Thread: GMU 7 Caribou

Default GMU 7 Caribou

Hey folks, anyone have a little insight they are willing to share on this area. Fish and game reports that big indian creek is a good area but I didnt see any trails that head to the west from resurrection trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehunterodd View Post
    Hey folks, anyone have a little insight they are willing to share on this area. Fish and game reports that big indian creek is a good area but I didnt see any trails that head to the west from resurrection trail.
    When are you going......? I know a wee bit about the area.

Isnt caribou in that area a permit draw only, DC001 in the spring draw??

I'm pretty sure that you're correct, that there are no trails from Resurrection up into Big Indian Creek. There may be something that has been worn into place by hunters over the years, but certainly no established, maintained trail.

dkwarthog is also correct that this hunt is by drawing permit only.

Be aware that this is a very difficult hunt. Motorized access is almost non-existent, so going in by foot or horseback are your only options. Every year there are plenty of folks on here that start out excited that they won this hunt, only to end up disappointed or angry that it didn't turn out to be what they expected. Access is difficult, caribou densities are low, and success rates are even lower. F&G gives out 250 permits every year to achieve an average harvest of 10-15 animals. That pencils out as a success rate of 5-7% most years, which by caribou hunting standards might be considered abysmal.

If you're looking for an adventure and are willing to walk 10-20 miles one way over the course of multiple trips, this is a great hunt. If you're looking for a good chance at success, you should probably look elsewhere.

Default tough hunt

Brian is right. A friend pulled this permit last fall and I packed for him. We covered alot of ground and never saw a bou. Did see a wolf but my partner talked me out of taking the shot. Oh well, it was HIS hunt