Thread: Input needed

Default Input needed

Help me out if you would - Start by saying I have never owned a 4 wheeler - Have owned plenty of snow machines, motor cycles, and other toys. Looking for a 4 wheeler to use for, plowing snow, yard work, and of course the occasional hunting although that is not top priority as I hunt mainly from a boat.

What are your thoughts on a 2007 Polaris Sportsman® 500 EFI. Very low mileage and like new condition. Comes with 3/4 HP winch, and brush gaurd. Pros / cons / Decent price?

Thanks

You are going to get all types of responses about different brands of machines. When buying used I usually look for signs of roll-overs, water in the oil, missing screws other other body mounting hardware and, of course, dents and scrapes. It is more about how hard the owner rode it or how much abuse it has seen. If the owner keeps all maintenance records on what he has done to the upkeep of the machine, that is a good sign.

When in the owners garage looking at the possible purchase, I also look around for the replaced parts of said machine laying around in the corners of the garage.
    EricL

Default Check the

condition of the skid plates.
    Mike
    (that's why I won't even try to sell mine)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

[quote=EricL;429373]When buying used I usually look for signs of roll-overs, water in the oil, missing screws other other body mounting hardware and, of course, dents and scrapes. It is more about how hard the owner rode it or how much abuse it has seen. If the owner keeps all maintenance records on what he has done to the upkeep of the machine, that is a good sign.

I second this.

Look for signs of an accident or heavy abuse and get the records as to how it has been maintaine.

If I buy a machine and can get the maintenace records, it goes a long way towards increasing my cofort level. Then I check for damage, then I pay a mechanic to do a once.

I probably worded the original question wrong - I know the machine is in new condition with less than 200 miles. I was looking for input on the machine itself and thoughts on what the going price should be.

2007 Polaris Sportsman® 500 EFI. Very low mileage and like new condition. Comes with 3/4 HP winch, and brush gaurd. Pros / cons / Decent price?

Default Should work fine..

For what you plan to use the wheeler for, a Polaris 500 efi should work just fine. I think you would be more than happy with the performance and comfort of that rig for any of the jobs you stated. As for price, NADA is between $4,800 for the standard one and $5,200 for the Deluxe model (nicer rims). Considering the time of year and the great deals out there on brand new rigs with warrantys, I'd say between $4,500 and $5,000 would be about the most I'd pay for a used 07 even with lower miles. Anything better than that constitutes a great deal and I wouldn't think twice. Heck, there's an 08 500 EFI on Craigslist with about the same amount of miles for only $5,800, so keep that in mind while looking around. This is the best time of the year to buy a 4 wheeler.

Hope this helps,
    Shannon