Thread: Dednutz/DNZ scope mounts

Default Dednutz/DNZ scope mounts

I may be interested in purchasing the DNZ scope mounts for a .338 model 70. I'm interested in some firsthand info from anyone that has used them. Thanks

I used a Dednutz 1-pc mount on a Model 7 a while back. It was a nice mount and worked well. That being said, I like the Talley LW's. They are also simple, strong and light.......for 1/2 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I used a Dednutz 1-pc mount on a Model 7 a while back. It was a nice mount and worked well. That being said, I like the Talley LW's. They are also simple, strong and light.......for 1/2 the price.
    i cut my teeth on redfield and leupold mounts & rings, as they are strong and adjustable. that combination makes it easy to "settle" the scope for a stressless (?) mount. the benefits of that process include a positive return to 0, and a free adjustment.

BUT i also like the lightweight talley mount/ring combo. as you can see , this makes an excellent set-up for a light weight "mountain
    rifle".

the trick here is to not ruin it with a goofy oversize scope! i prefer a fixed 4X, but like the 1.5X-5X and 2X-7X as well.

happy trails.
    jh

Here are some photos and some more information I posted (on another site) about the DNZ mount. I didn't have a set of Talleys for a Model 7, for a direct comparison, so I used a set of Talley LW "lows" for a Model 700 to get my numbers. I think they're close enough for a decent comparison.

The numbers:
    The Talley's 2-pc rings weigh 2.2 oz, total; the Dednutz 1-pc unit weighs 2.8 oz.

The 'low" Talley's measure .400" high on the front mount; the Dednutz "extra low" unit is .050" shorter. I was actually hoping for shorter still.

As for the rings themselves, the Tally's are .640" wide, versus the Dednutz at .625". The Tally rings are .100" thick at the thinnest portion (at the top), and the DNZ's are .240" thick - they're stout!

Both mounting system use four screws fix it to the rifle. Two in front, two in back.

The photos:

Side-by-side angle view:

On the rifle, with the top rings off to show the length of the screws:

Mounted on the rifle:

Clearance to the action:

The fit and finish on the DNZ mount is very good, better than the Talleys, IMO. The DNZ mount only uses two screws to attach the top half of the scope ring. I found this a bit odd, but they're beefy screws and they're a lot longer than standard ring screws. The Talley mounts use four screws to attach the top of the ring.

I've since sold this rifle, before I had the chance to hunt with it. I don't see why the DNZ mount wouldn't work and hold up well, though. The DNZ seems like a very high-quality mount.

Personally, I stock up on the Talley mounts when Midway puts them on sale for $30. For the money, they are a tough mount to beat. I have replaced ALL of my Leupold windage-adjustable bases and rings with the Talley LW's.

Default DNZ feedback

I put DNZ mounts on my mod 7 - 308 used it all this last fall in SE for deer hunting. They took all I could give them. from crawling up and down the mountains to getting beatup in a skiff. Never had one problem - I like'em! I also like the fact that they guarantee alignment from the factory making the mounting and sighting process a little less work.

Stryder

I have a few pairs of the dead nutz mounts on rifles. Good stuff! I still prefer Tally Lwts though.

I have been looking at both the Talley's and the Dednutz to put on my Rem 280TI. It sounds that some have had to lap the rings on the Tally's for proper scope fit. To wear the Dednutz mount didn't require any lapping. Have any of you had to lap the tally's for a better fit? And why do favor the tally's is it the (weight??)

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    I have been looking at both the Talley's and the Dednutz to put on my Rem 280TI. It sounds that some have had to lap the rings on the Tally's for proper scope fit. To wear the Dednutz mount didn't require any lapping. Have any of you had to lap the tally's for a better fit? And why do favor the tally's is it the (weight??)
    I probably have 10 rifles wearing Tally lwts and I haven't had to lap any of them.

If you are smart at the order you tighten down the screws, you'll be fine.

I have spent many hundreds of dollars on Tally rings and bases, I've yet to see the need for any lapping. But suit your self.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I haven't had the need for light mounts until now, I've always used leupold's rings. Tally's sound like the best choice, I was considering DNZ mounts because they were a little beefier, the little weight difference doesn't matter to me.

Sorry to jack the thread.