Thread: moose meat

Default moose meat

someone i was up there ..one of the people that i had met has sent me some moose meat down here where i am at right now..for i told them i never had moose meat before
    they said they had some in the frezzer and would get it out and send it to me
    it about the sized of a small ham-x-about three pds sized chuck p of meat
    i would like to know if i could use it in a slow cooker with the following items so not to mess up the taste of the meat
    for this is what i plan to cook the meat with the following things
    spics-x salt -pepper-meat spice with bullion powder with two cups of water to cover the mix and checking back as need to keep the water in the cooker as need
    with the following vegs -pototes corn -carrots
    all mixed togerther then slow cooked for about 12.hours stated in the morning and when get up later that day it should be done when get up for work

any ideas to help for i never cook moose meat before

What you described should work, i did something similar a couple weeks ago. Since its lean, moist methods work best. Do not overcook and dry it out. Let us know how it works out.

I did a similar size moose roast the other day. Instead of bullion as you suggest, i used a package of dry onion soup mix, water and the veggies/potatoes you want to add. Mine was in the crock pot for about 6 hours - very good!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Bullion powder?

Never!

Let the moose taste like moose. Salt, pepper, and veggies are great.

Default low and slow best moose recipe ever !

Low temp 250 to 300 for a long time 4+ hrs... If you go too high on the temp it tastes chalky. Stab a few cloves of garlic in it, roll it in flower and sear it on a hot skillet to seal in the juices all sides. Place in a dutch oven or covered pot. Throw in a cup of water and a cup of apple juice and a can of cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 5 hrs. About an hour before you want to eat it throw in diced cellery, onions, potatoes, halved mushrooms. My favorite after 35 years of eating moose.
    Pick A Spot

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    Bullion powder?

Never!

Let the moose taste like moose. Salt, pepper, and veggies are great.
    I totally agree. Let the moose taste like moose!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default other flavor

I like to use veggie broth or french onion broth (out of a carton from the store) to make my roasts currently. I think it adds to the flavor - and still tastes like moose.

What kid of a cut is it besides a chunk of meat? I like to make swiss steak and gravey. Cut into 1/2" slices and beat the heck out of it if its a rough cut, braze it, then add flour and water, butter and seasoning, and let it simmer for an hour. Good stuff.