Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many years w/o a permit?

Default How many years w/o a permit?

Wondering who holds the record for number of years without drawing a permit. 12 for me, but I'm thinking there may be others who have been waiting longer.

The first year they had permits (maybe 1980) I got drawn as an alternate, I said what is that, they say we don't know. So I took the paper work to "C" street, they said, "Wow. WOW it really does say alternate, but we don't know what that is......?

Never got drawn in the last 29 years, and apply for six permits a year....

I was at 6 and counting, but now I'll have to reset that ticker.

Not been skunked but this year is my 5th permit in 20 years and I am now 42. Taken the average life span of a male that is not very good

Default There's never any shizzle in my nizzle.

I am only going on 3 years now with no draws. Not as long as long as you Romcho. But still just as painful. In a past life I must have been a poacher. Maybe it's all a conspiracy by the government?? Actually, I WOULD like to go and observe them do the actual drawing, I think it shoudl be public. Like a big dinner where you can watch the drawn numbers pop up on the screen at the Sullivan arena.

Who here thinks AK should go to a point system?

When having these discussions, it is worth noting what permits folks put in for. I have drawn a couple hard-to-win tags, but most of my permits have been of the easier-to-win variety. This may not be the case with some here, but I have one friend who complains constantly about not winning permits, yet all he puts in for are the tags where he has a 1% chance of winning like Tok sheep and Delta bison. As for me, I always mix it up - one or two dream hunts, then the rest higher % and somewhat less desirable permits.

excellent point Brian M. I never win squat, but I am also putting in for hunts that won't cost me an arm and a leg - stuff I can get to from South Central relatively easily, and don't have to fly too far to. And of course I always put in for the buffalo hunt in Delta. (my buddy actually won this year and I got to go with him).

Romcho and I always refer to our drawing fees as "annual F&G contrubutions" If the fees were tax deductiable as donations then we might feel better.

I didn't put in for the draw... Wasn't sure if I had to be here a yr when applications were due or I had to be here 1 yr when the actual hunt started... I know I confused myself. I think most states that conduct draws people who don't usually draw once you ask them what units they put in for that's when you say wow no wonder you didn't get drawn that has is a hard to draw unit anyhow. Down in Arizona I heard it all the time but found out guys were putting in for the trophy bull hunts and nothing else. But I remember in my home stat of Oregon well old home state some big shots at fish and game got caught red handed when some of the other bigwigs were drawn for some very highly prized hunts. That raised some eye brows an investigation was conducted and uh oh they were manipulating the computer system that did the draw, or something to that effect.

Default Draw Permits

I guess if you count the year they gave everyone a Nelchina permit I have actually been drawn. But I really don't count that one so I'm up to 24 years. I usually put in for the best odds compared to access as budget is allways part of the program. I do allways put in for Bison and have changed tactics to try for the farewell 1st as the odds are better but no help. I still think they should draw in public and not with the good ole computer and we could make a weekend of it!
    Last edited by Mt-Rush; 02-09-2009 at 22:55. Reason: Spelling

I agree with Brian, big time! My wife and I both drew tags last year and I have pulled one this year as well with the spring draw still to go. Without fail though all of our tags have been the last choice in their respective category. I scored one of the easier to win Chugach tags and my wife won a Delta Cow tag. I won an easier to win Kodiak Goat tag this year and I am happy with it. I have not won any truly "PRIME" trophy tags but I do get to hunt some pretty good areas! I think I will go for broke on the spring draw this year though, I am thinking all unit 14 cow tags! Man if I had one of those tags this past year I could have punched it daily!.....Now how much ya wanna bet we strike out on the spring draw...

The permits I apply for are mostly tough to get. DCUA, TMA, Bison, etc. This year I applies for 3 of the 20A moose permits. Not sure what the draw percentage is on those...probably much lower than it should have been. I also put in for DG475 this year for the first time and won. I think that is about a 70% chance to draw.

Default 4 out of 5 ain't bad

2005 ds203 killed a 12yr old ram
    dg475 did not hunt
    2006 dg477 killed a 6 year old billy
    2007 did not get a tag
    2008 dm774 messed up on a big bull, got his little brother 15 minutes later
    2009 dg344 just gotta figure out how to get in there
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

As mentioned before drawing percentages play a huge role in how often you get drawn. So far I've drawn 3 permits in the last 3 years. I think I can highly attribute this to the fact I research the highest percent draw tags that are some what accessible and apply for those. Granted I throw my name in the ring for a DCUA or a valley cow hunt here and there. But the majority of the tags I put in for high much higher draw percentages than the DCUA. Like Kodiak goats, 14 Archery Sheep, and Delta and unit 20a moose hunts.

