Thread: Lost dog tricks?

Default Lost dog tricks?

A lost dog by another member(luckily he has the beagle back) brought back memories of when I lost my German shorthair pointer once. She got on a deer track and was gone. Just wondering what others have done when they can't find one of their dogs?? In my case I took off my shirt, which was pretty sweaty from the hunt, and put it on the ground where I last saw my dog. I went and told the landowner about my lost dog and sure enough, two days later he went to the area and my dog was lying on my shirt. He called and I went to retrieve my dog and we were all happy!! Any other tricks for finding your wayward dogs?? Mark

Well, I was hoping that some of the old hands would drop some wisdom on this one. But there's not necessarily an answer to all problems.

The one thing that occurred to me, if you're actually going into the wilderness and have a dog that "might" run free, you might consider a GPS tracker. Garmin now has GPS transponder dog collars that communicate with the Rhino model GPS/FRS Radio. You can see the location of the dog on the map relative to you. Range depending on terrain, but I believe it's between 1-5 miles. Ought to be plenty. So worst case is you have to go to the dog if he won't come back to you. At least you'd know exactly where he is.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT, after reading this, a flood of uses for somthing like that came to mind. How expensive is this technology? Is it a collar?

Marco, good idea on leaving your scent behind, I'll be remembering that...

I've only given them a cursory glance in the dog hunting catalogs that I get. So I just looked it up at the Garmin website for more info. The unit is called the Astro and the entry package is listed at $600 which includes the GPS receiver and 1 dog collar transponder. Additional collars run about $200 each. It says the range is actually up to 7 miles and one receiver will track up to 10 dogs at once. And it's not a Rhino, but a similar looking case that is specific to this system. The receiver is a full featured GPSr, and just has the added capability to receive the radio signals from the tracking collars.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=209&pID=8576

It's pretty new to the market, so I'd expect the price to come down with competition... as long as the concept finds a buying market.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Wow, thats pretty pricey for now. I have the Rino GPS and thought that would've been sweet to interface with it.

Default Good old use of Pavlovian conditioning...

will stop this in a heart beat...I condition my dogs early on to come to me with lip smacks, whistles or patting of the leg...& when the come to me after I've called thier name while lip smacking, whistleing or leg patting, I give them TONS of affection & love...prior to that, I use treats, good treats too like left over fat or meats that I have...you have to make it worthwhile for them to come to you...

I've never, (knock on wood) had a dog run on me for more than an hour...& while I've been in Anchorage I used to let my dog run off the leash in a park, numerous times, (huskey at that) & he'd come to me all the time...

& I do that too with my current huskey I have now...& sure enough, he comes when I lip smack, whistle or just leg pat...