Thread: Epirb / Plb

Default Epirb / Plb

I'm researching the above and hoping to make an investment some time this winter.

To be cached at base camp or sealed in emergency boating kit...

Any recommendations out there?

I'd like something compact and light.

Lots of good ones on the market, here's a couple:
    http://www.acrelectronics.com/
    http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/

Default specific question

I read that EPIRB was for marine use, ELT for aircraft and PLB for land based stuff...

Does the technology and resulting rescue work regardless of location from which it is deployed?

Default PLB

YES!!
    When a EPIRB, ELT or PLB is activated everybody sees it on there computer screens. Coast Guard & Trooper S&R they will only get excited if you have a PLB or EPIRB.

I may be wrong, the only difference between a PLB & a EPIRB is how compact it is and the temperature rating of the battery. -40 below for the PLB.

I would never think of leaving my PLB in camp. It is always with/on me hunting, atving, snowmobiling or boating. Yes it's a pain sometimes. But it's far less painful if I get hurt and I don't have it.
    My wife will make sure of that. (It called love.)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    YES!!
    When a EPIRB, ELT or PLB is activated everybody sees it on there computer screens. Coast Guard & Trooper S&R they will only get excited if you have a PLB or EPIRB.
    That's going to be a huge disappointment to the thousands of aircraft owners who's planes are equipped with ELTs. But, it will make life easier on the CG and Troopers now that they can ignore them.

I may be wrong, the only difference between a PLB & a EPIRB is how compact it is and the temperature rating of the battery. -40 below for the PLB.
    Well most EBPIRBs come in a cannister that has a hydrostatic release, which releases the EPIRB when a boat sinks. The newer ones have built in GPS units which relay their position as well as identify the boat it's registered too. Not features needed by either an ELT or a PLB.

Default 406 Plb

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    That's going to be a huge disappointment to the thousands of aircraft owners who's planes are equipped with ELTs. But, it will make life easier on the CG and Troopers now that they can ignore them.

Well most EPIRB come in a cannister that has a hydrostatic release, which releases the EPIRB when a boat sinks. The newer ones have built in GPS units which relay their position as well as identify the boat it's registered too. Not features needed by either an ELT or a PLB.

I agree, but with all the false alarms the 121.5 ELT's have and with pilots not filing a flight plan, what can S&R do. There are 100s of false alarms per year.

I also agree, but the main difference between a 406 PLB and a 406 EPIRB is size and battery. There is no difference between the signal that is transmitted to the satellite. A 121.5 ELT can't be registered because it doesn't transmit a identifying code a 406 PLB is coded and can be registered. The main reason I have a 406 PLB is because of the identify code, in 5 min S&R will be calling my emergency number.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 10-08-2006 at 11:21. Reason: I don't know how quote

I agree, but with all the false alarms the 121.5 ELT's have and with pilots not filing a flight plan, what can S&R do. There are 100s of false alarms per year.
    Are you implying that the SAR folks don't respond to ELTs?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Are you implying that the SAR folks don't respond to ELTs?
    I would never say SAR don't respond to 121.5 ELT. I think they do a real great job.

(FCC adopts a change to their regulation which states that Class A, B and S EPIRBs shall not be manufactured, imported or sold after February 1, 2003, and that these EPIRBs cannot be used after December 31, 2006. New type approvals have not been provided since July 2001.)

Default 406/121.5 signals

This might be of some help....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default ACR info

I posted this on the survival forum but recalled I had started it here on Power Boating....

I've been shopping around a bit for a P-EPIRB. I read Danatherock's post about the ACR Terra Fix and as I've been researching it I'm quite impressed.

However, ACR markets an Aqua-Fix as well as Terra-Fix. I want a PLB that can be used on backcountry stuff as well as coastal marine adventures. I recently emailed ACR inquiring about the two products and their potential differences. I received this reply:

There are no difference between the Aqua-Fix and the Terra-Fix.
    Itís just the way we market the product. Our Outdoor dealers can only purchase theTerra-Fix from us and our Marine dealers can only purchase the Aqua-Fix from us.

There is no reason what so ever to purchase one over the other.

Thank you,

Sandy Gopie-Smith

Just FYI, WinMag