Thread: "The Pipeline" Dipnet

Default "The Pipeline" Dipnet

50 foot 2" PVC floating handle (10 ft sections with threaded couplings) attached to 1/2" soldered copper octagon that is floated with handle. Vertical position indicator at net, and special techniques and understanding of current required to be able to use it.......

Not needed and gets in the way when fishing is really hot.
    But when it is slow, I usually outfish most people.

Some of you may have seen me on the south bank...

I have thought of going to 100 feet when fishing is really slow and there is nobody else to navigate around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. Do you walk with the current to keep the pole from bending too much?

Default walk it or work it

either walk which is preferred, or if there are too many people with long handled "push and park" type nets, then I pull it in dragging along the surface of the water and push it back out. If it gets really crowded, I have to either use a dry suit to get out past the push and park nets, or go to a shorter handle. The best fun is when nobody else is catching, and I make a walking pass and pick up a double or triple before dragging the net out. Down side is I have had a sea lion hit the frame one time.....

Does it ever get run over by the boats? You must be using it where boats are not allowed to dip.

Default ""No Boats Area" only

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    Does it ever get run over by the boats? You must be using it where boats are not allowed to dip.
    Correct.

I fish from the south bank of the Kenai in the "no boats" area. The boats never come close enough to shore for it to be a problem. I do have a vertical 1 -foot high riser pipe soldered into the top of the net frame that is wrapped with pink flagging that helps me see the end of the net and keep the net oriented straight up and down. People call it the "strike indicator" because you can see it bouncing around when a fish hits!

There are sometimes big waves and/or wakes at the beach from passing commercial boats..............but the pipe is flexible and strong enough that it rides the waves no problem. I was there last year on the big windy sandstorm day and it worked no problem with 2 - 3 foot breakers.

Holy handles Batman! That rig will be a LOT of fun when a 80# king gets wrapped up in it .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Cool Bring It!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Holy handles Batman! That rig will be a LOT of fun when a 80# king gets wrapped up in it .
    Bring it On!

One year I got three quadruples and one triple.....albeit still a long way from 80lbs.

If you look close at the photo you will see I run a piece of parachute cord tied to the soldered copper net frame, duct taped every ten feet back along to the handle to the far end that I hold onto. That way if the pipe breaks I still get my net frame back. PVC pipe is dirt cheap so I would love the chance to try a big king....either way it is going to get landed.

I had one blow through a hole in my net once

What a crazy long net handle... very creative idea though... work smart not hard right?
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

very creative...what kind of vertical position indicator do you use?

Default position indicator

The vertical position indicator is a 1-ft piece of copper tubing soldered into the copper tubing net frame. I tightly wrapped the indicator tube with pink flagging so it is easy to see. The net is vertical as long as the riser tube is pointed straight up.

have to call bull on this one. If that is the same one I saw on the kenai, I saw alot of work trying to float and control the net and not many fish. I'll keep my 20 foot handle and always get my limit. if it works for you more power to ya

Default Never said it was easy..........

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    have to call bull on this one. If that is the same one I saw on the kenai, I saw alot of work trying to float and control the net and not many fish. I'll keep my 20 foot handle and always get my limit. if it works for you more power to ya
    From my first post.........

"Not needed and gets in the way when fishing is really hot.
    But when it is slow, I usually outfish most people"