Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Goats

Default Mounting Goats

Well since there are so many of us that will be chasing the white beasts around the mountains this yeark I think it is an excelent time to discuss what type of mounts you are considering. I have always pictured a beautiful full curl ram head mount on my wall and just assumed that at some point I would try and get a goat to match. So far I have been unsuccessful on the sheep front but since this year is about goats I started really looking at the possibilities for them. I am planning an Oct hunt and will hopefully bring home a nice long haired billie. If that comes to pass I think it would be a shame to only bring back the cape for a head mount. I am strongly considering doing a rug mount! Does anyone have a pic('s) they can post of a rugged goat? I have skinned one black bear for a rug and it turned out pretty well but I imagine you need to do the legs a bit different with a goat.
    I am just curious what others are thinking about doing this year if they are able to capitalize on their tags? If one of the Taxidermists could chime in on caring for them and the available options that would be awesome as well!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well since there are so many of us that will be chasing the white beasts around the mountains this yeark I think it is an excelent time to discuss what type of mounts you are considering. I have always pictured a beautiful full curl ram head mount on my wall and just assumed that at some point I would try and get a goat to match. So far I have been unsuccessful on the sheep front but since this year is about goats I started really looking at the possibilities for them. I am planning an Oct hunt and will hopefully bring home a nice long haired billie. If that comes to pass I think it would be a shame to only bring back the cape for a head mount. I am strongly considering doing a rug mount! Does anyone have a pic('s) they can post of a rugged goat? I have skinned one black bear for a rug and it turned out pretty well but I imagine you need to do the legs a bit different with a goat.
    I am just curious what others are thinking about doing this year if they are able to capitalize on their tags? If one of the Taxidermists could chime in on caring for them and the available options that would be awesome as well!
    A guy I work with has a rugged goat in his house. I thought it looked pretty darn cool. If either my dad or myself is able to score on either of our goat permits I'm gonna get it rugged instead of a mount. I'll save the shoulder mount for the sheep.

One of the coolest goat mounts I've seen is a half lifesize goat (mid-body forward, including the legs) coming out of rocks with snow and icicles hanging from the rocks. It did a pretty good job of capturing the ruggedness and nastiness of the terrain that time of year, instead of just being a head coming out of drywall. I'll try to get a picture sometime soon.

As for me, I like goat European mounts.

I already have a sheep on the wall courtesy of the misses, I'd like to hang a goat on the other side. When things come together this fall I would love a life size, considerable to this (photo from larsen bay lodge for reference). Or a simple shoulder would suffice.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think rug mounts look pretty good, however I have my heart set on a half mount coming out of the wall standing on a rock

Default I like it

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I already have a sheep on the wall courtesy of the misses, I'd like to hang a goat on the other side. When things come together this fall I would love a life size, considerable to this (photo from larsen bay lodge for reference). Or a simple shoulder would suffice.

What would you call that mount? This one seems like it would fit nicely in a corner. Kind of getting tired of the head out of the drywall look.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default Both

I have a half lifesize on the rock coming out of the wall. I have a rug as well. I would recommend a rug if you shoot a goat late (Oct 10 or later) and half body if before that. NOTHING beats a big billy rugged out. However, I am kind of a goat nut. I'll get a pic up soon.

I want a half-life size mount with the rock base, etc. Pretty much what Brian described is how I want mine to look. Luckily, I got another goat permit to try and make that happen.

Bob, I have no idea, I took the pic from another website (larsen bay lodge) and used it for reference. Also check harters taxidermy, their site has some real nice pics.

Harters...
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Hunt Alaska mag ad

Look at the Alaska hunt mag on p. 81 at the action anatomy taxidermy ad. It has a goat rug in it that looks really awesome except, for the bottom jaw fir still attached. Personally I think it looks weird. I want a rug like this minus the lower jaw fir.

Default Goat rugs

are cool. I like having the rug just hanging over a banister also. I am thinking that I would do the euro and have the rug just tanned and hanging. I would like a lifesize, but just not sure if I will ever have the room! Best of luck! I need to get back in the goat mountains soon!

Default rug pic

before we hung it. Its awesome on the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default goat mount

I killed a nice goat on Sept.4 last year while hunting with Ed Toribio of Primo Expeditions and should have it back at the end of this month. Great turnaround time, eh?? My taxidermist talked me into a half mount walking down the rocks and I`m glad he did. I`ll probably never hunt goats again so what the hell is another 500 bucks at this point. I`ll be able to appreciate it that much more. I`ll send some pix as soon as I get it back. I have a beautiful sheep mount that I admire daily but I think I will like the half mount even more.Now to save my pennies for one more trip to Alaska to get a bear before I`m pushing up grass!!! Good luck to all.

