Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Beagle at Rabbit Slough

Default Lost Beagle at Rabbit Slough

Hi everyone. I lost my beagle at rabbit slough on saturday. If your out that way on sunday will you keep a watch for him>? Hes bluetick in color. His name is Mac.

Thanks,
    Matt
    301-8897

Hope you're successful on getting your buddy back.

Thanks, Im leaving right now to check for him again. He did this once to me before. It was alot warmer out though and it was 5 years ago. Thought he learned his lesson!

Default Lost Beagle

Sure hope you find him. did you leave a hat or article of clothing for scent? That usually works.

Well someone found him last night up by the glenn parks interchange and turned him into animal control. Got the call on my way back out to the slough. Animal control saw my ad on craigslist and called.

Yeah the last time I lost him, I left his kennel out there and a jacket. He stayed there until I picked him up the next day. I only had a peice of my clothing yesterday.

From what I can gather I think when he came back, a group of snowmachines came by and he followed them as far as he could wich was the highway before he lost track of them.

Hes used to seeing me on a snowmachine and following me on it.

Anyway, dang miracle he didnt get hit on the road. Animal control said he had traffic backed up some. Im really happy that there are still good people out there willing to stop and take the time to help a dog out.

Thumbs up

Great news Matt.

Yeah it is great news. That dog is a horrible pet. But hes got a funny personality, hes a great hunter and hes my buddy! The wife im sure is thrilled to have him back Her hatred for that dog is probably what keeps him alive in this world! Wife just cant catch a break when it comes to his demise.

Im amazed hes made it this long. Ive always told myself to be prepared for the day he doesnt come back. But I tell ya, I was in sad place at 3 in the morning out there with a flashlight this morning.

Im grateful to the people who stopped and took the time to get him to a safe place.

Its funny, I was actually videotaping him hunting yesterday. First time Ive done it. Ill edit the video and shorten it some and post it.

Glad some good folks found your pup and got him back to you. You must have had a rough night last night. About three years ago our beagles got lost in the fog and spent about a day and a half on the run. They turned up very tired at a neighbor's house. They seem to stick closer now!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well someone found him last night up by the glenn parks interchange and turned him into animal control. Got the call on my way back out to the slough. Animal control saw my ad on craigslist and called.

Yeah the last time I lost him, I left his kennel out there and a jacket. He stayed there until I picked him up the next day. I only had a peice of my clothing yesterday.

From what I can gather I think when he came back, a group of snowmachines came by and he followed them as far as he could wich was the highway before he lost track of them.

Hes used to seeing me on a snowmachine and following me on it.

Anyway, dang miracle he didnt get hit on the road. Animal control said he had traffic backed up some. Im really happy that there are still good people out there willing to stop and take the time to help a dog out.
    HAH,saw that tired beagle,3 trucks were pulled over and a tired looking snow covered beagle was plodding around the drivers side door of the last truck.Fortunately by the time I was there(2 or 3 rows back),everybody was cool about being patient.
    It was chilly willy too! He wasnt exactly perky by that time(530pm or so),
    not lecturing,but from my experience you have to anticipate a dogs behavior. You gits what you gits,and it helps to understand there personallity's strong points/limitations.

glad you scored
    ak4195

Yeah hes still draggin butt around the house. I'm suprised he wouldnt come that day. Hes getting older, and if the conditions are such that tracking is hard he'll give up a little sooner. I didnt think the running was that great personally. Guess he thought different!

Anyhow, right now Im in debate mode between e-collar to try and instill a little obedience or a tracking system.

I like the idea of training him to come, and yes with him an e-collar will be necassary. He knows how to come, he just shuts down in the obeying department when hes hunting. That would be convenient when its time to leave.

I also like the idea of the tracking, cause sometimes he can go along ways really fast. And hed be out of range of voice, or if he hasnt barked for awhile I get panicky and I like to know where he is to make sure hes not in trouble. He only barks when He is hot on the trail. Hes real honest if hes got something or not. Thats why he can sometimes go along ways without barking.

With my budget I think I can get both, a new tracking unit and a used e-collar. But I hate the idea of weighing him down with 2 collars.

