Thread: fly fishing with jigs

Default fly fishing with jigs

My boy wants to try some jigs this year so I am in the process of tying some up for his birthday, and looking to protect the paint from being chipped off so easily. Has anyone tried using Softex once the paint has dried? Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on weights to tie? Was thinking of 1/16 and 1/8 oz for trout flies. Unsure of needed weight sizes for the Kenai or say smaller stuff like Willow... Any info appreciated. Guess I might as well tie some up for Silvers, any weight suggestions for them?

Default softex

I use softex on my beads after the nail polish dries. It doesn't last forever, but lasts a heck of a lot longer than just the polish itself. It does make the paint a bit more dull, but for the beads it is a desired effect.

I used to paint a lot of jigs for walleyes smallies etc. and just bought some clear laquer (hobby paint) and a coat of that usually shined em up nice and put a decent hard shell on them too. I'm not sure if casting an 1/8 ounce jig will be all that fun...but the smaller ones would probably be okay.