks for the info, By this time I have grown used to the rocks, bugs bears and rain... if you throw in fish and beer, that would pretty much sum up my entire Kodiak experience. It may not be the best conditions, but I feel I need some excitement. Starting at the south end sounds like a better Idea.