Thread: What do you guys think of the Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifle?

Default What do you guys think of the Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifle?

i bought this rifle in 300 win mag and put a 3x12x42 nikon monarch BDC on it...i plan to shoot core lokt 180 or 150 grain bullets... i shot it the other day to sight in, didnt have time to zero it in but was hitting a 1'x1' paper target at 128 yards....shoots like a dream, recoil is managable, and i really cant find anything negative to say about it....i did alot of research before i bought this firearm. What do you guys think of it?

Don't know yet, mine won't be here until Thursday or Friday of this week.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The best bolt action rifle Ruger ever made. Best by design and features most like, but not the fit and finish or lumber quality of the earlier tang safety Rugers. Many good points about the barrel and much better accuracy out of the box than Rugers were infamous for in years past. I like the safety, placement, action and functionality. The trigger is a very good compromise given we allow lawyers to sit at the design table, the proven and well rehearsed claw extractor and ejector is among the best of the Mauser clones. Ruger's scope attachment system is very strong and with good aftermarket mounts it can be even better. The Ruger rifle has evolved into a very rugged, reliable and accurate rifle and a useful tool to take afield. Oh, yeah, one other thing it is American made, and American owned.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thank you Murphy, now I know why I bought the Ruger Really, I could not have said it any better, the Jeep Wrangler of rifles.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

i agree Murphy....my 1st pick rifle, the one ive used in the field for every big game hunt for 10 years was custom built by my father: mauser 98 action w/ 28" matte fluted barrel, timney trigger and a hogue synthetic mossy oak stock in 30-06 3x9x40 leupold vari-x 2....ive taken moose, deer,elk, brown and black bears, sheep and goat with that rifle out to 600 yards...so when i decided i needed to step it up a notch to a .300 win mag, i took my time and did my homework, consulted my fathers advice and it finally boiled down to a remington 700 or the ruger hawkeye...i think either way it wouldve been good but the ruger came with scope mounts and i liked the way it felt...so while i have a brand new rifle to shoot, im definately not retiring the 30-06 "Ol' Snipe". thanks for the replies and i hope to hear some more about the hawkeye from the rest of these guys.