Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where were you when you got your first?

Default Where were you when you got your first?

Question for the experienced hunters. Actually more like a rendition of your “first” in Alaska.

• Where were you when you go your first kill? (Which area like 20A, 14C)
    • What did you use?
    • How long were you out?
    • Did you fly in, ATV, etc?
    • Would you consider it easy now that you look back on it.

I am trying to get an idea of what to expect. And I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like a good story.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I have a couple of "firsts", so if you don't mind a few answers...

My first big game kills came in the same fall - I can't remember which was first, though I think it was the sheep. I killed a ewe in 14C on a day hunt with my dad and brother, and then I killed a medium-sized bull caribou (again with my dad and brother) in Unit 13 about 25 miles off the road in an area I had grown up hunting with my family. In both cases I used a .308. I was out for 5 days or so on the caribou hunt, which we accessed via ATV.

Since those were done as a kid, though, they might not be as applicable to your situation. My first on-my-own harvest was sheep in....the mountains. I hiked in off the road on August 7th, sat on some rams on the 8th and 9th, started climbing by moonlight at 3am on the 10th and had my first ram down by 11am after a 4 hour, 400 yard crawl one inch at a time. I used a 30-06 and took a ~400yd shot that I would not take today. It was irresponsible, but I didn't realize that at the time. I managed to take the ram with my 4th shot, but since I hadn't practiced at that distance, I had no business shooting at an animal and risking a hit on a sublegal ram. Anyhow, I took him and it remains a great memory despite my questionable shot judgment. The pack back to camp took nearly 12 hours, and I finally got to light my victory cigar at just a little past midnight. Looking back, it was most certainly not easy. Actually, it was one of the more difficult experiences I had done up to that point in my life, and at the age of 18 I learned a lot about myself from that day. The pack back to the truck the next day was awesome, and even better was calling my dad and telling him that I had a ram down.

O.K. I'll be the first on here,lol ( my puter is crashing bad so bear with me) My brother and I have been shooting rabbits since I was six years old, dad gave us 2 22 shells apice and we were suppose'ed to come back with 4 rabbits shot in the head. If one was gut shot , or there was a miss we went to the garage, was'nt no fun in the garage lol, leather belt came out and was told to take it like a man, looking back on it , helped shaped my life. As far as my first big game animal I was 13, 2 boats going up the river, my dad ,my brother and one of his friends in the lead boat, myself and two other old timers in a boat about a 1/4 mile mile behind. They go by this spot and a 64" bull walk's across the river right behind them, never turned there heads, lol. Anyway the guy in the front of our boat got water in his eyes about the same time that this was happening and did'nt see it either, I , as excited as a 13 year old can get, turned around to the driver, was in a 26' wooden boat with a 25 jet with a tiller handle on it and am pointing like a wild child at where it went in the woods, he acted like I was crazy,( later found out he saw it too) so anyway he pulls up and tells this other guy to go in after him. Now I'm seing red,lol. Then tells me to push the boat back into the river, and we go up around the river to a bar across from where we saw the moose. I set him up with his 30-30( bad joints) and then he tells me to get up the bar aways. I go up the bar and hunker down, seeing all kinds of colors because I knew I should've been the one to be let off behind the thing, and sit there and wait thinking at any time I'm going to hear the other guy shoot. Next thing I know here come's this huge, and I mean it when I say huge rack come's walking into view. I look over at the 30-30 and can see him tence up, then relax,and then there he was 150 yards away. 1 shot from the 30-06 and he took off in a gallop, was so confussed that I did'nt know what had just happened, I knew I could'nt have miss'ed, but from the cussing from the boat operater and the orders to get up to the far end of the bar I was onmy way. about halfway on my run, there was this mighty crash, but I did'nt stop. About 2 minutes later, long 2 min. the guy behind him come's out and shouts at me , "you got him" Shot him a little low and got a heart shot, died on the run. That was one happy kid, and thats him in my avater

Default Great Memories...

Small Game:

Snowshoe hare on the Matanuska Flats, 7 years old, hunting with my dad and younger brother. Shot it with my single shot .22 rifle; was excited to hunt for more, but then stepped through a soft spot in the ice and gt my foot wet, so we headed for home.

