Thread: nosler Accubond

Default nosler Accubond

Hi, I just got a goat permit, I am thinking of using my 388 and loading with Nosler Accubond bullets, I have no experience with these bullets and how they work on tough animals. Anyone have any insight or experience with these bullets.

I've had good accuracy in my .375 with 260gr Accubonds, haven't shot anything yet. There long and pointy so max COL to load in your magazine is as long as you can go.

My brother shot a Dall Sheep last year with 200gr Accubonds in a .338 700 Remington that was loaded with 73.1gr of RL-19. It went 2900fps and grouped right at an inch. COL was set at 3.362" for his rifle.

Thanks, I had a guy at the range yesterday tell me about this bullet, he said he liked them but hadn't shot anything either, I guess this is a fairly new bullet, I know nosler makes a good bullet so this should be no exception. congradulations on your brother getting a sheep. I hope he shared some with you. I don't think there is a better tasting animal around.

I have had great accuracy with them (for a hunting bullet) five shots in less than an inch out of a Blaser.

But no idea how they perform on game

Quote Originally Posted by akbone View Post
    Thanks, I had a guy at the range yesterday tell me about this bullet, he said he liked them but hadn't shot anything either, I guess this is a fairly new bullet, I know nosler makes a good bullet so this should be no exception. congradulations on your brother getting a sheep. I hope he shared some with you. I don't think there is a better tasting animal around.
    We took some Dall Sheep stew on our moose hunt. It was the best stew I ever ate. It was the first sheep I ever had and I must admit I want more.

I'm thinking that you have a .338 and .388 was a typo, am I wrong. I wasn't aware of a .388 in an Accubond bullet, perhaps they have made one recently?

Anyway, if it is a .338 the load I mentioned is working well.

I have shot stuff with the accubond and like them lots. They penetrate well and expand as advertized. For brown bear, use partitions though. J.

I'm bad, it is a .338 pre 64 vintage

We've been using them for a few years now. They perform great. Moose, bear, and caribou.

Default nosler accubond

I am admittedly not an expert when it comes to bullet specifications at the range. However, I have had some recent field experience with this bullet (2008 season).
    I shot a 2-3 yr old bull moose broadside at 125 yards with a 200 gr accubond from a .325WSM. The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder with a silver dollar size exit wound. The bullet did NOT hit the shoulder bone, but did exactly what was needed to the rib cage and vitals with a clean pass through. The moose went less than 10 yards and, of course, collapsed in a thigh-high stream.
    On the same hunt I also shot an 8' 3" (no stretching) brown bear boar. He was slightly quartered to me at 100 yards. The accubond entered at the front crease of the right shoulder, broke down his front right shoulder, passed through the vitals, and exited behind the left shoulder. The bullet went through hide, shoulder bone, vitals and came to rest between the rib cage and hide on the off side. It did NOT pass through hide on the opposite side, but did again punch a silver dollar size exit wound in the rib cage. I recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet in the hide. I thought that was a bit amazing. This also was a one-shot kill, and the bear went about 20 yards before laying down to die in the alders.
    The accubond performed quite well in both cases, and I plan to use the bullet this year on black bear and caribou hunts. I feel confident with this bullet for nearly all Alaskan game. However, a good argument can be made for larger caliber, more grain, and different bullet for the largest of the brown bears and shoulder shot moose. Just one man's experience.

Default They work for me...

I would not hesitate one moment in using my 325wsm with Accubonds for a goat hunt. 225 AB's in that 338 would be great Goat medicine I would think. That is if your guns shoots them accurately. 200gr AB's in my 325 chrony at 2940 mv and shoot sub moa. I killed a Dall sheep at about 400yds, busted up a leg and shoulder before exiting. My buddy lungshot his ram at about 200yds, busted a rib going in and out. Made mush of the in between. I shot a Bull Moose at 315 ranged yds. Busted him in the hump, shattered his spine and recovered the bullet. It weighs 140gr. Retained 70% of it's weight which is exactly what Nosler claims they do. Here's the pic. Good luck on your hunt!

Thumbs up 210 Noser Partition..........

The 210 grain Nosler Partition is legendary in the .338 Win. Mag. Always has been and always will be. It is a hard hitting, deep penetrating bullet that expands very well at long range. It is a excellent choice in the .338 for any North American grass muncher. I have a hard time beliving the Accubond is "better".