Thread: looking for new boat

Default looking for new boat

So my dad is going to be buying a new or used ocean boat in 22' to 26' is what he said. We went to the dewey's boat show and he really liked the 22' or 24' cuddy cabin. When we went to the big boat show he fell in love with the 25' coho offshore GC. The peace of paper at the show said 25' coho for 65G's with motors now I have a hard time believeing that, I thought GC were really pricey. The guy also told my dad that it would come with all of the electronics and motors and that he has 4 on the fast track to be done by spring. My question is are those boats for sale or were they built for someone else and was I seeing things or is that the true price. thanks every your help in advance
    BD

Why don't you give GC a call?
    Tennessee

Default They build an excellent boat

Their website also says that electronics, motors, and trailers come with the Coho. That is a great price...............I have always admired their boats and they even have a sub-forum on this site. I have not heard anything bad about their quality, ever.

Ed

65K with twin screws and electronics?Sign me up

Big Daddy,

I happen to currently own a Hewescraft 26' Alaskan and I really like the boat, but I have a larger GlacierCraft on order. The GC is really a nice, well-built boat. The guy your dad spoke to at the Boat Show was very likely Scott, the President and Owner of GlacierCraft. The price he quoted was for their basic boat with motors, electronics and trailer, but all the options will be an additional cost. The boats at the show were built for someone else, but they do have some larger boats for sale at a price. Give Scott a call and ask him for the details.

Default Better put a deposit...

on that boat now. From most reports, GC's are almost immortal! The people that have exerience with them never have negative things to say; can you give the same report for the other "popular" brands? Seriously, get in contact with them, visit their shop, get a list of ALL items included in that price, down to cleats, bilge pumps, trailer weight rating, etc. and other stuff easy to overlook, build/completion date after deposit, whatever else you can think of. If I were in Alaska more often and needed a serious salt boat, I don't think I'd even consider another brand considering the cost they gave you.
    Jim

Talking I was right

Well my father and I went t o GC today and taked to Scott about the price and when it could be done. The price was correct 65G's for a 25' coho off shore, and then pay for all the other stuff its still a great boat for the price. The decision that my father needs to make is when he wants it done, either buy june or 12 months from know. I think he is going to go for the 12 months thing. Anyone have any suggestions on the options that are a must to get and are not a must. Thanks for all your help.
    BD

I don't own a GC and don't have any experience with them. But I've learned two things about GC from frequenting this forum for the past few years:

1) Folks who own GC's seem to love them.

2) A lot of folks have been critical of GC's customer relations, particularly CG's record of failing to meet promised delivery dates.

So if they're telling you you'll get your boat by X date, you may want to take that with a grain of salt.

Folks who have had actual experience with GC may want to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Well my father and I went t o GC today and taked to Scott about the price and when it could be done. The price was correct 65G's for a 25' coho off shore, and then pay for all the other stuff its still a great boat for the price. The decision that my father needs to make is when he wants it done, either buy june or 12 months from know. I think he is going to go for the 12 months thing. Anyone have any suggestions on the options that are a must to get and are not a must. Thanks for all your help.
    BD
    $65K is a steal! I would assume that this is set up with two forward facing seats and two benches? A galley is nice, but would be very tight with the given space of a 25 footer. A coleman stove on the back deck will work fine. I would certainly add the espar furnace and possibly insulate the cabin and v-birth. This could be down by you guys if you are trying to keep the price down. I would also strongly recommend going with a 1KW transducer. Mine is a thru-hull and the detail I pick up is incredible. I have not even scratched the surface of what the nav/net system can do. I plan on spending a lot of time fiddling with the manual settings next season. Shore power is a nice luxury, too. If you are planning on playing out of Whittier, get a pot puller.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    I don't own a GC and don't have any experience with them. But I've learned two things about GC from frequenting this forum for the past few years:

1) Folks who own GC's seem to love them.

2) A lot of folks have been critical of GC's customer relations, particularly CG's record of failing to meet promised delivery dates.

So if they're telling you you'll get your boat by X date, you may want to take that with a grain of salt.

Folks who have had actual experience with GC may want to chime in.
    1) We love our GC! It was a huge step up from the old hewescraft in all aspects. The boat sells itself.

2)All I will say to that is "Patience" is sitting on a pad next to our garage as I type.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.