Big Game:

Caribou on the Denali Highway, 11 years old; with my Dad and older sister. I was carrying a .44 magnum rifle and the caribou was about 200 yards away - too for the .44 with open sights, so I used my Dad's .308 Winchester. Took me a couple of shots, but I got him. It started raining pretty good, so we didn't even take any pics of my first big game animal...oops!

Shot a button horned blacktail on kodiak with a .243 from about 40 yards away. I was 10 years old. Looking back, it was probably the easiest kill I have ever made, it was only 200 yards from the zodiac we used to get to the beach from the big boat.

Sept 12 2003 I left Anchorage Koyukuk bound, hit the yukon bridge off the haul road at around 4am, whopping 23 degrees. Put everything I brought and started packin the boat. At sun-up the boat launch was a sheet of ice from all the other boaters. Spent the day WFO to Galena, gassed up and pressed on til dark. Next day on to Ella's cabin, then headed north. Came into camp around 4ish, unloaded and decided to spend an hour pokin around for mooses. Caught a glimpse of what i thought was a moose in the corner of my eye and stopped to investigate. Found 3 bulls and 6 cows playin around ont he edge of the lake. did some calling, stalekd in to about 60yds and let loose. Took a decent sized bull with a 59inch spread. Thin paddles but super long tines, almost a 20in tine on one side. Cleaned him up a bit and came back for him after breakfast. Spent the next 8 days callin, cuttin, packi and fishin with the rest of the crew I went with.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fall of '78. In front of my girlfriends parents fireplace. They were gone for the weekend..............Oh wait.

Wrong forum.

My bad.

Default First Alaskan Kill

Despite 37 whitetail kills and a number of turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, ducks, geese, ect killed in PA and NY. My first alaskan kill took place on my first trip to Alaska last August. Bull Caribou killed on a DIY hunt with 2 buddies from Wasilla in Unit 26 on the Ivishak. Shot at 442 yards with a .280 remington with 150 grain nosler partition handloads (before you start questioning the shot selection the bulls we were on were headed away and about to crest a small ridge AND more importantly I have a fair amount of experience shooting at this distance) Crippled him with the first shot and then hit him a second time for good measure, although it was probably unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Question for the experienced hunters. Actually more like a rendition of your “first” in Alaska.

• Well lets see I dont know If Im an expierenced hunter in anyones eyes but, to answer your question my 1st Alaskan animal was
      over near delta and it was a caribou.
    • What did you use?
      Used a .338 WM
    • How long were you out?
      Was out 15 minutes. Woke up at 6 am and had 3 animals down at 6:15 am
      At the time you where allowed to drive in, so I used my truck
      Was way easy, but totally unexpected and I had no idea what to expect on my 1st hunt.

I am trying to get an idea of what to expect. And I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like a good story.
    After that I also went up near Chicken for another 'bou hunt (my 2nd) and when I arrived and set up camp, was done about 4 pm, I drove the wheeler in on a mining trail and had my 1st Grizzly down at 8 pm.Next Morning woke up and shot a Caribou.

Last year went Blackbear baiting for my 1st time and the 1st guy I put on stand had his in 24 minutes, next guy I put on stand had his in 3 hours, put my hunitng bud out there and 52 minutes later he had his,I was out 3 hours and had mine,took two more fellas out and put both of them on stand and an hour later they had two.

Oh! and also last year went out Duck hunting in late Sept and walked off the road bout 40 yards and turned to my left only to find a Grizzly there.(I have bad luck finging them) but wife is not complaing about the two rugs

Seems like Ive been WAY lucky so far.Hunting in Alaska, I just dont get out very often.So in my ventures Ive utilized my 4 wheelers, Truck and Boat to harvest animals.

My first animal taken in Alaska was a Moose in 14A. I was fortunate enough to Draw the DM410 Cow tag in last years Spring Draw. A good friend of mine and I hiked in and started hunting at around 0645 or 0700. Was out about 45 minutes before we spotted a cow, but due to the amount of brush, I couldn't take an ethical shot. After hiking through some thick brush and swamp for another hour we spotted a Bull through the brush. We sat back and judged him for what seemed like forever and realized that he had that third brow tine. Shot him in the neck with my 7mm and dropped him right in his tracks. On the other side of the brush was an even bigger bull, but all he had was two brows on each side and he woudn't make the 55 inch mark. My bull was only 38 inches but is one helluva trophy in my book! Took us quite a while to pack him out, but was well worth it!

