Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigarette Prices

Question Cigarette Prices

So I'm trying to quite, but if I dont by the time I make it there, whats the going rate up there. I have a feeling its crazy.
    Find Yourself.

The state put huge taxes on them a couple years ago, so I believe the going rate is around $5-6 per pack now.

Chantix is considerably cheaper and it works. Get your doc to hook you up!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default You will do it...when you make up your mind...

Quote Originally Posted by goingwest View Post
    So I'm trying to quit, but if I dont by the time I make it there, whats the going rate up there. I have a feeling its crazy.
    goingwest-

My observation - the state with the LEAST amount of smokers...ALASKA!
    Not sure if it's the 'No Puffin' campaign or what, but definitely noticeable... and kudos to the state, for that.

OK, so the alcohol picture is a bit different..

With regard to quitting, I am of the belief that 'addiction is a choice'..
    You choose to smoke, you can choose to quit....
    And you will not be successful until you DECIDE to do so.

With regard to 'a drug', 'a gum', 'a group' - yes they can and have helped many, but they are not for everyone...
    and, as with Chantix, in particular - it is not without potentially detrimental side effects.

As a physician, who has seen more than a few cases of various side effects, I feel compelled to say 'it is not a quick substitute and you are home free'...

OK... off rant...
    I wish you well - you can and will succeed - when you get your head in the game.
    Besides - when you figure out your monetary savings in ANY state, that should be a motivation (after the health affects, naturally.)

Best,
    Doc

6-7 bucks a pack and for those that chew 7-8 a can
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yep $6.65 a pack for Marlboro of any flavor! If you don't quit there you will here. Personally I am against the gustapo ban practices forced by the state and cities. I personally believe that a buisness should be able to make it's own policy and I will choose to go there or not based on that. It is a free country after all... I am quit now since March of 2008. I didn't use a drug and neither did my wife we just quit. Turns out quiting is a highly effective way to quit. You just don't do it anymore. Now regarding the Doc's point of view on addiction I respect his years of schooling however addiction is not suddenly fiction because you want it to be. I have no doubt that I am addicted to Smoking. I still get cravings some times, My parents who have been quit for almost 30 years still get occasional cravings! You are right though Doc it is a decision that you have to make and then follow through with. The best thing is the increased lung capacity! I was amazed when I woke up one day and took a deep breath and realized that it was a truly DEEP breath! No chest constriction no nothing!

Well i bought some patches today, I've stopped for about 3 weeks a couple years ago. And the first week or two are the toughest. I know i can do this. Thanks for the support guys! But addiction is more than a choice. There are physical withdraws a person will go thru. Moodswings and insominia, to name a few.
    Find Yourself.

AMEN to RSKY BIZ!!!!

After 35 yers and almost 2 1/2 packs a day, I gave it up- 2-21-00 and have been so much healthier since. Any one can quit once they actually decide to--a choice.

Well i bought some patches today, I've stopped for about 3 weeks a couple years ago. And the first week or two are the toughest. I know i can do this. Thanks for the support guys! But addiction is more than a choice. There are physical withdraws a person will go thru. Moodswings and insominia, to name a few.
    I've gone 6 months cold turkey, but just had "one" with my wife and am back in the same boat. I'm sick of blowing my gun money on smokes... I'm trying to get the wife on board to quit (again) and will resolve to set a date and quit without her.

Heck, you can't smoke anywhere in public around here anyway-bars, restaurants, etc...off limits. (I don't agree with that, per Lujon's post.)

Tim

I have noticed Anchroage is more expensive then the other towns.

I pay around 6.85 a pack in Anchroage and noticed they can be a little (like 20 cents) cheaper in Wasilla or Palmer.

I am trying to stop smoking again and I am on chantix... but it does help. I don't crave them nearly as much as I use too.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Turns out quiting is a highly effective way to quit.

That is great, I just mayl make that my new signature...with Lujons permission of course...

CHANTIX!!!

I cannot stress enough how wonderful this smoking cessation option is.
    I experienced almost zero withdrawl symptoms with this medication. On
    other attempts to quit I would always feel panicky and anxious and stressed out, but not with Chantix. It's truly amazing. Give it a try!
    Now when I'm out hiking and fishing, I dont feel guilty about "stinking up" the trail with my grody cig smoke.

Smoke-free 22 months and counting!
    SnagQueen

I quit in '02, after smoking for about 18 years or so, up to 2 packs a day at times. I just quit. Decided I didn't need a cigarette, so I didn't light one. Threw away 2 full packs and never lit another. Just don't light the first one of the day. Probably helped that I quit drinkin' in '94...doubt I'da had much success quitting smoking if I was still drinking.

I order off a Res in the lower 48. Its legal if you don't smoke the name brand stuff.Its also OK to order pipe and chewinng tabaco. Its still spendy but I smoke the little cigars and they run about $2.50 a pack.Only Class A smokes are illigal to mail.

Default Great Alaska Outdoors Directory Forum Smoke-Out!?!

First of all - goingwest, I apologize for the hijack...
    It is with the best of intentions, however.

I mentioned to a friend that I might be 'stirring the pot' by posting my previous post, but it is something I do believe in.
    Perhaps I should explain a bit.

First, an EXCELLENT READ on the topic, written by Jeffrey Schaler, PhD, is titled, 'Addiction is a Choice':

Here is a review, quoted from the link:

From Kirkus Reviews
    paper 0-8126-9404-X The pendulum has begun its swing backcould it be that drug and alcohol addictions are not diseases after all, but bad personal choices? Can addiction be overcome by mustering the strength of character to turn away from such choices? Psychologist Schaler (Justice, Law, and Society/American Univ.; Smoking, Who Has the Right?, not reviewed) argues convincingly that society has erred in giving in completely to the AA vision that addiction is a disease, that addicts can't help themselves, and that they need a higher power to be saved. Addiction (which at one time meant only devotion or dedication) has come to mean ``any activity which individuals engage in, deliberately and consciously, and are physically unable to stop themselves from pursuing. Rejecting such a definition out of hand, Schaler maintains that ``people are responsible for their deliberate and conscious behavior. He is sympathetic for those struggling with addiction; he doesn't oversimplify his own or his opponents arguments; and he readily acknowledges his philosophical forefathers (Thomas Szasz, for one, from the last time the pendulum was at this end of its arc). His reading of the results of research into addictionthat it fails to support the disease modelis convincing. And his resulting suggestions for changes in public policy and for individual change demand consideration. If not a new model for viewing addiction, at least a provocative update of an old one. -- Copyright 2000, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

'ADDICTION IS A CHOICE' BOOK LINK

As stated above, and a bit more eloquently, perhaps, I reflect on the Alcohol Anonymous (AA) model for a moment. And let me preface this with the proper credit, that I am fully aware that AA has helped and saved a multitude of people and facilitated getting them back on track.

THAT SAID, the AA model is based on the premises that:
    1) You are helpless;
    2) You have an 'incurable disease' and
    3) Your very survival is dependent on a 'higher power'

I will not getting into a 'religious' discussion here; that is not my point.

However, reading those three premises... how the heck would you feel?
    Like 'grabbing the bull by the horns' and dealing with the situation?
    Probably not, at least not enthusiastically.

I firmly believe that THE AA MODEL IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!

Schaler, and others, believe it is a 'strong willed' soul who always makes sure to have a 'pack of smokes', a 'case of beer', or a 'next fix' of whatever (you fill in the blank)... AND THAT VERY SAME STRONG WILL CAN REVERSE THE PROCESS, once the person DECIDES to do so.

No rehab, therapist, pill, patch or guardian angel can totally do it for you.

Now, if you have read this far, I am impressed!
    And I offer an approach for anyone reading (and whomever you know) to join in and stop whatever 'conscious behavior' (avoiding the word 'addiction' ) you might choose.

Is there any interest in a 'GROUP 'GIVE UP THE (let's use) SMOKES'
    with the support of fellow forum members?

We can empower each other, if we choose!

I am not above the bar here. I had started smoking (yes, a doctor and all) over a year ago. I am not proud, but I am responsible for my actions. I stopped smoking cigarettes on September 28th, 2008, in Anchorage. (The date is significant, and I think that is a help, btw)...

The few days before, I was fishing and met up with some great families, and I was 'smoking to finish my pack because I was giving it up on the 28th' and we had some 'ceremonial stogies' around the campfire.

A month later I was in Vegas for a re-certification exam, and bought some small stogies.
    I still smoke them, but I want to quit.
    I had a coughing episode after a run on the treadmill last week.
    My time is now!

I think I'll post a new thread and see if perhaps we can initiate the

GREAT ALASKA OUTDOORS DIRECTORY FORUM SMOKE-OUT!

Think of the extra 'fun chips' for fishing, hunting or whatever, this season.
    (Somehow that is more seducing than reflecting on our health - go figure!)

I'm IN!
    Anyone Else?
    Doc

HA i'll go for that doc, thanks for the insight.
    Find Yourself.

Smokes in Alaska are free...once you quit!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Smile Lost a lung

Quick note on motivation. A very close friends father was diagnosed with lung cancer in Nov of '02. A retired navy man who smoked 2 packs a day for who knows how long. The doc removed one of his lungs. He says that quitting smoking was one of the easiest things he has ever done. I'm a non-smoker but maybe a wife, 2 daughters , son and 3 grandchildren he wanted to see grow up were the things that altered his priorities. I guess when push comes to shove some habits can be cured by willpower alone. Now he walks his yellow lab along the beach and says the sunsets are prettier than they have ever been.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    goingwest-

and, as with Chantix, in particular - it is not without potentially detrimental side effects.

Best,
    Doc

I am one that can not take the chantix. part way through week two it made me violently Ill. for about 3 hours after each pill..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Money was my big motivator (besides being short of breath everytime I took a walk in the desert). April of 1976 in Ridgecrest, California; Cigarette machine went to .55 a pack and I said no way. Haven't had one since. Though there is hardly a day goes by that I don't think about it, but I know I can't have "just one".

Good luck, you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Money was my big motivator... but I know I can't have "just one".

Good luck, you can do it.
    This is by far the most relevant thread to my life I have read (anywhere) in a very long time.

Thank you all for the sucess storys,
    Future Quitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast