Thread: H4350 vs. IMR4350

Default H4350 vs. IMR4350

I have been researching the feasability of using H4350 in place of IMR 4350 in some of my reloads. I see that the burn rates etc are almost identical. I would like to hear others thoughts/experiances with using H4350 in place of IMR 4350

Quote Originally Posted by tradbowkill View Post
    I have been researching the feasability of using H4350 in place of IMR 4350 in some of my reloads. I see that the burn rates etc are almost identical. I would like to hear others thoughts/experiances with using H4350 in place of IMR 4350
    Use a starting load from the manual well below max and work up till you get the accuracy you want or top out on pressures. I won't sub either one directly, any more than I'll start using a new lot of the same powder without working my way up. Usually I'll test both varieties of 4350 in a rifle, and let the rifle tell me which is best for it.

Default IMR vs H xxxx

It is a different powder with a slightly different burn rate. Substitute directly, No. Work up loads and expect similar results, sure.

The 2008 hodgdons manuel lists imr 4350 as 91 st on a burn rate scale with h4350 as 92nd, it also lists a starting load for a 180 gr 30-06 as 52 gr h 4350 and 53 gr of imr 4350 .so starting with a low end load should be safe. 300 win mag 180 gr. starting imr 4350 63 gr imr 4350 66 gr.Alex

I believe that temperature insensitivity is the advantage of H4350 which is why I did exactly as you are suggesting and substituted H4350 for IMR 4350. I use a little more h4350 and get a little more velocity in 6.5 x 55 and .270 win although I doubt it is significant. Always work up but my starting loads were the same for both powders. Perfomance/accuracy differences are not noticable in my rifles but I do believe that for shooting the same load in plus 28 celcius and minus 15 celcius H4350 is a safer option.

Cheers

20 or more years ago you could interchange them without a problem. They were identical. H4350 has been modernized and may or may not be the same as IMR 4350 anymore. I find it unlikely that they would produce two different powders but perhaps they have lots of the old stuff left and sell it as IMR4350 and the new stuff is H4350. I would agree that as long as you don't start off replacing at the max loading you shoud be OK.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input. With the powder shortage going on it's nice to know that others have had success loading H4350. I should have stated in my post that I intended to start at sub-max loadings and work my way up. To me that goes without saying, I didn't take into account that you don't know me personally. Thanks for looking out for me.

Steve