These are great stories and funny in some cases as well.

Thanks for sharing
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

3rd year in alaska 1980, moose 29" spread antlers, 1/4 mile off petersvillie road bow kill? 17-18 miles back in ? Unit 16?
    Out 4-5 days.
    Easy but took 3 years to happen. Right place at right time.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post

• What did you use?
    • How long were you out?

Up Eagle River Valley about where WalMart is now.
    Bow
    Four Hours, to kill and butcher the Moose from where we left the main drag at Eagle River. It was just ruts then, hardly a trail.
    Drove a M38 back there.
    It was very easy.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default First.......

Moved to Alaska August 2001, went right out and bought a non res license and tag. Talked to as many people as I could about where to hunt. I spent 20 days hunting different areas from hike in to 4 wheeler trails. Was hunting down Pt Mackenzie when I finally found a legal bull. One shot at 40yds and I had my first moose, a little spike fork. Couldn't have been happier! Only downside was I had to start looking for a job......such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Up Eagle River Valley about where WalMart is now.
    Bow
    Four Hours, to kill and butcher the Moose from where we left the main drag at Eagle River. It was just ruts then, hardly a trail.
    Drove a M38 back there.
    It was very easy.
    SP

I've hunted plenty, where there are now houses. Sad, really sad.

If only in how it ages you. Ahh, but the memories we're left with.

Bob this is true even for those of us in the under 30 crowd. I used to carefully hunt the area where tealands middle now stands and that whole neighborhood back there with my daisy single cock pelet gun. I have taken around 100 grouse over about 6 years in that area. I actually took out a kid that my mom sat for and helped him get his first bird back there. He actually couldt support the rifle and I held it while he called out directions, I thought he would never connect but he ended up telling me to hold still and he shot it through the neck!

My first kill was a bou we ran accross on the high tundra between littla nd big Oshentna valleys. We were doing the classic polaris chain tighteneing routine and I had my hand contourted up in the undercairage trying to adjust the front chain cam when we heard the tell tale click of bou tendons. The bou crested a hill in front of us and was running in a fast trot from left to right. I managed to unthread my arem from the wheeler and my dad noticed that the animal was hurt. My dad was not thrilled about shooting an animla that had allready been shot but I couldn't let it suffer. The shot was a bit far for me with my 30-30 so my dad handed over his 7mm which I don't believe I had ever shot at that time. I remember my dad in my ear telling me not to shoot it while it was running but to wait. Those words were interupted by the report of rifle as it bucked in my hands. I remember hearing my dad let out single curse word immediately followed by "IT'S DOWN!" "Good SHOT"! We paced the shot out at aroud 150yds, I just picked a spot ahead of the bou and squeezed the trigger as the front of it's chest broke the verticle cross hair. Ended up sending that 160grn original barnes X through her heart. We hound where she had been gut shot with a smaller calliber (probably a 243) through the front part of the back quarters. The meat was less than stellar but I felt like I had done the ethical thing. I would have gladly turned that bou over to whomever made the poor shot had they come along trailing it. That was a 5 day ATV/ORV mildly challenging hunt, we ended up getting our limit and had a lot of fun.

My wife may hold the record for the easiest hunt. She drew a cow tag and we just drove around in our crew cab with the kids watching DVD's in the back untill we came across a herd in a field. We got out of the truck walked off the side of the trail and she shot a healthy cow at ~65 yds standing unsupported with here little ruger 308 compact. The shot hit the moose in the 3rd cervical vertibre and it was dead before it hit the ground. For it to be her first animal she did it like an old pro market hunter! We butchered it up and tossed the meat in the back of the truck then headed for home! I hope that I can convince her they aren't all that easy!

Thumbs up First Kill

I am 13 now, and I was 11 when I took my first big game animal.

