Thread: Was this a trophy red ?

Default Was this a trophy red ?

I need a little info on a red I caught last summer. It was in the Kenai and was just a fraction under 30 inches in length. We didn't have a scale with us but it looked much larger than the rest of the reds we saw and caught. Any ideas of what this fish might have weighed and was it anything I should have thought about mounting. I have a 78lb king from 1993 on the wall and he looks lonely. Did I blow it? I'll be back next year anyway and the run should be much larger. Thanks guys and I'll see you on the river.

Biggest Red I've seen was about 12 pounds and handled over 17,000 reds
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

My old man got one that tipped the scales at just over 13lbs in 03. 2nd run kenai red down at bings. Biggest red i have seen caught in 26years. freaking hog. I got a pic of it on disc somewhere. Ill find it and post it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

You didn't blow it.

Have a reproduction made of your fish. Graphite/fiberglass reproductions are much better than a skin mount.

Default Biggest Red I've Ever Caught

This is biggest I've ever caught, that includes hundreds caught dipnetting. Had to be atleast 12.....Of course, the picture doesn't do it justice.

Fish On!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

This is the red that I caught last year that is being worked on right now to go on my wall. He was just about 32". If your Kenai red looks like this one, then definately put it up next to your Chinook.

Disregard the fact athat my fly was down....

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post

Disregard the fact athat my fly was down....
    I assume you were "trolling".
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Cool

yea i worked on a setnet site south of the kenai mouth, we got alot of those BIG FAT reds.....some we got weighed at the market separately topped 16lbs! remember the state record is over 16lbs, which came from the kenai river. ive caught some big ones on the kenai myself though, they are always fun to hook into at places like bings....

A friend in middle school caught what would have been the world record red. His name was Caleb, and his red was still the record weight after gutting it (which his dad did by habit right away), but if a fish has been cut it is no longer eligible for IFGA records. We gave him a good ribbing for it when the article was printed in the paper, but still...it was one heck of a fish.

That being said, to me a "trophy" red is one that is slathered in butter, lime, tequila, and garlic on my grill, or occasionally one that is sliced thin, raw, and served over a ball of rice with some wasabi and soy sauce. Reds are trophy food, not trophies for the wall in my mind.

Brian, are you talking about Chef Stop Caleb?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...That being said, to me a "trophy" red is one that is slathered in butter, lime, tequila, and garlic on my grill, or occasionally one that is sliced thin, raw, and served over a ball of rice with some wasabi and soy sauce. Reds are trophy food, not trophies for the wall in my mind.
    Man, some fresh sockeye sounds so good right now. The only salmon we get over here in Iraq is bottom-feeder Atlantic..maybe pink. Either way, its broiled for so long that it is more of the consistancy of jerky. Nothing like yanking a Sockeye off the Klutina and immediately throwing it on the grill!!!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

14# July 2003.

Man there were a lot of BIG reds that year.

Everyone in my party got to touch at least one in the 12# class that year!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Brian, are you talking about Chef Stop Caleb?
    Nope, a different Caleb. Chef Stop Caleb and I had a few good times as well, but our target wasn't fish.

As for big reds, there were some huge ones in the Kenai this year when we were dipping. I'd bet that at least 1/3 of my 30 reds were over 10 pounds, and some were definitely over 12-13.