Thread: ABC Islands

Default ABC Islands

I am moving to Admiralty Island. i will be living in POybus Bay area. I was wondering if anyone here had some info on gold panning. Not looking to do anything huge scale, but thought it would be fun to learn if there is gold in them thar hills. Thnaks in advance. oh, i will have a 32 foot boat for wheels, so I can goto other islands if that would be better. Not looking for a hot spot, just some details on where to get a headstart. Thanks again.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    I am moving to Admiralty Island. i will be living in POybus Bay area. I was wondering if anyone here had some info on gold panning. Not looking to do anything huge scale, but thought it would be fun to learn if there is gold in them thar hills. Thnaks in advance. oh, i will have a 32 foot boat for wheels, so I can goto other islands if that would be better. Not looking for a hot spot, just some details on where to get a headstart. Thanks again.
    You are definitely in the right region for fun.

I've never panned much myself, but plan to this summer on my canoe ride.

A little trip through the history of gold in Alaska places your new home in the middle of quite a bit of prospecting during the 1880s - 1920s.

The person you might want to contact would be Dave Stone in Juneau. He has his head around the topic and the area really well.... I think he's written a book or two on the subject.

As an aside - keep your gun handy. Your "claim" might be jumped by something big, brown, and not in the mood for conversation.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-