Thread: Dg475

Default Dg475

Any info on hunting dg475 (logistics, area, past success..,)?

I'd give Seahawk Air a call and book your flight now.

Quote Originally Posted by xhawk View Post
    Any info on hunting dg475 (logistics, area, past success..,)?
    Plane Ticket to Kodiak depends on where you are flying from?
    Bush flight for just "your wallet" is about 1650.00
    Are you going to stay the Night in Kodiak?
    Gear to do the hunt right?

Default search the archives

Have you tried searching onthis. This has been covered, a few times every year. There is some good info available.
    $1650 to get to 629 seems a little high, is that for a beaver load?

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Have you tried searching onthis. This has been covered, a few times every year. There is some good info available.
    $1650 to get to 629 seems a little high, is that for a beaver load?
    Beaver load, and RT fare if I added right.

Default Seems right to me

Call Seahawk..... Period....

Gooch is right. I booked my 10 days with Roland the day after the permits came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Gooch is right. I booked my 10 days with Roland the day after the permits came out.
    Same here Jeff. Four of us all were lucky enough to draw DG 475 individually as we were planning on going even if one of us got a permit. Our flights with Rolan are already booked for the first part of Oct. and will be shifted slightly a day or two either way depending on the winter ferry schedule. Does anyone know how to get their hands on the Kodiak winter ferry schedule??

Thanks

Default Schedules

Here is a link to schedules. I would recommend checking the appropriate timeframes from this past fall to get a good idea of when it leaves etc. Not scheduled as of yet for next October but here is the link:

http://www.akmhs.com/schedules/

Flying is a great way to go, quick and you are allowed 3 bags on Alaska Air in state travel. If you have extra meat to bring home, Air Cargo it. Backhaul is cheap. Seahawk will pick you up at the airport and take you shopping before your trip.

My DG 475 experience from last year:

First Day - Left Anchorage on AM flight (ENd of season in October)
    Left Kodiak in afternoon with Seahawk.

Second day - Legal hunting day, buddy and I killed 2 billies packed one out

Third day - packed out second goat
    Seahawk came and got us took us back to Kodiak

Fourth day - flew AM flight to Anchortown

72 hour goat hunt total included 4 flights and a night at the Best Western. Camped two nights, was at my house butchering goat meat within 75 hours of leaving town.

Nice hunt. Saw 0 deer in the field but did see about 30 goats. Only saw 2 bears but we had the bear fence up and it makes you sleep peacefully.

Gooch

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Here is a link to schedules. I would recommend checking the appropriate timeframes from this past fall to get a good idea of when it leaves etc. Not scheduled as of yet for next October but here is the link:

http://www.akmhs.com/schedules/

Flying is a great way to go, quick and you are allowed 3 bags on Alaska Air in state travel. If you have extra meat to bring home, Air Cargo it. Backhaul is cheap. Seahawk will pick you up at the airport and take you shopping before your trip.

My DG 475 experience from last year:

First Day - Left Anchorage on AM flight (ENd of season in October)
    Left Kodiak in afternoon with Seahawk.

Second day - Legal hunting day, buddy and I killed 2 billies packed one out

Third day - packed out second goat
    Seahawk came and got us took us back to Kodiak

Fourth day - flew AM flight to Anchortown

72 hour goat hunt total included 4 flights and a night at the Best Western. Camped two nights, was at my house butchering goat meat within 75 hours of leaving town.

Nice hunt. Saw 0 deer in the field but did see about 30 goats. Only saw 2 bears but we had the bear fence up and it makes you sleep peacefully.

Gooch

Thanks for the schedule Gooch. Yeah we are all driving down in the same truck as to not be limited to gear and its cheaper in the long run and the extra couple days it takes to get there via ferry isn't an issue.

I hope we can have luck similar to yours. Was your 72 hour goat hunt in DG475?? Can you PM where you guys landed at (lake or on the salt?) Any info would be appreciated. Realistically thinking I think that if we went 2/4 on our permits that would be pretty sweet.

Thanks again

Default Dg475

My wife and I hunted that last year. We flew into Spurzak lake late Sept. If I remember correctly it was about $1780 ish for a beaver load. But Roland has weight limits for Spurzak so with 4 guys and gear it might be more $$.

The terrain was pretty easy walking relatively speaking. The goats were about 8-10 miles south of the lake. Seen some bears up there but they were just passing through I do believe.

If I was going to hunt that unit again I would fly into the salt and pack VERY light and fight the alders up the hill.

PM me if you want more specifics.

AK