Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Tourist Requesting Information On Alaskan Handguns

Smile English Tourist Requesting Information On Alaskan Handguns

Hello Alaskans my name is John Wolf, I am interested in coming to Alaska and one of the things I'd really like to do is get hold of handgun model of my choice if possible. Then shoot at some targets in the mountain's or icey wasteland floor if possible.

There are several other things I'd really like to do in Alaska such as Camcorder wildlife, Wolves if there are some, watch Huskies with Sleds, Tape The Enviroment, watch TV and Pay Per Movies in the Local Hotel.

I am hopeing one of you American Alaskan's can provide myself with some usefull information about which area I would most likely be able to find someone who might say let me rent or borrow live handgun for several days. I am looking for City with popluation of 5000-15,000 people, since I am used to wandering around city's with population's of not much more than 10,000 people in. I have checked Anchorage out as that has 200,000 people and thus making it rather easy to get lost. I would like to hear from you guys about this soon as possible.

Default Some questions for you

Quote Originally Posted by John Wolf View Post
    Hello Alaskans my name is John Wolf, I am interested in coming to Alaska and one of the things I'd really like to do is get hold of handgun model of my choice if possible. Then shoot at some targets in the mountain's or icey wasteland floor if possible.

There are several other things I'd really like to do in Alaska such as Camcorder wildlife, Wolves if there are some, watch Huskies with Sleds, Tape The Enviroment, watch TV and Pay Per Movies in the Local Hotel.

I am hopeing one of you American Alaskan's can provide myself with some usefull information about which area I would most likely be able to find someone who might say let me rent or borrow live handgun for several days. I am looking for City with popluation of 5000-15,000 people, since I am used to wandering around city's with population's of not much more than 10,000 people in. I have checked Anchorage out as that has 200,000 people and thus making it rather easy to get lost. I would like to hear from you guys about this soon as possible.
    Welcome to Alaska.

When were you planning to come and how long will be your stay?

I would suggest contacting www.milepost.com and getting a copy of their signature publication "The Milepost" It is subtitled "Alaska Travel Planner" and it gives mile by mile descriptions of every major road in Alaska, attractions and highlights.

I also suggest going to these State of Alaska Websites.
    http://www.state.ak.us/
    http://www.state.ak.us/local/visitorHome.html
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

I don't know of any place to rent a firearm. How experienced are you with firearms? If all you wanted to do was to send a few rounds downrange at some targets, you might find someone to volunteer to take you as a guest to one of our local ranges.

Target shooting out in the bush is legal, but there are restrictions, and I have quit going out to the mud flats or woods as unsafe. Too many people live or hike out where they could be endangered by my ricochets or overshots. An established range is more convenient.

Carrying some king of bear protection is advisable if you are in the deep woods, but it is realy only necessary at certain times and locations. Of the things you should take with you, knowledge of bear behaviour is your most effective defensive tool.

Wildlife sightings are most likely in the National Parks, particularly Denali Park. On one bus trip, my parents and I saw Grizzly Bear, Fox, Mountain Goat, Dall Sheep, basically everything except Wolf, though sighting Wolves on that trip is not uncommon.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep

Talking I will help if I can.

I would be happy to take you shooting most any time, but I don't think you will be able to rent or buy a handgun. I long gun has more open restrictions but I don't know any place to rent one in Alaska.

Anchorage is not a place that’s hard to get around in, it was built around the car unlike English towns that were built for the horse and carriage. It is mostly set up in a grid with numbered roads running one way and named roads in the other, we do drive on the correct side of the road here, the right side. You will find good hotels in Anchorage and Fairbanks, but in other places you may want to look at the bed and breakfast type inns for good accommodations. There are exceptions in some small towns like the Valley Hotel here in Palmer Alaska is not a bad place to get a room.

What time of year do you plan to come?

Denali Park is a good bet for 90% of what you have on your list, but no shooting in the parks. Princess Lodge is at the park entrance and I have heard it’s a good hotel, but I have never stayed there. It is run by the Princess cruise ship people so it should be descent place to stay, but I’m sure you know Princess Lines is not on a par with the White Star Lines.

Like I said I am happy to let you shoot my guns, go camera or gun hunting, or go fishing with you so long as the timing works out. Just let me know, I enjoy giving people a chance to do things their home governments don’t allow them to do.

Andy Fields

Thanks for the reply's guy's, my parents had convinced myself out of traveling to Anchorage as the 260,000 population and support/business buildings/structures could soon get me lost around the city.

I am looking to come sometime next year around mabye march for two weeks and Fairbanks does look like my chosen winner. I did think about going to Kodiak island perhaps in time for the buck/antler season, mabye link up with some guys for shooting. Though the only flight to Kodiak is on business option for £2000 which is really way too far out of my price range for plane costs. There seems to be few flights from Manchester or London that go anywhere in Alaska except Anchorage all year round. Then with that destination it's only £570.

I could per chance book flight to Anchorage and from there catch skyboat to Kodiak Island, though I need to procure the money from my parents to afford this holiday and they will refuse if everything is not kept simple, pre paid for online, cheapest and one plane journey based.

If you come to Anchorage, I will take you to the range and provide firearms. You provide the ammuniton and range fees. Ranges fee for the day is $10.00 US.

There are commuter flights to Kodiak from Anchorage, as well as many other towns and cities. We tend to use aircraft in much the same way Europeans use trains.

Since our State is 1/3 the size of the remaining United States, it will take some time to properly explore. For instance, I live on the southern Kenai Peninsula at the end of the highway. On many maps the size of this peninsula appears relativley small compared to the remainder of Alaska, HOWEVER it is really the size of Ireland.

one of you American Alaskan's
    That is somewhat akin to calling a Scot Highlander an Englishman...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My deepest apologies Float Pilot, I suppose I should have realised that now main America is democrat, you Alaskans with your Republican support, Constitutional Gun Freedoms and Self Independancy want nothing to do with that new democrat Goverment.

Actually it is more of a cultural thing, however since the seat of Federal power is 2,845 nautical miles (nearly 5,000 KM) away from central Alaska, we tend to dance to our own piper regardless of who occupies the White House.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

John,

I go to Cambridge UK every year on business, and I figure you have probably been there at least once in your life, so I will give you a quick comparison between Anchorage and Cambridge as a sort of jovial quick reference aid…

Parking:
    Cambridge-Ha! Is there any?
    Anchorage- More than you can shake a stick at… literally. Each spot can hold three Smart cars!

Fruit stands and vendor carts:
    Cambridge- common, inexpensive, quality food.
    Anchorage- never seen one EVER…

Crime:
    Cambridge- I never felt “un-safe” ever at any time, day or night, drunk or sober
    Anchorage- There are places here were you should not be alone at night… much less DRUNK and alone.

Police;
    Cambridge- never seen a cop? Don’t know why?
    Anchorage- we got lots!

Animals that can stomp you to death:
    Cambridge- I saw some birds but that was about it…
    Anchorage- Do not try to pet or ride the moose!

Beautiful college girls:
    Cambridge- like no other place on earth!
    Anchorage- Not so much…

Fat guys packing guns:
    Cambridge- Ha! Alangaq make a funny!
    Anchorage- Don’t you know it brother!

Friendly folks that will help you out:
    Cambridge- yep
    Anchorage- yep, yep and then some!

Come on over, forget about Fairbanks and stay in Anchorage. Plenty to see and do. Its safe and fun.

And bring me a “bacon buddy” from one of those food vendors! Oh momma!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Really, you cannot get lost in Anchorage, honest. Come visit.

Well it is a big state. If I where you I would hit fly to Anchorage and then drive to Fairbanks when you want a change. I have never been down on the Kenai peninsula but hear it is nice. After Fairbanks I would Fly to Juneau and take the ferry through Southeast Alaska to Bellingham, Washington. The ferry makes many stops on the way and you could plan to spend several days in some of them. From Bellingham drive to Seattle and then fly out from from there. This would let you see a lot of the state. Anchorage, Kenai, Fairbanks, and Southeast areas are each different and interesting in there own ways.

I do not know where I will be next spring but would be happy to show you around.

When your plans are more fixed less us know as I am sure others would be happy to meet you and show you there areas of the state.

Default Hard to get lost? Depends on your talent for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Really, you cannot get lost in Anchorage, honest. Come visit.
    Lost? I can get lost anywhere. Look at my signature. I did not get that name for nothing.

The streets in Anchorage are laid out in a North-South/East-West grid and to get out of town there are only two roads, one North (Glen Highway) and one south (Seward Highway). However, there are a number of roads that wander on odd directions, some that are discontinuous and others that change names halfway through town.

We do have maps, though. Hard to get lost with a map. Chugach Mountains are are north/east of town and can be seen from everywhere in town.

Lost Sheep

Remember that our spring is late May. I just had a lad from a warmer climate try to schedule float-plane lessons for next month. I had to explain that the lakes are still 3 to 4 feet of ice until late May in many areas. Even early June in the mountains.

Default UK

Cambridge is a nice town but it does have its seedy areas and 'locals only' pubs. It is high on the list for quality places in the UK to visit. But Alangaq, as an American who has lived in the UK for years (only 3 more weeks and I am moving back stateside...the guns are restless in the safe!!!!!!!!), do you generally go to the vendors sober or drunk? Because anything from those vendors tastes awesome at about 1 or 2am wandering through the town center after too many pints or a bottle of single malt!!! I've eaten their cuisine dozens of times but only ever after nights "on the piss".

Back to you John Wolf. I'm not an Alaskan, only someone who dreams of living there someday. And while I don't want to fill this thread with worthless secondhand advise, I do want to encourage you to get to Alaska at all costs.

You probably have a bit of a wild, independent spirit not all too cohesive with the modern British culture. Several of my good friends either have visited Alaska multiple times or lived there, and there is no doubt in my mind from their stories and pictures that it will be an experience of a lifetime.

You have definitely stopped off at the right place to establish local connections who can give you an off-the-beaten path, non-tourist experience. Go for it mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    John,

Beautiful college girls:
    Cambridge- like no other place on earth!
    Anchorage- Not so much…

Idn't that the understatement of the century....UAA makes a guy wanna go south big time

Of course, then summer comes, the fish run, and at that point who gives a crap about girls ?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Idn't that the understatement of the century....UAA makes a guy wanna go south big time

Of course, then summer comes, the fish run, and at that point who gives a crap about girls ?

Jon
    For me, the pretty girls are no big thing... lets just say that I have caught my limit and only have eyes for my special girl that was crazy enough to mary a nut like me! But for a single lad from the UK, the quantity and quality of the girls could very well effect his desision making on what destination to choose!

But dont take this all too serious now sonny boy... they aint ALL tire biters!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Cool

Thanks for the reply guy's, I am now very sure it will be in march next year 2010. I thank you people for the advice on the local wilderness, the info on wolves and I think now the most sensible action if you come upon bear and your unarmed in order to repel is try to beat it with large stick of wood.

Hello I am back for some information Alaskan's, what are the legal conditions and restrictions on taking handgun's out into the Alaskan wilderness/forest. ?

If this idea was do able, also where would I be able to get hold of one from then. Taking into account that I am tourist visiting for two weeks.

Whooo there little fella. It can be done….. but you would be far better served with a can of bear spray than any kind of firearm.

I don’t want to come off as a condescending *******, but if you are not an experienced shooter you simply wont have the time to gain the necessary experience here in AK before you hit the trails… More likely, is that you have NO firearm experience what so ever. In that case, you would not only be a danger to yourself, but to every person whom was unfortunate enough to cross your path. Now if you want to head to the range to shoot for the sake of shooting, then great! We can make that happen. But for protection, you will be better served with some bear spray.

I will be in Cambridge the end of this month, and I know it is a fair distance from your place, but if you want to hook up for a visit, just send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

Default Englishmen in Alaska

If you happen to stop by Kodiak Island for a while, take the ferry to Port Lions for a day and I'll take you out shooting. 450 Alaskan, .375 H&H, .338 Win .460 Smith & Wesson Mag, .44 mag, .357 mag, .22 rim fire - pretty much in that order.
    I guess the ferry schedule would leave you here for 3 days. Or you could catch a flight over any week day or Saturday. The flight would only cost $90 or so round trip.
    You pay for the ammo but will include one of my wife's great meals.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast