Thread: Model 7 vs. Model 700

Default Model 7 vs. Model 700

What is the main difference between a Remington Model 7 and a Model 700? My wife has a Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08, and it is a great shooting, lightweight gun. I want to get another one for my nephews (and son, eventually) to use, but they don't make the Model 7 in a Youth rifle anymore. I was at Boondock Sporting Goods the other day and he told me they could get a Model 700 Youth for about $550. He indicated that the difference is just a slight length increase in the action. Is there more to it than that? If so, we may get the 700 and keep it for my wife, and give her Model 7 to the kids to beat up. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Default model 7

have 2 model 7's in 223 and 308-lighter than 700 with smaller actions to handle shorter rounds. put timney triggers in both. used the 308 as sheep rifle as much lighter than the 700

The 700 youth uses the same barrel length as a standard model 7. The 700 will be a tad heavier (1/2#) than a model 7. Length of pull is an inch less on the 700 youth vs a standard Model 7. The receiver will be a 1/2" longer on the 700 than the model 7.

Essentially the same rifle.

So: if you were to get the wife a 700 youth it would have the same LOP as her current Model 7 youth. Barrel would be the same length, Overall length would be about 1" more, and the 700 would weigh about 3/4# more than her current rifle.

If she was to get a Standard model 7: LOP would be an 1" longer than her current Model 7, and it would weigh about a 1/4# more. Barrel would be same. And overall length would be about an 1" more than her current rifle.

Sooo.. in conclusion.. essentially the same rifle. I think it depends on the individual, but would she be more comfortable with a heavier rifle, but keeping very similar shooting characteristics with same LOP, or would she easily adapt to an additional inch of pull in order to save a smidge of weight.
    Are you thinking of keeping it in 7mm-08? If you were going to go with a slightly heavier caliber, than a slightly heavier rifle would in theory help her reduce felt recoil.

wow.. I must have been bored.. that was a long winded response to a fairly simple question..

I dig Remington 700's, but I got rid of the only Model 7 I owned.

My beef main beef with the Model 7 is the stock selection Remington chooses for this particular rifle. The Model 7's action is shorter (and lighter) than the 700's, but Remington ends up negating much of the weight loss by using heavy stocks. The factory plastic stock is HEAVY! Their laminate stocks are pretty hefty as well. If Remington would put a B&C stock on the Model 7, like the one they put on the model 700 Titanium model, they'd really have something. In the meantime, they have a lightweight action with a clunky stock.

Because the Model 7's action is shorter, they will not fit in a short action 700 stock. Their are LOTS of aftermarket stocks for the model 700, but stocks for the Model 7 aren't all that common, nor cheap.

Default Bolts....

I took my sons Mdl 7mm-08 to Dieselman. This guy is a wealth of information...he is a competition rifle shooter and can tell you just about anything you want to know. He told me that one of the reasons that "serious shooters" dont use the Mdl 7 more is one the bottom of the rifle where the bottom metal is the model 700 has 2 bolts and the model 7 only has one. Now to me, it seems that 2 bolts would hold the action better than 1. This will probably not be an issue to you, but that is something to think about.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Brian,

Back when I was shopping for a rifle for the wife (4’ 11” x 120 lbs) I had a heck of a time finding one she could comfortably shoulder and function. We tried a pile of rifles and finally settled on a Model 7 Remington in .260 Rem (not youth) with a nice wood stock (the wife shares my disdain for anything plastic and the youth model was either plastic or stained birch) and had Andy Hawk cut the LOP down 2” and install a Pachmeyer decelerator pad, install a muzzle break (yes I hate them too, but the recoil was a tad too much for wifey without it) work the trigger, drill and tap the receiver for 2 piece scope mounts and installed a Burris 2x7 compact scope with QRW rings (still has open sights)… so in the end, it is about 1 inch shorter LOP than the standard “youth” rifle, but about the same overall lenght due to the muzzle break.

With its pensile thin barrel, wood stock that actually contacts the barrel near the fore end and light weight, I expected groups in the neighborhood of 2” to 3” for 5 shots at 100 yards… I seriously underestimated this gun! It is truly the only gun we collectively own (out of more than 2 dozen) that I can feel good about calling a “tack driver”.. Now you must be careful to allow proper cooling between shots or that thin short barrel will warp enough from heat to string the group out, but if you space your shots and take your time, you can put all 5 into an inch or often as not, into three quarters of an inch, and that (indicated by my notes) is before I figured out that groups were measured from the CENTER of the holes and not the outer edges!

I love that gun! A lot! It is light, it shoots GREAT, it is comparatively compact and really very attractive with the scope and nicely figured stock. As a bonus, it is short enough that it will fit cross ways on the front of her ATV and not hang out over the fenders. It I wasn’t such a fat body, I think it would be the perfect sheep or goat gun. Well… it may very well be the perfect sheep or goat gun, it just doesn’t have an owner in good enough shape to drag it up a mountain…. and the wife sure wont go alone...

I guess the point of all this is that if I honestly thought that all model 7’s shot as good as this gun, and a short action cartridge would suffice for the intended game, I would have no reason to ever buy another model 700… but with this as the only example we have, I kind of think we might have just lucked out and got really lucky?! I don’t know. I have never had a Remington anything that shot “bad”, some were ok, some were pretty good, but more often than not, they were great!

When all was said and done, we got about $1200 into the wife’s rifle, including all the smithing work and optics… not exactly a “bargain” and sure as heck not a "cheap gun" but I do feel that the end result is worth the expense. That said, would I be willing to spend that much on a rifle for each of my three boys?… Uhmmm, lets just say that it aint lookin good at this point… I do love them boys more than life it’s self, but they might just have to swing the “custom” guns on their own if you know what I mean!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Three different action lengths in the Rem lineup.

Mod 700 LA (long action) to include the magnums
    Mod 700 SA (short action)

And then the Mod 7

A model 7 is about a quarter inch shorter than the 700 SA. You cannot put a mod 7 action into a 700 SA stock. Not gonna happen. Both my sons shoot a mod. 7 youth in .260 Rem. My oldest is now ready for a longer length of pull stock. Leaning towards a Richards micro-fit laminated or the Boyds JRS laminated. Looking to add some weight to a lightweight rifle. As noted above, recoil on these small rifles is something to be seen. If only Boyds had not made it so hard to get a stock nowadays. Might look to e-bay for a take off mod. 7 stock.

Thanks for the info, fellas. My wife loves her Model 7 in 7mm-08 that she already has, but if we were going to buy the Model 700 we wanted to be sure that it wasn't "better", and thus should become her gun. I think she'll keep it as hers, and we'll add another to the arsenal for the youngsters. She's a little thing, but her gun doesn't kick at all and is a pleasure to shoot for her. Of course, she also likes shooting my S&W 329 44mag, so maybe she's just crazy.

Default My model 7

is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I have the stainless/synthetic .300saum. I worked up some hand loads and am shooting 150gr Barnes copper mtx at 3125fps and less than an inch @ 100 yards. At something like 7.5lbs with the scope, it is one heck of a goat, moose,bou,elk,deer, gun.

Default Awesome model 7

I too bought a 7 for the wife in a .308 and it has become our family's favorite rifle. It's the SS w/factory plastic stock glass bedded. Had to have the short barrel shortened a few yrs back but that thing will shoot just about any load into sub moa hot or cold. The only downside it has is lower velocity from the shorty barrel...it still puts a big moose flat on the ground with Barnes 150 Xs.