You can also improve your odds drastically by putting people you know would like to go hunting on certain permits and help them apply. This allows automatically doubles/triples/ect your odds of possibly going on the hunt depending on how many people you apply for a given hunt. I do this especially since a chance to go on hunt is what its all about anyways I don't need to be the guy pulling the trigger to enjoy myself, in fact its often more fun that way.

Plus the people I assist in putting in for permits are usually more than willing to share some of the meat with me as I helped aquire the permit and butcher the animal. Its a win/win all around. Of course they are just odds in the end and people do continue to get the short straw at times. But I never heard life was fair and I'm sure the time will come when I won't draw any tags either, but that just means I got to go find someone luckier than I to packmule for that actually drew a tag then I still get to go.

I think that the only thing that really erks me about our system is that a guy can live here for 20 years and put in for the same coveted tags year in and year out and not draw them, yet a newbie Alaskan can move here and draw said coveted tag on his first try , in his first year as a resident. I have pretty much given up on drawing any of the coveted tags, though I go through the steps of donating for them annually. But there are some of the 2nd rate or 3rd rate tags like goats, cow moose,bou, and any sheep areas which there are really high odds of drawing and they arent hard to get. I think the system pretty much sucks, but I live with it!

Smile depends.....

I have never won a bison permit. I would love to win one so my grandkids would know grampa is a buffalo hunter. I have lived in Alaska since 1965 and I have lost track of how many years I have tried. I won a Koyukuk moose tag in 2007. A Unit 11 caribou tag and a Kenai cow moose tag in the early 80's. Thats it. I like the curent system where it is a random draw, it makes for a level playing field. I just wish I would win more often. Is our draw system fair? Probably not, nothing much is. I think the following 4 things should give points for drawing tags. Then I could win every year!

1. How long you have lived in Alaska.
    2. How tall you are.
    3. How much you weigh.
    4. How old you are.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I think that the only thing that really erks me about our system is that a guy can live here for 20 years and put in for the same coveted tags year in and year out and not draw them, yet a newbie Alaskan can move here and draw said coveted tag on his first try , in his first year as a resident. I have pretty much given up on drawing any of the coveted tags, though I go through the steps of donating for them annually. But there are some of the 2nd rate or 3rd rate tags like goats, cow moose,bou, and any sheep areas which there are really high odds of drawing and they arent hard to get. I think the system pretty much sucks, but I live with it!
    That is both good and bad. I love the fact that my kids will have an = opportunity to draw as soon as they are eligable!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I love the fact that my kids will have an = opportunity to draw as soon as they are eligable!

Agreed. My nephew will be 10 in May and we'll have him put in for a couple of moose permits. It would be awfully hard to tell him "well boy, spend some of your money to put in for some permits - maybe when you're 30 you'll have enough points to win something!"

I guess if we ever do go to a point system, we need to make sure that we set aside a number of youth-only hunts.

Hmmm... I've been in AK since 1978 and have never drawn a permit. Perhaps that's also why I've never bothered to buy a lottery ticket.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default never drawn

I have been putting in for the Etolin Island Elk (quite a few years) and the Ketchikan Mt Goat (3 years) hunts since they began. I have never drawn ... Some people are on their second draw for the Goat hunt and some hunters have draw 3 times on the Elk hunt !!!!!

But I have drawn Arizona 4 out of 5 times and I know a resident hunter that have put in for one of those tags for like 20 years and another one of those tags for quite a few years years.

Luck of the Draw !!!!!

Default Do the math

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The drawing system is all about money into the State coffers. If newbies had no chance to draw a tag, they wouldn't be entering the draw and wouldn't be sending the state any money. If the state wanted to make drawing odds go up, they'd limit you to one pick per year per species. But then they'd only get one five dollar fee from each applicant instead of three. Now they want to go to six? So they can collect six 5 dollar fees from the average applicant? You say, "Well I'm only going to apply for one draw so it won't effect me."? Well it will because there will be that many more applicants for each hunt so your odds will go down. They will force everyone to buy six chances just because that will be the only way to keep your odds of being drawn up. I'd rather see them raise the price to apply to $20 and limit you to one choice per species. Your odds of being drawn will go up.

Preference points is another way to make money for the state. And with preference points, they even suck people in who aren't planning on hunting that year. It's called buying preference points. It's all a scam to make more money on the drawings and it does nothing in the long run to increase your odds, especially for a hard to draw tag. on a draw with 25% odds, it will help a little, but on a draw that is .5% draw It's just sucking more money out of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast