Thread: Setting Up A Target For my 9 Years Old?

Default Setting Up A Target For my 9 Years Old?

Hi guys,

I bought my son a PSE recurve bow for Christmas and am trying to help him with his shooting. I know nothing about shooting a bow but I bought a book (Beg. Guide to Tradtional Archery Shooting by Brians Sorrells) and think I know how to get him started. This book doesn't say much about setting up a target so I bought a cube style target but am wondering if there's some kind of back stop I could put up behind the cube to keep him from losing his arrows. I live out in the woods and there's lots of snow on the ground and I know that he's going to lose them, unless I can come up with something to help. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks.

Dave
    Soldotna, AK

If you can get burlap bag this could be used for a back stop. i assume your kids bow won't be launch the arrows at mach speed. So burlap should work. Or better yet carpet will work great..

As for targets for kids. Keep it fun at first.
    what I have done it the past is put ballons or you can find cartoon paper targets. I got Barny( cause I can't stand him). My kid loved shooting at barny. Also loved when an arrow hit a ballon. This will keep them interested in shooting while they are young. Also I started at 5 yards, then 10.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You could pick up some used carpet and hang a couple of layers of if behind you target. The nylon or burlap feed bags stuffed with shrink wrap or some other kind of plastic make an good cheap target.

Default Carpet.......

Great idea w/ the carpet. I'll get an old chunk of it somewhere and hanfg it up behind the cube. The should save me a bit of $ and hassle until he gets better with his aim. Thanks guys.

Dave

Dave, the local archery club has an indoor shooting & teaching time in Kenai for kids on Saturday mornings. If you are interested email me & I'll try & get you hooked up.

vwonser@alaska.net
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I'm interested!

I didn't even know there was a club in our area! Please give me the details. Thanks.

Dave

Good ole fashioned hay bales are the best/cheapest backing around. Targets can be made for nothing from recycled plastic stuffed into burlap bags. Vance however has the best idea for insuring your sons success as a archer, education and other archers! You might find yourself wanting to pick up a stick as well, best past time in the world especially if you can share it with your little guy.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I went to Alaska Mill and Feed in Post Road Area and got the largest burlap feed bag they had. Its 48X72 I think. Then I went to a warehouse and got all their garbage shrink wrap and plastic bags and filled the bag. It stops anything, and cost me about 10 bucks and a little time. You can lean it on a bale of hay or make a hanging frame with 2x4's and a few large tie wraps. My kid shoots the hell out of it and I do also.

Mark

I emailed Dave the club info a couple of days ago..
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

the burlap bag deal rocks....fill it full of used shrinkwrap. Go to a packaging warehouse or somewhere that sends/receives pallets full of stuff, usually they are wrapped in shrinkwrap to keep things from moving/falling in transit.

Simple, cheap, and extremely EASY arrow removal, something the carpet is not atleast at first.

Growing up we also used hay bales, I know kind of a commodity up here though not impossible to find. We added a rubber mat behind it 6"es or so to keep from blowing through hung on it's own frame....worked, wasnt the best, but it did the job, would work well with steel blunts for tips instead of the pointed tips we used back then. If you're really wild you could band up those bales and do the same thing, they'll last longer and wont blow up when ya hit the twine.

Or for 70 bucks you could just buy a foam imitation block bale...works well and is the easiest way.

Unhappy Straw bales....

Unreal how the cost of straw bales has gone nuts down here in Wa.The big demand for erosion control straw has pushed our bales to 8 bucks each.GR

Found bales in Palmer for $4 ea. It is old and has lost the nutritional value so yay for archers.

Palmer side, turn down the road at Spenards Building, go to the end where you go to the golf course or turn right. Turn right and the first farm on the left is where you want to be.

George

Default Archery Club

Where in Kenai, my son used to shoot Saturday mornings over off K-Beach when it was Johns Bow Shop, but I didn't know there was another now? Any details would be appreciated I have a 10 yr old girl interested also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Dave, the local archery club has an indoor shooting & teaching time in Kenai for kids on Saturday mornings. If you are interested email me & I'll try & get you hooked up.

vwonser@alaska.net

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne