Thread: gps etec info for small boat?

Default gps etec info for small boat?

I am interested in getting a GPS / sounder that will also display information from a new 115 HP Evinrude ETEC. the boat will be a 17 foot sport offshore and used in the waters around Juneau.
    I have had larger boats and just used depth sounders but electronics have improved so much in the past few years I though I would look into getting one. since it is a soft top I am a little concerned about spray getting in around the seams.
    I know almost nothing about these units so am open to any help>

Quote Originally Posted by akshadow View Post
    I am interested in getting a GPS / sounder that will also display information from a new 115 HP Evinrude ETEC. the boat will be a 17 foot sport offshore and used in the waters around Juneau.
    I have had larger boats and just used depth sounders but electronics have improved so much in the past few years I though I would look into getting one. since it is a soft top I am a little concerned about spray getting in around the seams.
    I know almost nothing about these units so am open to any help>
    I use a Lowrance LCX 28HD hooked to my Suzi engine. It works great and gives me all the info I could want including fuel burn rate from the engine. It uses the burn rate to calculate MPG using the GPS info. It also gives fuel remaining, fuel used for trip, for season, as well as other stuff I am not remembering off hand. I have seen that they also offer the engine harness for ETEC's as well. YMMV

I too just got a new E Tec 175, and am looking to do the same thing. I had the I-Command system installed (part of Evinrude 100 year anniv promotion), and it looks like it will provide a truckload of info. Note that I-Command gauge clusters are OEM'd by Lowrance, so I'd think Lowrance sounder would have the most info to pass along; however, it's using NMEA 2000 protocol, so if you find another brand of sounder, much (but maybe not all???) info should be available for display.

I've been a Garmin handheld GPS guy for many years, and in recently researching their sounder/fishfinder lines, seems like they are a bit behind the curve on the NMEA 2000 stuff. Looked at some Lowrance sounders at the local SW and they seemed decent, but haven't used their stuff so dunno on quality, ease of use, etc.

I did find this great forum for E-tec owners:

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/mb/barnaclebill

Lots of good info on there - you might want to cross post and see what you get back.

I'm freaking out a bit on not being able to get out on the water for several months and try it all out. From what I've heard with local E-Tec owners is that they absolutely love them - and all the info they provide. If you look at Evinrude's site they even have a simulator that you can pick thru to see what kind of engine info the I-Command system will display.

When did you buy your E-Tec?

akshadow - seems like 90% of the local Juneau boaters use the $600 ish Lowrance chartmapping GPS/depth sounder from Western Auto or Cabelas. I have one in my open skiff and haven't had any problems. The only advice I'd give is to remove it from the boat in the winter and store it inside. Their waterproofing is pretty good for spray and rain.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    When did you buy your E-Tec?
    Just ordered the 17 foot wooldridge sport offshore equipped with the 115 ETEC. Since it is a new boat and motor the guage promotion was not one of the incentives so I opted to just get the evinrude analog tach and idiot lights with the engine with the plan to get an integrated GPS and depth sounder after delivery. Boat should be in Juneau around the end of April, If much earlier I will be chomping at the bit to get back earlier and out on the water.

Thanks for info