I was reading this thread all choked up hoping you would find your buddy. I know the feeling of missing your pupper dog and its not a good one. I was a sad sight when I was looking for my buddy boots who took off and ended up just coming back after a few days... Crazy dogs.

Yeah hes still draggin butt around the house. I'm suprised he wouldnt come that day. Hes getting older, and if the conditions are such that tracking is hard he'll give up a little sooner. I didnt think the running was that great personally. Guess he thought different!

Anyhow, right now Im in debate mode between e-collar to try and instill a little obedience or a tracking system.

I like the idea of training him to come, and yes with him an e-collar will be necassary. He knows how to come, he just shuts down in the obeying department when hes hunting. That would be convenient when its time to leave.

I also like the idea of the tracking, cause sometimes he can go along ways really fast. And hed be out of range of voice, or if he hasnt barked for awhile I get panicky and I like to know where he is to make sure hes not in trouble. He only barks when He is hot on the trail. Hes real honest if hes got something or not. Thats why he can sometimes go along ways without barking.

With my budget I think I can get both, a new tracking unit and a used e-collar. But I hate the idea of weighing him down with 2 collars.
    Wait a minute!!

We're talking about a beagle here, and they view us humans mostly as distractions from their real business in life. We raised them for many years, and still miss them even as our lifestyle precludes starting over.

Here's a stunt we learned from other dog handlers, and darned if it didn't work every single time we needed to leave before the dogs agreed to join us: Always carry a baggy of dry dogfood in your pocket. If you have to leave, lay your hunting coat on the ground with the open baggy of dogfood on it. Usually that evening, or sometimes the following morning, the dog will be there waiting when you return. And wondering where the heck you have been, and what took you so long, of course. Darned beagles anyway!!!!!

Default Bottom Line

glad you found him.....yes there are nice folks out there. I am glad your buddy found one of them.

Matt, glad to hear he was OK! Kinda funny (funny now that I know you found you 'bud) if you read the thread titles

"Dog Running In Anchorage" followed by
    "Short video of running the beagle" followed by
    "Lost Beagle at Rabbit Slough"

I was like UH-OH!! Been off the forum for a few days and saw all 3 at the same time!

Ha that is funny. Man we need some different topics in here to break the beagle monotony.

That dog is a horrible pet. But hes got a funny personality, hes a great hunter and hes my buddy! The wife im sure is thrilled to have him back Her hatred for that dog is probably what keeps him alive in this world! Wife just cant catch a break when it comes to his demise..
    Sucks when you've got a dog that is such a pain in the ass it's impossible to get rid of him. I've got a shepherd/lab mix that is like that. can't teach him anything, pees in all the wrong places in my yard but, I'm stuck with him
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Sick thing is I want more beagles. And from what I hear if they got hunt in them they are all a pain.

Wife told me last night if I get another one were getting a divorce.

After a lengthly discussion she settled for maybe a female one, that lives outside, after this one is gone.

Sick thing is I want more beagles. And from what I hear if they got hunt in them they are all a pain.

Wife told me last night if I get another one were getting a divorce.

After a lengthly discussion she settled for maybe a female one, that lives outside, after this one is gone.
    May I suggest bassets as a compromise position? One look at a pup and she won't be able to resist it. We had them for years, and in my experience they're at least as good as beagles. They're not so fast and don't push the rabbits so hard, so they're likely to circle sooner and not break out cross country. Best of all if they misbehave I can outrun them in broken country at least. I can hop over lots of things they have to go around, and it sure aids in dog training if you can catch them in the act.

Downside? They're way smarter than beagles, and they'll try to outsmart you at every turn.

How do they handle in the snow Brownbear?

How do they handle in the snow Brownbear?
    They're fine to at least shoulder deep or so (on them) in the soft stuff, but we never tried them any deeper except when there was a crust. That was fine too, until one of our pups got tired and decided to follow in our tracks when we were breaking through. It kept falling in the holes and getting high centered. Funniest thing I've ever seen! But it was smart enough to start parelleling us eventually and the show was over.

I just can't say about snow deep enough to make us ponder snowshoes, because we had beagles by the time we had a winter like that. They struggled and gave up after a couple of hours, but were game till then. Looked more like kangaroos bouncing around. I'd expect about the same from a basset, but it would be a judgement call about your own typical snow conditions, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast