Thread: Recommended GPS

Default Recommended GPS

Im looking for a decent GPS in the price range of 200-300$ to paddle down the yukon with. Along with what software to buy for it. Don't have much experience with a GPS so information would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoejunkie View Post
    Im looking for a decent GPS in the price range of 200-300$ to paddle down the yukon with. Along with what software to buy for it. Don't have much experience with a GPS so information would be helpful.
    I have a Garmin 76 CX that is color and has mapping capability. Comes with a very basic map database. Has the new SIRF chipset that locks on quick and is very accurate. But mapping software is available from the manf. I bought both. Got the GPS on sale at West Marine for $300. Maps cost another $80 for the entire US (Topozone). Unit has a Quad Helix antenna. works well in the trees when others won't lock onto satalites.http://www.tigergps.com/garmingpsmap...0cx|2342821664

I've got a model 12 also and my sons both have Etrex's. The $90 versions. All are Garmins and have given good service. Thats besides the unit in my truck, (Garmin). Happy with all of them. 5 units that have been exceptional in performance. Even the ancient mod. 12.

not sure what you are asking. are you looking for recommendations or to buy a used one?

if the former, look at MEC or REI. pick the one best serves your needs.

if the latter, try ebay.

unless you are planning to do extensive hiking on your trip all you need for the yukon trip are some 1:250,000 maps and a basic gps unit that will give you lat and lon.

Default GPS

If you know what you want look on E bay but there is no warrinty if you buy there, I have a 60 CXS great unit, batteries will be your problem if you leave it on all the time, you will use about 2 sets a day, [ 24 hr ] you don't need a compus or an altimeter that will cut down the Battery use with 76 CXS or the 60 CXS you can get a large menory card an but your hole trip on it that is a little problem the size of the card that come with the unit might be a little small for the trip I think [ you will probley need a 1 G card added cost ]

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    If you know what you want look on E bay but there is no warrinty if you buy there, I have a 60 CXS great unit, batteries will be your problem if you leave it on all the time, you will use about 2 sets a day, [ 24 hr ] you don't need a compus or an altimeter that will cut down the Battery use with 76 CXS or the 60 CXS you can get a large menory card an but your hole trip on it that is a little problem the size of the card that come with the unit might be a little small for the trip I think [ you will probley need a 1 G card added cost ]
    What he said.

You have no need for altimeter, guessing. The 'S' units, CX"S" include altimeter. And cost more. And use more power. With more than 4 sat's you will get alt. info anyway from a "CX". Guaranteed with a Quad Helix and the SIRF chip. One less bell and whistle not needed. Just get a "CX" version. Ditto on the batts. I'd only turn the unit on a couple times a day to get bearings and location info. And still bring plenty of replacements. As noted you'll get about 12 hours from a set of 2. I prefer NIMH recharge-ables. These outpower the alkalines. And pack plenty NIMH's. If using the unit only 3 times a day for short periods to get location, I'm thinking 4 batts every 14 days. Double that to be safe. And you'll be surely covered, you know, for when you forget and leave it running.

Oh, the difference between the 76 and 60's are the 76's will float. And have a slightly, slightly larger screen. Might be important to you or not, on your float trip. The floating part. A 60 is all that, but a 76 is all that and a little more.

Plus 1 on a larger card. Although I think you can load all the maps from Topozone for the Yukon on the factory 256 card. try it and see. I was able to download about a quarter of AK onto the 256 card. Thinking you can get the pertinent topo's for the Yukon onto the same. But you will not be able to load al of AK onto one. I tried. And cards are cheap.

I've gone to this for batt's. Rechargeable and more powerfull, more so than alkaline. http://flashlightnews.org/story443.shtml Great charger and comes with 4 2500 mah batt's. I also use the 2700 mah batt's from Duracell. Those and the Evereadys are good stuff. That charger will charge up to 2700 mah. And thats where current technology is at. 2700 is plenty powerfull enough for any electronic device.

i hear its best to bring both map and gps, do any of these programs allow me to print maps?... or any recommendations? i dont want to get trapped out there but i havent been able to find the maps i need.. and if i have found any.. ill need to spend like 3-400$ on just topo maps...

Default Printing

I also have the 60Csx and use the Nautical maps frequently. You can print them off your computer. I usually print an area that I'm going to fish after zooming in on the area. In your case, if you are going to do the Yukon, you could end up with a ream of paper. You may be better off with USGS topo maps that won't take up as much paper and you can keep them in your waterproof map holders. Remember that your printer will only be printin 81/2x11.

M

Default Canoejunkie

By the way, you can order or print from the USGS website if you can't find your maps anywhere else.

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...&uiarea=2)/.do

Take a look

M

oh well thanks! what do u mean only print 81/2x11? is that normal paper size?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoejunkie View Post
    oh well thanks! what do u mean only print 81/2x11? is that normal paper size?
    Yes, thats the size of a sheet of paper. Lots of places online including google maps, to print for free on-line. Won't be waterproof though. And like you stated, USGS maps add up. Thats why I like my maps on my GPS.

Though I would recommend you to print out a couple large scale maps of the area you'll be in. And include Lat's and Lon's on them. Stick them in a ziplock bag and use if needed. If your GPS gives up the ghost, those along with a compass and knowledge of same can and will haul your azz out of the fire.