Default hair

Wonder how much difference there would be regarding length of hair from hunting the 25th of Sept. rather than starting the 8th of Oct. (in Southeast). I can't imagine a couple of weeks making that much difference. My hair only grows about 3/16 of an inch in two weeks (I'm guessing), but I'm not a goat albeit my wife says I smell like one at times .

Also, wonder how much daylight one would lose in that two week time period. In addition, I am not sure that the weather would really be that much nastier unless we get a strong low system move in. Trying hard to decide on these two dates. Anyone have a clue on these questions?

Default Later is better

Go for the later dates. I will do my best to hunt goats mid oct or later from now on. The difference in hair will be dependent on the weather but it will no doubt be less earlier. Even if its a little shorter......its shorter. As a side benefit the snow usually pushes them down.

Default goats

that mount in the picture at larsen bay lodge is a half life size....i've mounted that form many times and it is a great mount....no matter what take a life size hide .....if i knew i only wanted a half life size the only thing i would ever think of not bringing out would be the back hooves....the reason that action anatomy rug looks funny around the beard is because they put extra felt there....if you let the hair flow over the felt it looks fine....rugs are great and take up less space than a life-size...half life sizes take up less space on the wall but stick out quite a ways.......as for goat field care.....skin it just like a bear for the most part...center of belly from anus to middle of beard hair, go around the scrotum if equipped, not through..then...between back hoof to anus to between other back hoof..and..between front hoof to elbow across chest to other elbow to between other front hoof.....remove hooves where leg bone meets toes....remove head where skull and back bone meet.....keep it cool and dry......you will appreciate DRY goat hides can become 4X heavier when wet...if you can get it to your taxidermist like this there should be no reason for them to be happy since you didn't not cut the crap out of the eyes and nose and toes and ears....but if you want to take the head out cut a short line from horn to horn then from center point between horns to about 12 inches STRAIGHT back cutting between horn glands please do not do a "y" incision straight into both glands....once the head is removed then if you feel comfortable you can turn the ears lips nose and eyelids..and skin the toes...if you do not feel comfortable doing this leave it for your taxidermist...please... goats are faily thin skinned and it is easy to make holes....and for them to get holes falling....more so around the eyes than sheep since they do not have the flaring horns to protect them some....but you would be surprised what a good taxidermist can fix....goats go from an inch of hair in august ont eh shoulder to about 4 or 5 inches in october and keep growing after that......in the fall i think we lose about 6 minutes a day so in two weeks thats almost an hour and a half less daylight
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thanks for the info sharksinsalsa!!! I was wondering if it was just like bear to skin out. How much salt to you reccomend to keep a hide for a rugged goat in tip top condition while out in the field for 5 days or so??

Thanks

Default my september goat

here is my goat that i shot in september 22 hunting with Ed toribo.i know after i was done with my hunt the next hunter came in the first week of october and they had snow,sleet and freezing rain.i was told that the weather starts to turn for the worst in the 3rd week of september but i also seen some of there hunts have beautiful weather,after 3rd week of september weather can go either way and more likely you will have less good days to hunt.

Default salt

i'd leave 10-15lbs at the bottom of the mountain to put on the hide.....if you can get out and to a taxidermist quickly i would prefer unsalted...the front half of a goat is pretty thin skinned and dries really fast and if it isn't fleshed out before salted good it can cause more problems.....just dont' let the skin get any air to dry out salted or unsalted...if i had to spend extra time in the field with it i'd turn the ears lips and nose and skin the toes and then put a fine layer of salt on it just enough to get salt on everything and then roll it in half lengthwise skin to skin tucking the head and legs inside and roll it up then put it in a game bag with the belly side of the roll down and hang it off the ground a few inches so the juice would drain and not pool up in or on it..usually by october things are cooled down and you dont' have to worry about too much heat being stored in the hide or meat....if it does feel warm hang it over a branch or something for 15 or 20 minutes to let the heat dissapate...i'd have a large contractors garbage bag to put he hide and meat(seperately) in for the plane ride or car ride home...especially if you have salted the hide....i like to make nice with pilots in case i need an extra trip in or they can bring something i forgot on a run going that way....one way to make sure they never do that if you use them again is to let an animal ooze all over inside their plane
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default nice

Bowmaster, that's an awesome goat with an awesome backdrop.
    I have a lifesized goat just like TWB's but with a right turn instead of left. When I shoot another one I'll get it rugged. My buddy, has a nice rugged goat but he's in Mexico until Sat. (rough life) I'll see if he can post it when he gets back. We shot our goats one day apart on Kodiak a few years back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast