Thread: cabelas alaskan guide scope

Default cabelas alaskan guide scope

I need a scope for my Remington model 750 carbine in .308. I still hunt the high peaks region of the Adirondack mountains and I need a rugged, reliable low powered scope that can pick up moving targets quickly in thick cover. I have zero experience with Cabelas Alaskan Guide scopes and was wondering if any of you have. The 1.5-5x32 model looks like it would be perfect. I am also thinking about a Leupold, either 1.5-5, or 1.75-6, a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5, or a Sightron sII 1.25-5. They are all quite costly, but the cabelas scope is on sale for $179,$100 off regular price. I have several Leupold scopes and love them all, but I wonder about this cabelas scope. It looks interesting.

West"by GOD"Virginia

The main thing that concerns me about Cabela's brand scopes is that I've never seen it posted anywhere on the forums I frequent as to who makes them or where they're made.
    I will suggest two scopes that are sold by one of the sponsors that not near as the other scopes you've considered: I'd be most interested in the 1.5-4.5x32 w/Firefly reticle(type info in).

Can't speak about the "Guide" series of scopes, but I know the reports I've seen on forums regarding their "Lever Action" scopes have all be negative with most of them returned...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I bought one about a 2 years ago. Not impressed. When I took it back the counter guy tried to tell me it was my fault for putting it on a .375 H&H. To their credit they did eventually give me money towards a different scope.

I fell for the low price and had a Cabellas gift card so I gave it a try. Other than that I've always used Leupold. Save up the money and get something that will work forever.

Default American Rifleman article

There is an article/review of the Cabela's 4.5-14x 42mm Alaska Guide riflescope in the February 2009 issue of the NRA's American Rifleman magazine. If you're not a NRA member or don't know someone who is, you can read the article online. [NOTE: given the current political climate, if you aren't a member of NRA, GOA, or some other pro-gun group, please consider joining.]

Here's the link: If that link doesn't work, just go to -- you'll see the article "above the fold". Overall, the review was favorable.

PS. the article says that they're made in Japan
    Last edited by Forestar; 02-11-2009 at 13:54. Reason: additional information