Thread: Whittier Tunnel Regulations?

Default Whittier Tunnel Regulations?

I was looking at the regulations and it says you're only allowed to be 10' wide and 14' high. Are these the current regulations? thanks

It seems like I've seen a lot of 10'6" beam boats end up through there.

Special Operations

Larger vehicles will be allowed to use the tunnel during special openings scheduled three to four times a week. The hours of special operations will be updated periodically and will be shown on the Schedule page of this web site. These hours will change seasonally to best serve the requirements of the traveling public. According to the regulations, the following are the dimensions of vehicles allowed to use the tunnel during special operations:

Greater than 10.0 feet and not to exceed 11.0 feet wide (excluding mirrors)
    Greater than 14.0 feet and not to exceed 15.0 feet high
    Maximum of 75.0 feet long

This answers my question, I think

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    It seems like I've seen a lot of 10'6" beam boats end up through there.
    I've noticed that a lot of fishermen are liars, and a lot of liars are fishermen. Not naming any names, but I know several people with boats like your's and when they get to where they pay they say 10' and go right through.

With the move to 10'6" for the wide load limit this spring in AK, I assume that at some point the tunnel will change as well.

Jim

thanks fro the info

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of fishermen are liars, and a lot of liars are fishermen. Not naming any names, but I know several people with boats like your's and when they get to where they pay they say 10' and go right through.

With the move to 10'6" for the wide load limit this spring in AK, I assume that at some point the tunnel will change as well.

Jim
    Don't forget you need to keep a hard copy of your over-size permit from DOT with you. The tunnel crew will look at it. They base your price of the dimensions stated on the permit.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I was looking at the regulations and it says you're only allowed to be 10' wide and 14' high. Are these the current regulations? thanks
    I spoke with the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel Facility Manager this last summer concerning the tolls and regulations. He indicated that a price change might occur this spring for trailers over 10 feet in width but not over 10 feet 6 inches. The current toll fee schedule says that over 10 feet, but under 11 feet in width, and over 14 feet high (Class E) would demand a $300 fee. That is prohibitive for a lot of us to transport a larger boat and trailer to Whittier. I have also heard from some Whittier residents that the cost is only $95, but I have not confirmed that.

And yes, you do need to show your over-size permit to the tunnel crew and they can measure your load if they want to. I have a call in to the Tunnel Manager to get updated information.