Thread: Looking for SES rating...

Default Looking for SES rating...

Hey all-

Have been lurking for months and read many past posts but was hoping to get an "updated" take.

I have started to research and look into getting my sea rating early this summer. I have heard that I would want to stay away from lake hood as the traffic is high and flight time to and from the lakes is long. Any suggestions? There is an outfit out of Talkeetna, the name escapes me (?float and rudder? maybe) that seemed good.

Any advice and recommendations would be great.

Jason

Sorry but I must ring my own bell , or is it toot my own horn, in this case.

www.floatplanealaska.com

PS: I actually have insurance to give SES, Ski and Tailwheel instruction from London Aviation Underwriters, via Falcon Insurance agent Dean Eichholtz in Soldotna.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default SES rating

Float pilot above has been around for a long time, and even though he doesn't know me, I have watched him do things on the many occasions I flew out of the nearby airport. Hes got good equipment, and been around awhile, and that means ALOT!!!!!
    Another place to try is Moose pass,the place you pass on your way to seward. I have had plenty of friends go thru him, and have had a good time, and I am impressed what they learned in just a few days.
    Just my 2 cents.

What Float Pilot is loosely alluding to as he gently blows his own horn is that several of the outfits around Alaska who provide float training are uninsured, including our friends in Moose Pass and at Christiansen Lake near Talkeetna. What does that mean to you? You should decide before getting in their airplane - it is what it is.

I did not intend to imply any specific outfit was flying uninsured. I have been friends with Don in Talkeetna for many years and I know Vern in Moose Pass as well. I do not know their current situation, since it is none of my business.
    Both being long-time Alaskans, you can't go wrong with either of them.

There are however, other outfits which only seem to show up in the summer, usually staffed by low time folks trying to pay for their Alaska vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I did not intend to imply any specific outfit was flying uninsured. I have been friends with Don in Talkeetna for many years and I know Vern in Moose Pass as well. I do not know their current situation, since it is none of my business.
    Both being long-time Alaskans, you can't go wrong with either of them.

There are however, other outfits which only seem to show up in the summer, usually staffed by low time folks trying to pay for their Alaska vacation.
    Thy are both very good pilots and good instructors too from all the people I've talked to, though I have only flown with Don Lee.

I was simply saluting you for going the extra step, and giving a gentle hint that insurance should be one of many factors that should be considered when choosing a flight school. I know that Vern makes it pretty clear to potential clients that he is not insured.

I figure that it can't hurt.

Not so much injury of the float client since as we all know a cub can barely fly fast enough to kill you...

But there is also third party stuff to think about...

Lets say you and I are goofing around on the way back from the check ride and we loose an engine, get clipped by a meteor, or attacked by suicide ducks...
    Anyway we splash into a short lake and end up running up onto somebodies dock or hit somebodies house....

The third party will of course sue the crap out of everyone, even if there are no REAL injuries.

Heck-fire, some guy with an uninsured C-185 worth $150,000 (I know a couple guys with those) could run into us while taxiing around on a lake. If he has more witnesses than we do, we sure could use some insurance to fight a bogus law-suit.....

I run a one man shop... No other instructors...
    I instruct (fly) for a couple days and then we make the cross country up to Soldotna for the check-ride with the DPE.
    I don't work for the DPE and he does not work for me... I teach so that the customer can pass his check-ride with any examiner.

I only do a limited number of ratings per summer, so I can still have fun doing it.. Most of my clients are from word of mouth via the Supercub.org site, gals / guys from the Air Guard or Air Force.
    Most folks bring a spouse along so we might fly half days so they can go out on boat-trips or hit the art stores during the other half of the day. I set aside however many days a couple want to stay here and give them all that time so nobody feels like I am chasing them off....