I had drawn a cow tag for DM406, right down in houston. My dad and I hunted every possible minute that we could, trying to find me my moose. It took us 33 days to do it, but we did it. It was our last morning to hunt, Sept. 23, and time was running out. We had to do it that day, because my dad had to work, and I had school the next day. We were at our usually cow infested stomping grounds that we had been trying for the last month. After a few hours, we called it quits, and headed home mooseless. On the way home, my dad was apoligizing that he wasnt able to get me my moose. I was fine, but still wish I would have gotten one. Just as I was about to say that, I look out the window, and to my amazement, there were 2 moose standing right there. I told my dad to pull over and that there were a few moose sittin' right there. Since we were on a road, we looked for private property signs. Seeing none, myself, my dad, and my dad's friend took off after the moose. About 100 yards in, I spotted him. He was a young bull, still a calf at the time. I could tell that it wasn't long after he got kicked off from momma. He knew we were there, and faced me the whole time. The only shot that I had was the one he was presenting me with at the time. He was facing me. I raised my 243, and rested up against a tree. My dad was to my left, and his friend was to my right. Both of them were pulling for me. I took the shot, and the bullet flew straight. It went right where I wanted it to, right under the chin. He folded up like a card table, and dropped on the spot. I had just harvested my first big game animal. And he was a dandy. All of this took place in unit 14A

You can see a picture of him in my profile. He's under the album, Fish and fur.
    Last edited by AK A's Fan; 02-10-2009 at 22:57. Reason: added info
    Ryan from Wasilla

A that is a great moose and a great story! I am already jealous maybe sometime soon I can show you what I bag.

These are great stories guys. I am getting a good idea of where to go (for my first) and to always expect the unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I am 13 now, and I was 11 when I took my first big game animal.

You can see a picture of him in my profile. He's under the album, Fish and fur.

A's Fan - Congratulations on the moose, and thanks for sharing your story. You are an incredibly good writer for a 13 year old, and actually better at painting a picture with your words than most adults. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Bob this is true even for those of us in the under 30 crowd. Yep. I turned 47 on sunday, the 8th of Feb. No sense in hiding from it. Wish I could.

The shot was a bit far for me with my 30-30 so my dad handed over his 7mm Don't underestimate the 30-30. You had that shot........but did not know it.

but I felt like I had done the ethical thing. I would have gladly turned that bou over to whomever made the poor shot You did do the ethical, and I'd have felt the same way.

she did it like an old pro market hunter! I live where the term "Market Hunter" originated. The Chesapeake Bay of MD. When you get back, and perchance fly into BWI, PM me. You won't need to buy anything. Liscence, Food, lodging, Drink. I've got one of the best Goose properties on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. One of the few that still produce.

Keep that in mind, my club is very generous to vet's, has been and will continue, being made up of the same. We've got stories. The past Pres was a Naval aviator who had command of his own carrier. Not air wing, though he had in his younger days in Korea,...but air craft carrier. Capt Frank Ault. Capt. of the Coral Sea during Viet-Nam. Someone I'm proud to have called a friend. http://www.americanretirees.org/remember.htm Heard of a little something called Top Gun? That was him. He wrote the report. Was assigned the job of starting it up. Yes....movies have been written about him. And the funniest thing was I never knew for the first 10 years. Till I saw an episode from a documentary called "Wings". And heard of the "Ault report". So I asked him.

All he had to say was "Yeah, some of us were pretty good in our day". And that was it. Mr. Top Gun. Man of few words, unless jokes in the blind. And those are memories no one can take away. Mine to keep.

Also had a 3 star Air Force Gen. Ernie Krag. He flew P-47's in Europe. Gen Hap Arnold gave up his suite in Italy when this particular pilot got married while still in Europe, during WW2. Sadly, both have been dead for about 4 years now, (Frank for 3). Lotta history in this club, and like mentioned, we'll treat you right. When I started hunting with the club about '90, half the guys were from the Pentagon. Some of the others were from an intellegence agency.

I had none of their mil. experience, I landed in the middle of all this by happenstance. Some would call it poaching. I called it borrowing. And was 28 or so at the time. And became good friends....real friends with all the players. They knew what it was like to be young and yearn to hunt. In an area where I lived but could not afford a lease. They took me under their wing because they understood. I worked my azz off for many years, and earned their trust, and friendship. You get back here and it's on me. The Chester river here http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEx...175264&zoom=14
    Geeses to pieces. We also have a layout boat for in the river. Keep in mind river here means several miles wide. Lotta ducks. Ducks and geese. Gotta love it.

Godspeed.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast