Thread: Smith & Wesson 22A

Default Smith & Wesson 22A

Bought a 22A for plinking, and teaching the wife a little more about gun safety, and we took it out this weekend. Started out real nice, good little shooter. Rarely it wouldn't fully eject an empty, but cycled most of the rounds without flaw. Finally I figured my wife would be able to shoot it on her own while I loaded my other gun. She walked towards the target with the gun pointed down range, pulled the slide back, released it, and BAM! the gun goes off.

I knew something was up right after she shot. So I head over and inspected the gun, everything seemed to be in order. So I pulled the trigger once, BAM BAM! It shot twice.

It seems like the slide itself is punching the primer, but I couldn't find the spent casings for the snow. I'll definitely be in touch with S&W, but was wondering how Sportsmans Warehouse is about bringing in a gun that's defect. Will they help me take care of it no cost?

Also if anybody has had a similar problem, or an idea of what might be up, please let me know. I'd much rather a quick fix at home than a long ordeal that costs me money and time.

Thanks in advance.

Yes that sounds like "slam fire" and I am surprised a new S&W would be doing it.

Call SW and see what they say, I think as a S&W dealer they are supposed to handle warrantee shipping. I doubt they will take it back in exchange due to the ATF paper work, but itís worth asking about.

Andy

Had exactly that problem last year, the firing pin had broken and was wedged only mine emptied the clip,S&W should thke care of it but I just ordered one and installed it .Any questions I can help with let me know Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    Had exactly that problem last year, the firing pin had broken and was wedged only mine emptied the clip,
    YIKES!! I bet that was exciting for a brief moment!!

SW should take care of you. Had a buddy that bought a new S&W revolver that was punching keyholes through the paper and they took care of him.

Yea took me back about 30 yrs to being a grunt,and yes if you chose to have S&W fix it they take care of the shipping both ways.

or if you chose to attempt the repair they have excellent blow ups on their web site with part no. and prices. Alex

Yea took me back about 30 yrs to being a grunt,and yes if you chose to have S&W fix it they take care of the shipping both ways.

or if you chose to attempt the repair they have excellent blow ups on their web site with part no. and prices. Alex
    I got some questions Alex.
    Is this a design flaw and they just brake every so often, or something else?
    What did the part cost, is having a spare a good idea, or not worth keeping track of where you put it?
    And how does it shoot, is it very accurate or more of a plinker?

Itís kind of an odd looking auto and I donít know anything about it. I have been looking for a good little 22 auto, Ruger Markís top my current list. But what is this one like?

Andy

Default Get Hold of S&W!

You can box it up, ship it to them, and it will come directly back to you when Smith is finished with it. Most likely Sportsman's will beg off on the deal and tell you to do that anyway...
    If that's more than you want to deal with, check to see if there's any burrs on the bolt face, make sure that the recess for the rim of the round doesn't have any gunk or junk in it that would compress the rim, also, in extremely cold weather, remove all the lube from the inside of the bolt around the firing pin.
    Mine has been absolutely reliable with zero malfunctions, shoots great, and I really like the gun in spite of all the 'problems' that others have mentioned on the internet.

Andy mine broke, but I have to say I've only had two problems with it. and those happened within six months,I've had this gun awhile ,like almost 15 years , and a rough est would be close to 100,000 rounds. It's not just my favorite 22 pistol its the one I start all the new shooters with.Take a couple kids out for the first time and if it trips their trigger they can burn a couple bricks in an afternoon. I've got a couple now, and if you want to go shooting sometime just give me a call, ya know I love the smell of burnt powder. Alex .Oh ya the part was like 3 bucks it took about a month for it to be in stock but I just didn't want to send the gun off.

Andy mine broke, but I have to say I've only had two problems with it. and those happened within six months,I've had this gun awhile ,like almost 15 years , and a rough est would be close to 100,000 rounds. It's not just my favorite 22 pistol its the one I start all the new shooters with.Take a couple kids out for the first time and if it trips their trigger they can burn a couple bricks in an afternoon. I've got a couple now, and if you want to go shooting sometime just give me a call, ya know I love the smell of burnt powder. Alex .Oh ya the part was like 3 bucks it took about a month for it to be in stock but I just didn't want to send the gun off.
    Thanks, and I may take you up on shooting when I get dug out from under all this dang homework. Hard on an old guy to try and keep up in school again.

Andy