Thread: Cargo sleds

Default Cargo sleds

What is the best way to secure cargo in a sled? We have a med size cargo sled and am trying to figure the best way to secure fuel cans and boxes in it.
    Thanks

Default Suggestion

Well, My biggest suggestion is to not use bungee cords. Erik in Ak warned me of doing this, but I tried it anyhow, and spent the day turning around picking up stuff! I've found any ratchet strap works great. Just the pull ones work best, as you don't have to worry about the ratchet mechanism freezing up. Would also suggest making sure you cover anything in the sled. You can pack a lot of snow into your stuff if you don't do this.

That's the best I got! Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default arctic bungee

I have used 1/4" diameter arctic grade bungee for sleds. The black round stuff. I drill holes in the sides and lace the bungee through. The tough thing is too figure out how much bungee you need to reach across, but not be too loose.
    At each "loop" I use an "S" hook or two to give me more options for tensioning. I just close the one end around the bungee. I never have had the open end come off when connecting loops and traveling. I set it up so the "laces" meet in the middle.
    The 1/4" holds down all except the heaviest loads, is fast to hook up, and doesn't seem to cause damage. If I had lumber or something really heavy I would go to straps.
    With that said, right now I use rope lacing and buckle cinch straps. I ran out of the bungee, and since mostly I haul firewood, did not want to buy more of it.

Tie it down with ever versitile rope.....

You cant have too much rope.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What is the best way to secure cargo in a sled? We have a med size cargo sled and am trying to figure the best way to secure fuel cans and boxes in it.
    Thanks
    Ratchet straps. And enough of them to be effective. Make fixed tie-down positions for the hooks. If they shift the straps can't stay tight.

I've never arrived at a destination with an intact load and complained that my load was secured too well.

Default Loops or lashing....

My first sled was an Otter II. I drilled holes all the way around the lip of the sled and put loops in each hole. Using bungee's or straps works great. I use bungees for light totes and gear, and straps for heavier gear (the pull style).

My second tow sled was a Cross-fox from North Sled Works (a far superior sled I must say and worth the extra money). This sled came with holes pre-drilled along the top edge on both sides of the sled. Orignally I attached straps/bungees directly to the pre-drilled holes. Now I've got lashing run on both sides of the sled. I lashed mine starting from the first hole, then going through every other hole (this leaves some holes to attach to directly when needed). Make sure to use a large stopper style knot for each hole, and though I placed all the knots on the outside of the my sled, I'd recommend having knots on the inside and outside of each hole.

Another thing to note is I generally carry all my stuff in Action packers. If you go this route, don't over pack them (if your carrying several, at least don't overpack the one riding in the front and rear of your snowmachine sled) as this leads to their lids not sealing correctly and the top of the container will fill up with snow. It isn't that big of a problem for most folks (who have pick-up trucks) but I have a van and so if I'm on an extended trip (say over a hundred road miles) I have to make sure to get the snow out or it will melt in the car on the ride home and depending on the riding conditions on the trip (powder/fluff etc) this can be a real problem.

A roll of stretch wrap works well for some loads. Bungee's work well for some loads. Straps work well for some loads. Rope works well for some loads. Each load is different and there is no one "best method" for all. I use every trick in the book for hauling and securing loads.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Zactly what Akres said. The deciding factors are the type of sled, the load, and what you have to tie to.

The most important factor is your sled and how your tie downs attach to it. Good old rubber bungee cords work great on rigid metal framed box-type sleds, especially the ones with expanded metal on the sides. The poly bungee cords also work well, but tend to be extremely stiff in the cold. The fiber-covered, multi-elastic strand el'cheapo bungee cords are worthless for nearly all tasks.

I've barrel rolled steel box-on-skiis sleds going over too rough trails at way too fast with nothing but bungee cords holding the cargo in and never lost anything, nor had a bungee come loose. On such load included four 5-gallon gas cans that went for an airborne 720 double roll, landed back on the skiis and kept on going without popping a bungee or spilling a drop of gas. Oh, but you've really got to pre-load those bungee's if you want them to stay!

If your sled has any flex in it (e.g. plastic sleds), then don't try to use fixed length tie downs such as cam-locks or ratchet straps. When the sled flexes on the trail, the fixed-length strap will easily pop off. Actually, I'd recommend against cam-lock tie downs for nearly all applications. You can't get them tight enough to stay there in any kind of a fixed length application. They only work with a compressible load. Ratchet straps work OK in certain applications, but they are expensive and high maintenance.

For the most universally "perfect" tie down material, I'd have to go with dynamic woven kernmantle fiber rope. It's cheap and will fit nearly any application. If you use a 2:1 compression knot when tying, it will do everything a ratchet strap can do. Get bundles of the small, cheap stuff (like 550 cord style) and you can just cut it to release a well-secured load without much guilt.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!